Pre-Match thread

roonst83

Really think our weakest selection today will be in midfield. We only brought in 2 players there and with Veretout being around barely a week I'm predicting the bench for him. Expecting us to line up 4-3-3

Start: Guzan, Hutton, Richards, Clark, Amavi, Westwood, Bacuna, Gueye, Sinclair, Ayew, Kozak

Bench: Bunn, Baker, Crespo (if fit), Veretout, Sanchez (if fit), Getsede, Gabby

There wont be much upheaval there. Richards has been around all summer so should be well integrated and Sinclair doesn't count as a new signing. That would leave Ayew Gueye Amavi? as the new boys and they look pretty well ingrained already. Veretout and Gestede off the bench are nice options

Really think our weakest selection today will be in midfield. We only brought in 2 players there and with Veretout being around barely a week I'm predicting the bench for him. Expecting us to line up 4-3-3

Start: Guzan, Hutton, Richards, Clark, Amavi, Westwood, Bacuna, Gueye, Sinclair, Ayew, Kozak

this seems about right to me. Maybe gabby instead of Ayew though

Edited by gharperr

this seems about right to me. Maybe gabby instead of Ayew though
I'd have thought that until I watched that video of Ayew in pre season and he just seemed to want the ball everywhere like Grealish does. I'm thinking that might be a challenge for Bournemouth who are probably going to be nervous to break ranks at the back given it would increase their chances of losing. Sending on gabby with 30 minutes left is a nightmare for most defences too Edited by Tubby

I'd go 4-3-3 with Sanchez rather than Westwood.

Give him the clear role to protect the back 4 like he has for Colombia and i think he'll be very good

I think there's a lot of sense in this. Although it's also a bit of a wrench to leave Westwood out and I think he is a big part of Tim's plans, away from home against a team that built a reputation for attacking football last season, a DM like Sanchez to break up their play would be the right choice IMO. Used correctly he could be a big player for us this season.

Excited about which team Tim will pick.

For me, Tim has his hands tied with his selection. Veretout and Gestede aren't fit enough yet and Okore, Gil and Grealish are injured. Not ideal at all and leaves us with the same team to field that we've been struggling in pre season with.

This is the most interesting start to a season for many a year. I have absolutely no idea how we will fare today or indeed for the remainder of the season, but I think we have to give this team time to gel and find their feet. Fascinating. 

• Like 2