Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

43 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hasn't really offered much at all yet...

Out of 2 players offering very little I'd prefer to keep the player who at least has a bit of an excuse with injuries and who, should he begin to offer something, it will be different to the 3/4 players already offering something in attack.

Plus I think we would get more money for ayew.

19 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Out of 2 players offering very little I'd prefer to keep the player who at least has a bit of an excuse with injuries and who, should he begin to offer something, it will be different to the 3/4 players already offering something in attack.

Plus I think we would get more money for ayew.

This is a reasonable point. Though we are also short of wingers, Ayew himself being one of those we have capable of playing there. His versatility is an asset. 

I just don't see the need to sell any of them frankly. 

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I just don't see the need to sell any of them frankly. 

I think there's a need to balance up the side. I think Jordan is one of our better players and because of that forces his way into the side. 

Despite our upturn in fortunes which I'm obviously delighted with, I still find the team woefully unbalanced and I'm still left not really knowing where half the team is playing. 

I disagree with regards your point on versatility. I don't think he is necessarily versatile. More that he is not demanding of a specific role. That's why I think he will always be a bit of a luxury player who happened to stand out in our darkest hour.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Sell McCormack before Ayew...

In any case Jordan won't be in this country in January so can't see him moving anyway.

Really don't think we should sell ANY of our better players until we are back in the Premier League, and even then ONLY if the are being upgraded. Like a version of Jordan Ayew with better decision making etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Why are we selling players?

Are we in some sort of financial difficulty?

An ingrained mentality courtesy of our former beloved owner.

It will take a while for supporters to move from the idea we need to sell players to stay above water, to thinking we need to buy players to beat Real Madrid in the Champions League final. But if anyone can create that shift of thought, the Doc can!

Surely if proven Championship goalscorers like McCormack and Gestede are struggling to break into the starting 11 that is excellent for us? 

Ayew is a player that on his day can provide us with something that not many Championship teams have. If he isn't making noises about leaving we should be keeping a hold of him.

This is as ridiculous as suggesting that we should sell Elphick because he isn't getting into the starting 11.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Ayew is a player that on his day can provide us with something that not many Championship teams have.

Exactly. He may not be a good finisher, but his ability to beat a man is second to none in the division. If we sell him, who exactly are we going to replace him with? I'd argue he was too good for a relegation battling team in the Premier League, so he's certainly too good for the Championship. You aren't going to sign someone nearly as good as him in our current position IMO

• Like 4

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Exactly. He may not be a good finisher, but his ability to beat a man is second to none in the division. If we sell him, who exactly are we going to replace him with? I'd argue he was too good for a relegation battling team in the Premier League, so he's certainly too good for the Championship. You aren't going to sign someone nearly as good as him in our current position IMO

Is the correct answer.

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

Surely if proven Championship goalscorers like McCormack and Gestede are struggling to break into the starting 11 that is excellent for us? 

Ayew is a player that on his day can provide us with something that not many Championship teams have. If he isn't making noises about leaving we should be keeping a hold of him.

This is as ridiculous as suggesting that we should sell Elphick because he isn't getting into the starting 11.

My point concerning selling Elphick wasn't anything to do with him not being in the starting 11. It was due to him being too slow and other teams identifying that weakness and continually trying to exploit it.

Ayew on the other hand is a player I enjoy watching because like Grealish he runs at defenders and has the confidence and ability to do something out of the ordinary. Grant it he can be greedy but he creates space for others to run into by dragging defenders towards him and he tracks back.

3 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Why are we selling players?

Are we in some sort of financial difficulty?

At least we've upgraded from where we were in the summer when many peeps felt it would be a good idea to just jettison half the squad for nothing (plus incurred additional costs in cancelling contracts)

• Like 1

Â