Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

There was a lot of negative confirmation bias in the match thread regarding Ayew.

Every single pass, move or attack of his in the first half seemed to be micro-analysed and shoe-horned into the pre-existing opinion that he's shit / greedy / lazy / doesn't want to be here*  (*delete as appropriate) 

It was only in the second half where he was actually very good did we see more positive comments. If it's like that on here, perhaps it's fair to say that it's like that in the crowd too? 

Yes he's been greedy, and yes he doesn't always play the right pass, but I don't think his effort can be faulted and he really does have it in his locker to make things happen. He's going to be hugely influential as to where we finish this season IMO.

The bolded bits: Excellent description of any football forum.

Forest were time wasting by not collecting the ball to take a throw in - he chucked it at one of their players to suggest they should hurry up. I don't get the attitude problem there?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fight Like Lions said:

Played very well today but his attitude still stinks. Shouldn't be getting booked for throwing the ball away no matter how frustrated you are. 

That should have been in response to this. Damn phone ;)

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Forest were time wasting by not collecting the ball to take a throw in - he chucked it at one of their players to suggest they should hurry up. Idon't get the attitude problem there?

I'd rather he did what he did than just stand there and wait like everyone else tbh

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

I have criticised him a lot recently for making the wrong decisions and flattering to deceive but today he created both goals so fair play to him. 

Mind you I don't understand how he failed to convert that cross in the first half.  Seemed to try to chest it into the net or something. 

4 hours ago, Fight Like Lions said:

Played very well today but his attitude still stinks. Shouldn't be getting booked for throwing the ball away no matter how frustrated you are. 

It shows he cares, I think criticising him for that is going a step to far. We know by now that his emotions can get the better of him but I'm fine with it, you get to the good with the bad in everything. I reckon that if a few more of our squad from last year had mustered the care factor Jordan shows we may be well have not been humiliated and etched in record books for eternity (for the wrong reasons).

Lets stop analysing his every move and get behind him. I strongly believe if we are to get promoted Ayew will have to be player of the season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

It shows he cares, I think criticising him for that is going a step to far. We know by now that his emotions can get the better of him but I'm fine with it, you get to the good with the bad in everything. I reckon that if a few more of our squad from last year had mustered the care factor Jordan shows we may be well have not been humiliated and etched in record books for eternity (for the wrong reasons).

Lets stop analysing his every move and get behind him. I strongly believe if we are to get promoted Ayew will have to be player of the season.

I thought he had an excellent game today and was certainly man of the match.

However this is exactly what I'd be criticising him for. He has managed to pick up four bookings in six games without putting in a bad challenge. I don't see how picking up pointless yellow cards is showing he cares. He's not the only one in the squad culpable but our disciplinary record is horrendous this season with a stupid number of yellow cards for dissent and the like and it will hit us hard with suspensions in the future. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

I thought he had an excellent game today and was certainly man of the match.

However this is exactly what I'd be criticising him for. He has managed to pick up four bookings in six games without putting in a bad challenge. I don't see how picking up pointless yellow cards is showing he cares. He's not the only one in the squad culpable but our disciplinary record is horrendous this season with a stupid number of yellow cards for dissent and the like and it will hit us hard with suspensions in the future. 

I must confess, I did not know he had reached 4 yellows already. That being the case and for that reason only he needs to calm down a bit. My comment was in general, he gets a lot a flak for being lazy and selfish. He is certainly not lazy despite his demeanour and I dont think he is selfish, he proved it today, he just doesnt always make the right decision. Argurment is that because he doesn't smile and he isnt Lionel Messi he is crap and we should get rid of....

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

I must confess, I did not know he had reached 4 yellows already. That being the case and for that reason only he needs to calm down a bit. My comment was in general, he gets a lot a flak for being lazy and selfish. He is certainly not lazy despite his demeanour and I dont think he is selfish, he proved it today, he just doesnt always make the right decision. Argurment is that because he doesn't smile and he isnt Lionel Messi he is crap and we should get rid of....

I'd agree that he gets unnecessary stick about his attitude. I don't doubt for one minute that he cares and he's giving his all. However, to get one yellow card for dissent is understandable but picking one up every match is stupid and it shouldn't take 4 yellows for him to grow up and get on with it. 

None of this takes away from the fact he had a great game and is one of our better players. He just needs to cut out the needless bookings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I have criticised him a lot recently for making the wrong decisions and flattering to deceive but today he created both goals so fair play to him. 

Mind you I don't understand how he failed to convert that cross in the first half.  Seemed to try to chest it into the net or something. 

I just don't think he expected the ball to reach him. 

As somebody who has heavily critisced Jordan Ayew, it would be unjust if I didn't post this. He may not be a world beater, and that was never my criticism, but what he showed yesterday was that he is up for the fight. I am very impressed with how he he applied himself and I am very happy to say that it looks like I got him wrong . He worked his socks off. 

More of the same please Jordan! 

• Like 2

This game summed him up for me.  First half he was too selfish, second half as soon as he became a team player we scored two goals.  He has to realise he's playing in a team.  He's one of our best players but in his selfish mood I wouldn't start him, in his team player mood he would be one of the first on the team sheet.

• Like 1

He's a Phantom.

At times, I see a vision of N'Zogbia's blind dribbling. Other times, I swear I see shades of Sinclair's lack of end product in his play. Still other times, I see the spectre of Tonev's goal shooting ability.

Then again, I see him ghost past players like they weren't there. Or play a heavenly ball to another player. Or shoot from distance and threaten the life of both keeper and the frame of the goal.

He's a damn Phantom, I tell you. The Ghost who walks....

.. or, maybe, the Ghost who frowns.

• Like 2

He's probably our most talented player, but he is very much playing like a striker forced to play in midfield.

I hope he's moved back up front when Adomah comes in.

Kodija looked promising so atm I'd probably drop McCormack who's looked a bit unfit and off the pace.

Can't really fit all our strikers in the team, playing a 1 man midfield really is not an option.

He clearly got told about his distribution at half time. First half, he was running with the ball, drawing players to him, then failing to release or took a shot on that wasn't any good. Also, he didn't cross enough we having chance. 

Second half, he was a much better player. He released the ball at the right times and provided some good crosses too. 

Nobody can argue that he's frustrating at times but, on the flip side, nobody can argue that he looks our best and most dangerous player too. He set up two goals, laid a couple of other good chances on and also hit the bar. Definitely MOTM for me. 

Anyone else find it odd that everyone went out of their way to celebrate the goals with him and pat him on the back for his contribution. He looks like a lad who's dog just died and I think it's clear he doesn't want to be at Villa. The rest of the players in the squad seem keen to try to keep him involved and make him happy. McScoremack especially made a point to thank him in a sort of "this is what happens when you pass the bloody ball" gesture.   

Yeah I thought that, may be because for the first he just turned emotionless and walked back. He just doesnt seem to care that much about clebrating, fair enough, his choice, but the fans want to see it, so why not just get involved? But he was good yesterday and I would have him in the team every week for sure. But I do think both his assists had a touch of fortune to them. But that is being overly harsh. More of the same please Jordan. 

Â