Pre Match Thread

dont_do_it_doug.

Just been watching the 5-1 match. TS should make them all watch it. See how the team should play for each other.  Hear how the fans support them when given something to support. Sure as hell helped me get over yesterday! 

Yep. Probably isn't even aware of the result sadly. Get Lescott or Grealish to get the crowd going after they come out

Just been watching the 5-1 match. TS should make them all watch it. See how the team should play for each other.  Hear how the fans support them when given something to support. Sure as hell helped me get over yesterday! 

Yep. Probably isn't even aware of the result sadly. Get Lescott or Grealish to get the crowd going after they come out

Also, that roar as they come out. Remember it like it was yesterday. Unbelievable. Were never ever going to lose after that. Want it again Tuesday

Take all the local rivalry stuff away and strip it back to basics.

We're playing a Championship side at home in the early stages of the league cup.

Any other Championship side and there would be about 25k there at the most and we would all be expecting a safe passage to the next round.

This is the approach I'm taking. Some people are getting too carried away

We had an anything but a safe passage to get past Notts County. 

and leyton orient the season before and thats without mentioning the others.

Not doubting any of that, but this one is a lot different. The atmosphere at the Notts County game was akin to friendly and that must effect the players. Talk of a half empty stadium in my opinion is premature, this will be close to a sell out and the place will be rocking, the players should all be 'up for it' and thats all we need. I know its a cliché but if we match them for effort we win.

SHA will play exactly the same way as WBA did which is a massive worry.

I read a while ago they've only on average had 40% possession this season in championship games, they like to counter attack home and away,

Gray will be in the premier league before too long, Cotterill is good at set pieces and Donaldson scored a hattrick recently, they will score imo.

Think it will be 1-1 and go into extra time, god knows what happens after that.

Take all the local rivalry stuff away and strip it back to basics.

We're playing a Championship side at home in the early stages of the league cup.

Any other Championship side and there would be about 25k there at the most and we would all be expecting a safe passage to the next round.

This is the approach I'm taking. Some people are getting too carried away

We had an anything but a safe passage to get past Notts County. 

and leyton orient the season before and thats without mentioning the others.

Not doubting any of that, but this one is a lot different. The atmosphere at the Notts County game was akin to friendly and that must effect the players. Talk of a half empty stadium in my opinion is premature, this will be close to a sell out and the place will be rocking, the players should all be 'up for it' and thats all we need. I know its a cliché but if we match them for effort we win.

Wont even be close to a sell out unless we sell 10k tomorrow , trinity , doug ellis and north stand upper are as good as empty at the min, 31-32k maximum in my opinion

Also, that roar as they come out. Remember it like it was yesterday. Unbelievable. Were never ever going to lose after that. Want it again Tuesday

Yep, think the crowd will have a big part to play on Tuesday.  Got to put all the negativity and frustrations to the side for this one and get stuck into em.  

WBA are a far better team than Small Heath and if we had been up for it in the way we were last season they would not have won yesterday.

Both wanted/will want to beat us (as they always do) but the odds on WBA having the means to do so were far greater than those of our knuckle dragging neighbours doing so on Tuesday. 

Our result on Saturday should make our team determined not to put us through it again against Small Heath. This could be closer than it should be and I would therefore accept a 2 goal winning margin rather than the 3+ one I had been looking for previously but nothing less than a win will be good enough (OK I would take a penalty shoot out win rather than a cup exit). 

It is unlikely we will play this lot in the league for many a year so we really need to show the gulf in class that exists between the two clubs in the same way as we did in 1988 when we beat them 5-0 in the League Cup and 6-0 in the Simod Cup at Villa Park within a month. Make it happen Villa. This is not the time to rest players they did enough of that yesterday.       

So no Gana and Adama again. FFS!

http://mobile.avfc.co.uk/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=5016054

Tim Sherwood says Idrissa Gana and Adama Traore are both doubts for the Birmingham City game - but the manager is optimistic about the latest update on the former Barcelona winger.

Gana was due to face West Brom but was forced to pull out on the eve of the game after injuring his hamstring in training.

That makes him a doubt for the Capital One Cup clash.

Traore also looks set to sit out the B6 encounter.

The wideman hasn't featured since coming off against Notts County in the previous round.

But Sherwood revealed that Traore is back in light training at Bodymoor Heath.

He said: "Gana was going to play on Saturday but he had a recurrence of his injury on Friday in training.

"It was a blow and changed the plans - but that happens.

"Traore is getting better.

"He is starting to run outside now. He has the protective boot off.

"I am just listening to the experts and taking their advice.

"He is a young player and we have a long season ahead.

"We don't want to ruin him for the sake of bringing him back too early.

"He's very doubtful for Tuesday."

--------------------Bunn--------------------

--Ilori---Richards--Clark---Amavi---

----------Sanchez---Veretout----------

---Sinclair----Grealish-----Gabby----

--------------------Kozak-------------------

Bring on Gil, Ayew, and Westwood 

• Like 1

At the moment I can't see anything but a defeat and one of the worst evenings I've had as a Villa fan for a long time.

Losing to Birmingham would be the final straw for me. I like Sherwood and I think he will eventually get it right because he is also a relatively new manager, but I think this will crush the squad and ruin morale.