Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

Needs game time but with 1 up front it's a difficult conundrum whether we can invest the time while not winning. I am sure he has the making of a decent player, the long contract suggests the management do too. Difficult days for all new players. Benteke started slowly too.

Benteke started slowly? Your memory must be off thunderball, he was great from the off.

He's started off slowly for Liverpool though :)

If you go to the first few pages of the Benteke thread people were comparing him to Heskey as the start. He was messing up a lot of good chances.  

Needs game time but with 1 up front it's a difficult conundrum whether we can invest the time while not winning. I am sure he has the making of a decent player, the long contract suggests the management do too. Difficult days for all new players. Benteke started slowly too.

Benteke started slowly? Your memory must be off thunderball, he was great from the off.

If you go to the first few pages of the Benteke thread people were comparing him to Heskey as the start. He was messing up a lot of good chances.  

Yeah he was shit at the start for us too. I was at the WBA match at VP.. and Benteke started and he was horrible. Bent came on and got the equaliser. He had a few rough months at the start. Kicked on in the back end of that season. 

I'd say 2 goals in his first 10 games is starting pretty slowly,

Ah, "lies, damn lies and..[football] statistics", eh?

2 goals in his first 10 LEAGUE games, OK. But then 3 goals in his first 11 and 5 in his first 14.

Or if you just take the first 10 games he played for villa in all comps, it's 4 in his first 10.

So I guess it's where you decide to start and stop counting, and what you count. ;)

Anyway, this thread is about Ayew and it would be good to stop talking about Benteke here.

• Like 1

Stats don't always explain everything, Benteke was great from the off imo.

As Briny has said this is about Ayew, as I have already said I believe he will be one of the better signing Sherwood made this summer he just needs time to settle.

I just don't think he suits our formation. 

Which one? The 4-3-3, the 4-5-1 or the 4-4-2? 

Rest assured we will use several formations this season and when he adapts to his team mates and the pace he will be fine. Give the lad a chance.

I just don't think he suits our formation. 

Which one? The 4-3-3, the 4-5-1 or the 4-4-2? 

Rest assured we will use several formations this season and when he adapts to his team mates and the pace he will be fine. Give the lad a chance.

Seems more suited for a two striker formation in my opinion. 

I'd say 2 goals in his first 10 games is starting pretty slowly,

Ah, "lies, damn lies and..[football] statistics", eh?

2 goals in his first 10 LEAGUE games, OK. But then 3 goals in his first 11 and 5 in his first 14.

Or if you just take the first 10 games he played for villa in all comps, it's 4 in his first 10.

So I guess it's where you decide to start and stop counting, and what you count. ;)

Anyway, this thread is about Ayew and it would be good to stop talking about Benteke here.

He only played 10 minutes in the fourth game also.

So you could say its two in 6 or 7. He wasnt even signed in the first couple of games. Didnt have any preseason too.

Not trying to say bad things about Ayew, I appreaciate him needing time. I was just talking about Bentekes beginning.

We haven't seen enough of Ayew to make a decision. Even if he'd have played every minute so far it'd still be way to early to decide. He scores goals at International level and in top flight football in France so he's not a bad player yet people are writing him off as if he's worse than Jordan Bowery! As mentioned Benteke was written off in the same sort of fashion when he started playing and he turned out OK. 

Sorry but Ayew and Gestede look like terrible business, for the combined fee we could have signed better quality to come straight into the first team. 

Ayew looks terribly off the pace and generally lacking in ability to me. I said at the time we bid that he was poor and sadly I've yet to be proved wrong on this one. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â