Pre-Match thread

roonst83

I can't remember a season opening day where the opinion of the press and the opinion of the fans was so far apart. 

There's a real feeling in the media that we've flirted with relegation for the last few seasons and we're weaker now.

There's a real feeling amongst the fanbase that we've flirted with relegation for the last few seasons and we're stronger now.

Our spending seems to have gone unnoticed; I'm hopeful we can shut a few people up.

• Like 2

Hardly any of the press are tipping us to go down though....again the Daily Mail supplement yesterday had 10 of their writers giving their predictions and only one (Ian Ladyman) had us as bottom three. 

Most have lazily gone for the three promoted teams or two of them and Leicester or Sunderland.

I really thought it would be a lot worse considering we've lost our main striker and a key midfielder.

Just thinking back to today, tens of millions spent on new forwards....and still Gabby will probably worm his way into the starting 11. Cat with about 100 lives here, he better do something today as he hasn't got a free pass here anymore for 5 month goal droughts.

I can't remember a season opening day where the opinion of the press and the opinion of the fans was so far apart. 

There's a real feeling in the media that we've flirted with relegation for the last few seasons and we're weaker now.

There's a real feeling amongst the fanbase that we've flirted with relegation for the last few seasons and we're stronger now.

Our spending seems to have gone unnoticed; I'm hopeful we can shut a few people up.

Can't really disagree with anything I've seen in the media - I can't subscribe to the notion that a bit of transfer activity equates to a massive spike in the optimism gauge after losing our two best players, maybe it's the complete lack of exciting windows the past few years.

We've arguably strengthened the midfield and left-back provided they are able to hit the ground running - past experience would tell you it can be up to a full season before we see the best of certain players.

We've lost one of the best strikers the club has ever had and whilst I agree with the apparent policy of not looking for a like-for-like replacement, there is no real guarantee where the goals will come from. Central defence has been an issue since we had one solid season of Dunne and Collins prior to Houllier and I don't think we've solved it by subtracting Vlaar and adding Micah Richards.

I really do hope we can get a result today, after all on paper Bournemouth are one of the weaker teams in the league but the wider implications going into the season are still worrying. Haven't been this interested to see how the team will play since Lambert's first game against West Ham though - let's hope it's not as disappointing this time around!

• Like 1

Can't really disagree with anything I've seen in the media - I can't subscribe to the notion that a bit of transfer activity equates to a massive spike in the optimism gauge after losing our two best players, maybe it's the complete lack of exciting windows the past few years.

We've arguably strengthened the midfield and left-back provided they are able to hit the ground running - past experience would tell you it can be up to a full season before we see the best of certain players.

We've lost one of the best strikers the club has ever had and whilst I agree with the apparent policy of not looking for a like-for-like replacement, there is no real guarantee where the goals will come from. Central defence has been an issue since we had one solid season of Dunne and Collins prior to Houllier and I don't think we've solved it by subtracting Vlaar and adding Micah Richards.

I really do hope we can get a result today, after all on paper Bournemouth are one of the weaker teams in the league but the wider implications going into the season are still worrying. Haven't been this interested to see how the team will play since Lambert's first game against West Ham though - let's hope it's not as disappointing this time around!

The team fielded against West Ham was one of the worst Villa team I can ever remember. On paper this team looks a lot stronger.

A must win

Opening day must win, away to promoted side and using several new signings? Where did I put that Jennifer Lawrence gif?
  • Like 3

Perfect time of year/weather for an away day to Bournemouth, regardless of the result! I'd be tempted to go to the beach rather than the game if I was making the trip!

• Like 1

I think this is wrong. I think its close ot impossible to say whether were stronger now or not. Majority of us have no idea on how well the new signings are right now or how good they will become. 

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1