Pre-Match thread

roonst83

I can't remember a season opening day where the opinion of the press and the opinion of the fans was so far apart.

There's a real feeling in the media that we've flirted with relegation for the last few seasons and we're weaker now.

There's a real feeling amongst the fanbase that we've flirted with relegation for the last few seasons and we're stronger now.

Our spending seems to have gone unnoticed; I'm hopeful we can shut a few people up.

I think this is wrong. I think its close ot impossible to say whether were stronger now or not. Majority of us have no idea on how well the new signings are right now or how good they will become.

I think we will finish top half.

I can't remember a season opening day where the opinion of the press and the opinion of the fans was so far apart.

There's a real feeling in the media that we've flirted with relegation for the last few seasons and we're weaker now.

There's a real feeling amongst the fanbase that we've flirted with relegation for the last few seasons and we're stronger now.

Our spending seems to have gone unnoticed; I'm hopeful we can shut a few people up.

I think this is wrong. I think its close ot impossible to say whether were stronger now or not. Majority of us have no idea on how well the new signings are right now or how good they will become.
That's why he said 'feeling'. The general mood is one of optimism. Whether it's right or not, that's the reality of how the majority of fans feel after this summer. He's right that the meeja seem to be much more downbeat about us.

Whilst I'm still giddy with preseason optimism (which will no doubt be replaced with the impending sense of doom over the next few months, as usual) - it'll be nice to get back to actually playing football rather than having to try and fill the time with endless scrutiny of summer kickabouts with jumpers for goalposts, off season antics and searching through sensible soccer ratings as to whether anyone's new signings are going to be any good.

But the opening weekend is as poor a barometer as any of that as to how things will be in the final shakedown at the end of the season.  We've been mugged off on several occassions by newly promoted teams on the opening day, we caused general chaos and people to become overly shouty and pointy when we did Arsenal over 2 years ago and no-one gave two hoots about picking up 3 points on a sunny Saturday afternoon at Stoke last year.

I'd much rather have performances than points at this time of the season - 10 points in the bag after 4 games is all very well and good, but if you're not playing well enough to consistently earn more it'll paper over more cracks than a maderia cake factory (GBBO reference, check).  I'd take a point now, but I'd be happier with a more cohesive team plan than looking to have 1 shot all game and hope it goes in.

That said, we're going there as party poopers - though I don't think we've got the manager to send a team out to soak up pressure and hoof it up to Gabby to chase after for 90 minutes.

• Like 2

Just have no idea what yo expect. Am hoping this go back to goal negative rubbish we saw so commonly used last season us the thing of the past and now we have a new style of play

I want to see more guts and belief if we see that I think we see a huge improvement

One of the most intriguing games we've had in years. No idea what to make of it. I could see us spoil Bournemouth's party in spectacular fashion, equally I could see us turn up and roll over with a whimper to a fired up promoted side.

No idea. I hope I at least see the seeds of big strides toward improvement. There's potential there for sure.

Delph has said he might play the first half, but he might not, so don't wait. Start without him, but he'll deffo turn up. Hopefully. Having a crazy day, see you later. Fingers crossed. Got to pop to the bank first.

• Like 2

Would love it if we won this, not least because I'm fed up of the media wankfest over Bournemouth.

You have no idea how weird that sounds to someone who grew up watching them.

And I think they deserve it (the wankfest). They have worked hard, come from nowhere... it really is a fantastic story.

• Like 1

We can now officially sing… 

Oh i do like to be beside the seaside… Oh i do like to be beside the sea… You know the rest  ;)

And lulu's & lulu's

Edited by Kingman

Would love it if we won this, not least because I'm fed up of the media wankfest over Bournemouth.

And I think they deserve it (the wankfest). They have worked hard, come from nowhere... it really is a fantastic story.

They do to an extent (although it's still annoying) but you can tell that everyone in the media is desperate to see us get beat so they can have their precious "fairytale" story.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

They do to an extent (although it's still annoying) but you can tell that everyone in the media is desperate to see us get beat so they can have their precious "fairytale" story.

You git. After telling me that there is no conspiracy all summer, you now find one.

GET OUT!  :D