Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

On 12/22/2016 at 22:50, osmark86 said:

Seriously, whatever happened to patience with players? Ayew is a good footballer in a period of bad form. He just might be pivotal for us this season once he returns to form.

Agreed.

7 league goals last season was pretty much a minor miracle in that side. The difference now is that he's playing wide in a 4-4-2 most the time. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

It doesn't matter what position he plays. He makes stupid decisions in all of them. He is a fundamentally flawed player and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. His style is engrained.

I honestly feel that's harsh on a player that scored 7 goals in a dreadful team last season. I also don't agree that he can't improve on his decision making but we'll have to agree to disagree.

20 minutes ago, striker said:

I honestly feel that's harsh on a player that scored 7 goals in a dreadful team last season. I also don't agree that he can't improve on his decision making but we'll have to agree to disagree.

Well he has shown zero improvement in it over the course of 49 games for the club, it seems unlikely to me that he would suddenly start to improve.

9 goals in 49 appearances he has managed. And people think he is being harshly criticised and think we should be building the side around him. I just don't see what others see in him.

I get what people see in him, but I think it's mostly style over substance. His ability on the ball can't be questioned - he's got bags of ability - but his decision making is infuriating at best. I agree with God in that he is one player who can hold his head high after last season. I don't doubt his application and effort. But he's exactly the sort of player I find it hard to warm to.

2 hours ago, striker said:

Gestede got 5 but people were even more harsh on him

• Like 1

I think he has attributes that are valuable to a side.

whether it's his form, i am unsure, but he doesn't force the issue enough for me.....not direct enough.

He is a talent , no doubt, I have barked on about that enough on here.....you have to apply that talent to get an effect.....He has to use it to force issues, instead of going round and round in circles like a carousel.

Edited by TRO

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Well he has shown zero improvement in it over the course of 49 games for the club, it seems unlikely to me that he would suddenly start to improve.

9 goals in 49 appearances he has managed. And people think he is being harshly criticised and think we should be building the side around him. I just don't see what others see in him.

From the wing. 

Who has said we should be building the side around him? I think that's a step too far. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

From the wing. 

Who has said we should be building the side around him? I think that's a step too far. 

9 goals in 49 games isn't too bad considering how awful we have been for 40 of those games. 

On 12/22/2016 at 15:38, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Expand? Personally I've been watching football for 25 years, I feel like I know instinctively whether a player is working hard or not. I don't think there's any basis for questioning Ayew on this.

Even compared to the current squad under Bruce, who are to a man putting a shift in, he's still one of the standout contributers in terms of workrate, in my opinion. 

To expand I think he's capable of a hell of a lot more to be honest.

That's what frustrates me about him. Not at all a personal attack on the player.

That being said he's not the only one who could improve drastically! 

23 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

From the wing. 

You know full well that a pretty small number of those games were as a wide forward, most were as a central striker. He has rarely if ever played as a winger and certainly not enough to excuse his poor scoring record especially this season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

You know full well that a pretty small number of those games were as a wide forward, most were as a central striker. He has rarely if ever played as a winger and certainly not enough to excuse his poor scoring record especially this season.

You know full well that he had zero service last season. Every single one of those goals was self made, cutting in from the wing. 

If he did play as a striker last season it was never obvious that he was doing so. In fact, to infer that we had a 'shape' of any kind is lunacy.

He, like most of them, has not had a proper manager to guide him here until Bruce came along. His form has fallen off the cliff at an inconvenient moment, but it's way too soon to write anyone off IMO. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You know full well that he had zero service last season. Every single one of those goals was self made, cutting in from the wing. 

If he did play as a striker last season it was never obvious that he was doing so. In fact, to infer that we had a 'shape' of any kind is lunacy.

He, like most of them, has not had a proper manager to guide him here until Bruce came along. His form has fallen off the cliff at an inconvenient moment, but it's way too soon to write anyone off IMO. 

I want to believe this, especially the last part. Jordan just makes it so hard.

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

I want to believe this, especially the last part. Jordan just makes it so hard.

He's got the ability, I can't comprehend somebody saying he hasn't. Yes, N'Zogbia had the ability, but Ayew also puts it in. 

So what's missing? Consistency. Confidence perhaps. It'll either come to him or it won't and we will let him go, but I feel like we should give it chance. 

I don't doubt his ability, nor do I think it's a question of confidence, to me it's more a question of very poor decisionmaking and a lack of intelligence. I honestly doubt Bruce will be able to change this. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Needs to do it more often, not as though he isn't capable of it.

I agree, but today he was our get out of jail free card. Not only the assist but that tackle was magnificent. 

People have asked what 'we' see in him. Well, that. 

• Like 1

Â