Adama Traore

mwj

Can see him getting a lot of attention every game now which if used properly should free up space for other players.

This guys acceleration is frightening. Defenders were shitting it. I know we only saw him for 20 odd minutes but this player is a little special isn't he?

The perfect impact sub, for the short-term.

If Tim is going to ease him in gradually, then bringing him off the bench in the second half is perfect. It causes the opposition to reshuffle and panic midway through a game.

Yep, looks ideal impact sub - a lot of people saying he should be starting now, but I'm not so sure. There's no doubt after seeing him today that he can scare any defence in the league - defenders in Premier League are really not used to someone running at them quite so fast & direct. But it might be a case of using him sparingly for maximum effect. 

You don't keep your best players to be used as impact subs. If he's good enough to start then start he should. There is an argument that he should be eased in and this is sensible. However, not all new, young players need easing in Grealish became a regular under Sherwood and was not eased in.

It might be too optimistic to expect him to go a full season but again, using the Grealish comparison, nobody has expressed concerns over Grealish lasting a full season (and he hasn't had a full pre-season)

Traore is only 19 but is physically fully developed. He has not come from a youth set up but has been playing in a competitive adult league in Spain.

I would certainly like to see him start next week against Sunderland, even if he only lasts 60mins. What happens beyond that should be played by ear-Nobody really knows if he's ready until he's tried and once he's tried, nobody really knows if he is strong enough to play all season.

The perfect impact sub, for the short-term.

If Tim is going to ease him in gradually, then bringing him off the bench in the second half is perfect. It causes the opposition to reshuffle and panic midway through a game.

Yep, looks ideal impact sub - a lot of people saying he should be starting now, but I'm not so sure. There's no doubt after seeing him today that he can scare any defence in the league - defenders in Premier League are really not used to someone running at them quite so fast & direct. But it might be a case of using him sparingly for maximum effect. 

You don't keep your best players to be used as impact subs. If he's good enough to start then start he should. There is an argument that he should be eased in and this is sensible. However, not all new, young players need easing in Grealish became a regular under Sherwood and was not eased in.

It might be too optimistic to expect him to go a full season but again, using the Grealish comparison, nobody has expressed concerns over Grealish lasting a full season (and he hasn't had a full pre-season)

Traore is only 19 but is physically fully developed. He has not come from a youth set up but has been playing in a competitive adult league in Spain.

I would certainly like to see him start next week against Sunderland, even if he only lasts 60mins. What happens beyond that should be played by ear-Nobody really knows if he's ready until he's tried and once he's tried, nobody really knows if he is strong enough to play all season.

This is just the sort of thing that Tim is trying to dampen.

We see Traore's impact yesterday and immediately he becomes 'the saviour of Aston Villa' in his first 20 minutes. Now he needs to do it every game otherwise people will be disappointed.

There's more to consider that just is physicality. He'll have the expectation of 40k Villa fans in front of him when he's only just arrived.

Jack has far more experience of Villa, the Premier League and the expectations on his shoulders. He's also has a different personality to which neither of us know personally.

It's easy to have a knee-jerk to the start of the season where we have been far from convincing, to grasp at the nearest ray of light and lean on it it with all the weight of our collective hopes, but I think it would be wrong to do so. 

Also, tactically I think it's easier for the opposition to plan for Traore with the time leading up to a game. Far harder for them to adjust to him during the game, so that could also work in to our advantage.

For the time being, I think he should be coming off the bench. We need to work on and improve our overall gameplay rather than paper over the cracks again with one focal point to our attack. 

Previously, keep Benteke quiet and you kepp Villa quiet. We don't want the same to befall Traore. Players like Ayew, Veretout, Gestede need to be adjusting and offering more so that we have multiple strings to our bow, with Traore punishing some tired legs in the second half of games for the time being IMO.  

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

^ Completely agree. Let's not pin all our hopes and expectations on a 19 year old who has just come to this country and has only played about 2 top flight games in his entire career. Ease him in as an impact sub and then see how he gets on

• Like 1

^ Completely agree. Let's not pin all our hopes and expectations on a 19 year old who has just come to this country and has only played about 2 top flight games in his entire career. Ease him in as an impact sub and then see how he gets on

I'm not sure how stating that "if he's good enough to start, he should do" is claiming that "he's become the saviour of Aston Villa"

What is the point of keeping him as sub, throwing him on for 20 mins to chase a game, if he's goo enough to start?

I personally don't think he's as good as many on here, just as I didn't get carried away with the Okore video. If we ad ined him from Port Vale, there wouldn't be all this "wrap him up in cotton wool" parlarva that we're seeing here. Because he's come from Barcelona, everybody assumes he's going to be the next Messi.

If he's not ready for the first team then he wouldn't have got 20 mins yesterday. I want my team picked on ability and current form, not on reputations or age.

Nobody is pinning all their hopes on the kid, least of all me-I'd wager there would be a much longer YT video of all his mistakes and runs into dead ends-He is far from the finished article BUT, on yesterdays performance, I would start him against Sunderland- That's right, Sunderland. Why would we be bothered about them "tactically planning for one of our players"? Did we ever throw Benteke on for the last 20mins for "impact"?

There is a massive difference between starting with your best 11 and "pinning all your hopes and expectations on a 19 year old"

• Like 1

Promising showing. It seems he will tear you apart if you stand off of him, there is a real explosiveness to his dribbling and the speed at which he can accelerate to full pace and the power he generates while running means he can just leave defenders for dead or have them bounce off of him.
I think defenders will get tight to him just to see what happens. If he can roll them or beat them with a trick then we have a real threat on our hands. The rest of the team need to get in the box more quickly though, often he is whipping balls in and nobody is supporting him. We got lucky with the goal because the only Villa shirt anywhere near the ball was Rudy Gestede and he didn't appear to react until it was too late to get goal side of any defender.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure how stating that "if he's good enough to start, he should do" is claiming that "he's become the saviour of Aston Villa"

What is the point of keeping him as sub, throwing him on for 20 mins to chase a game, if he's goo enough to start?

I personally don't think he's as good as many on here, just as I didn't get carried away with the Okore video. If we ad ined him from Port Vale, there wouldn't be all this "wrap him up in cotton wool" parlarva that we're seeing here. Because he's come from Barcelona, everybody assumes he's going to be the next Messi.

If he's not ready for the first team then he wouldn't have got 20 mins yesterday. I want my team picked on ability and current form, not on reputations or age.

Nobody is pinning all their hopes on the kid, least of all me-I'd wager there would be a much longer YT video of all his mistakes and runs into dead ends-He is far from the finished article BUT, on yesterdays performance, I would start him against Sunderland- That's right, Sunderland. Why would we be bothered about them "tactically planning for one of our players"? Did we ever throw Benteke on for the last 20mins for "impact"?

There is a massive difference between starting with your best 11 and "pinning all your hopes and expectations on a 19 year old"

The 'saviour of Aston Villa' was a direct reference to Sherwood's press conference when he was trying to dampen the hopes of the fans on Traore.

There are factors in considering whether or not to start him. Firstly, how does the team perform when we don't have the ball? Was is the impact on our RB with Traore ahead of him for the full 90? 

Are the other players up to speed to accommodate those minutes when we're chasing possession. I'm not saying he's not a team player as I just don't know, but I'm saying there are plenty of aspects to consider. 

As I mentioned earlier, if you give an opposing manager a week to set him team up to play against Traore, it's possible he could find a solution to snuff out his threat. Bring him on 15 minutes into the second half of a game and he'll shake things up good n proper. The Solksjaer effect if you like.

Do we need to chuck him in at the deep end? I think Tim will want more than just the reliance on a 19 year old talent in order to win games. Let him build up his fitness, adjust to the league, develop an understanding with his teammates before giving him the starting berth IMO.

• Like 2

Electric debut from someone everyone was hyping.

Couple of loose touches, then a stunning assist, followed by genuine fear from Palace when he got the ball. You could hear their uneasy fans when he got the ball.

Farcically fast.

Start v Notts County, 50/50 v Sunderland at the moment. Will need more than boot it past the full back once people are aware of him, which they probably now are.

The 'saviour of Aston Villa' was a direct reference to Sherwood's press conference when he was trying to dampen the hopes of the fans on Traore.

There are factors in considering whether or not to start him. Firstly, how does the team perform when we don't have the ball? Was is the impact on our RB with Traore ahead of him for the full 90? 

Are the other players up to speed to accommodate those minutes when we're chasing possession. I'm not saying he's not a team player as I just don't know, but I'm saying there are plenty of aspects to consider. 

As I mentioned earlier, if you give an opposing manager a week to set him team up to play against Traore, it's possible he could find a solution to snuff out his threat. Bring him on 15 minutes into the second half of a game and he'll shake things up good n proper. The Solksjaer effect if you like.

Do we need to chuck him in at the deep end? I think Tim will want more than just the reliance on a 19 year old talent in order to win games. Let him build up his fitness, adjust to the league, develop an understanding with his teammates before giving him the starting berth IMO.

No disrespect, but a lot of that is just plain crazy.

If any of the so called "factors" were relevant, what would have been the point in signing him? We are not going to build an entire team around Traore-He is going to fit into ours. If this was a problem for the right back then the right back should not be playing football at this level. I look at the other side of the coin-With that pace, he can make ground back, as Gabby often does. If people worried about full backs every time an attack minded wide player was on the pitch, we would be in a very sad state.

We are playing Sunderland at home next week, not Man City. Do we really need to be worrying about an impact 20 mins from time in this game? Whether he starts or not will not become known until just before kick off so there is no chance Sunderland could prepare for him more or less than they will anyhow. All teams have players who can change the game-You are worrying far too much about opposition managers-Over concentrating on one opposition player will just leave gaps for other players to exploit.

Sherwood has a reputation of giving youngsters a chance-Harry Kane being the obvious example. There is no harm whatsoever in giving Traore 60 mins and taking it from there. He is 2 or 3 years younger than a few of our players, not 10. You are over concerning yourself with his age.

Pardew: "That substitute they bought on is the quickest thing I've seen" :D

And he manages Zaha, Sako, Puncheon, Gayle and Bolasie!

• Like 1

I didn't see game yet. In comparison who is he as fast as. i.e Lennon

Imo he's the quickest off the mark I have ever seen!

Bolt? Gatlin? ;)
OK, correction, whilst dribbling a football (and keeping it under control. As I've seen Bolt play football and unfortunately for Man Utd he can't do both)!

Personally the whole ease him in because he is young I don't agree with. If your good enough you play, if not you sit on the bench. I do though see the logic in easing him in over the next couple of weeks to get his match sharpness up to scratch. IMO the only way he will adjust to the league is to play, 20min here and there isn't going to do that and as much as starting games will. He is inevitably going to make mistakes as with Amavi yesterday however the important thing is the fans don't pelt him when he does as it could really knock him. 

I think we have two very winnable games coming up at home against county and sunderland which would be ideal for Adama, Gil, Veretout and Ayew to get good game time and all increase their fitness. I hope this happens.

• Like 1

I didn't see game yet. In comparison who is he as fast as. i.e Lennon

Imo he's the quickest off the mark I have ever seen!
Bolt? Gatlin? ;)
OK, correction, whilst dribbling a football (and keeping it under control. As I've seen Bolt play football and unfortunately for Man Utd he can't do both)!

Good job I didnt say Gabby then :)

Â