Pre Match Thread

dont_do_it_doug.

For me if sherwood dosnt play gil he is a bellend and i want him out gil has been great going forward he can create somethi g from nothing.

Tim had all that money to spend not out fault he spunked 20m+ on players he dont wanna use. Ayew gestede and veretout remember them tim you took a gamble not getting a number 9 and it is gunna backfire gabby is tosh up front.

The pressure on Sherwood if we lose will be absolutely huge

It sure will.  Especially in the context of the 3 most recent matches being 3 defeats in local derbies.  It doesn't get much worse than that.  It would really help if he could pick his best side very soon.

it would help if he knew it first of all

I'm still predicting a loss but have a feeling TS will change the formation to ensure a more solid defensive showing.

...................Guzan

.......Richards.Lescott.Clark

Bacuna..........................Amavi

.........Westwood.Sanchez

.................Grealish

.............Gabby.Sinclair

• Like 1

I'm still predicting a loss but have a feeling TS will change the formation to ensure a more solid defensive showing.

...................Guzan

.......Richards.Lescott.Clark

Bacuna..........................Amavi

.........Westwood.Sanchez

.................Grealish

.............Gabby.Sinclair

Having stubbornly stuck by his all out attack philosophy against PL opposition, if he goes all defensive against a mid table championship team my patience will be tested to it's limits.

The pressure on Sherwood if we lose will be absolutely huge

It sure will.  Especially in the context of the 3 most recent matches being 3 defeats in local derbies.  It doesn't get much worse than that.  It would really help if he could pick his best side very soon.

it would help if he knew it first of all

True but you get the point.  I imagine Traore might feature in it

Bunn

Hutton Richards lescott Amavi

Veretout Sanchez

Bacuna Gil Jack

Gabby

I think this 4-2-3-1 might play into SHA's hands - they will be expecting it.  Maybe something different like this...

Richards  Clark  Lescott

Hutton        Sanchez         Amavi

Veretout     Gil      Jack

Striker

Bunn

Veretout Sanchez

Bacuna Gil Jack

Gabby

I think this 4-2-3-1 might play into SHA's hands - they will be expecting it.  Maybe something different like this...

Richards  Clark  Lescott

Striker

Simply can't see him going that defensive.

I was about to say I'd be annoyed if Gabby started this game, but actually thinking about it, it's probably the one game I would trust him in.  He will be acutely aware of what this fixture means to all involved and I think he'd do well in it.  I don't assume it would kickstart his season or anything so wildly optimistic like that though.

• Like 3

Bunn

Veretout Sanchez

Bacuna Gil Jack

Gabby

Richards  Clark  Lescott

Striker

Simply can't see him going that defensive.

It thought it looked like a very attacking formation to be honest, with Hutton and Amavi playing as wing backs.  I am no expert on formations but I just checked Wikipedia and it says “the 3–3–3–1 system is a very attacking formation and its compact nature is ideally suited for midfield domination and ball possession. It means a coach can field more attacking players and add extra strength through the spine of the team.”  Probably nothing like what Sherwood will do but midfield domination sounds like a dream after the last few games.

I take a more old school approach to assessing formation's. If half the team get a nose bleed the minute they cross the halfway line, that's defensive ;)

Yes, the formation and its personnel can contradict each other sometimes.

Going put my head above the parapet and say 3 at the back would suit the players. We are likely to get a lot of long balls into the box – from what I saw of blues Friday – so the three big fellas (Richards  Clark  Lescott) at the back should work well.  Amavi and Hutton are always pushing up anyway so this way they get a bit more cover and can strengthen the midfield.  From what I have read about Veretout he favours the right midfield and Jack suits the left.  Gill in the middle as a playmaker makes a lot of sense to me as he can play passes left, right and through the centre.  There you go, I’ve sold this to myself even if others are not convinced!  The unnamed striker is the dilemma....

I say we persist with Gestede unless Tim goes with Kozak for this game, which would surprise me but in a positive sense.  Ultimately Rudy will be good IMHO.  He just needs the game time.  I'd have Bacuna over Hutton in that particular formation as I think it suits his style with the reduced defensive responsibility.  My worry is the amount of load on Sanchez's shoulders with the attacking mids too far forward.  Obviously it depends on how you implement the formation, and the players can track back, although that kind of changes the formation then anyway.  For me it doesn't work because I'd rather have Veretout sitting beside Sanchez, which effectively gives us too many defensive players then.  I think that formation gives too much respect to the noses.  I'm not saying we should be nonchalant and waltz in expecting a win, but I do think as the Premier League side at home we should not be changing our tactics so as to negate what is a lower division threat.

I can't help but worry that Rowett (like Pulis) will have studied the last couple of games and will be setting up to counter our 4-2-3 which seems our standard at the moment.  I expect (hope) Sherwood will have factored this into his own planning, along with an analysis of SHA.  Perhaps, like you say, he believes we should not be changing our tactics to negate a lower division threat, but I might just whisper in his ear that those tactics have not really worked well for us recently.  Wasn't it Einstein that said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Said before the Leicester game I think we'd lose all 3 darbies. Basing that on how we played up to then. We beat Bournemouth but they has enough chances to win it.

Unfortunately I can't see us winning. 1-2 loss. SHA to score first, us to equalise, them to hit us on the break in the last 10 mins to win it.

I feel dirty... :(

Obviously would be happy as anyone of we smash them.

our side doesnt have an identity or character as yet. Feels a lot like a mix and match of individuals, with little quality. Worried the scum will have a much better team spirit and will be up for the fight more than our lot. 

We have to win and play well too. Something to propel us into getting some league form going. Gana is a big loss, looks vital to us already having only played 4 games. 

We need to come out fighting and throw everything we have at them in the first 10-15 minutes. If we're not winning fairly early on, after the past couple of gamesI can see the crowd turning and it'll be an uphill battle.