Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

I'd just tell him "We won't offer you Champions League but a few good seasons with us in the Premier League and you'll have plenty of offers" I mean he's 21.. He could spend 2 years at Villa before Man Utd swoop in and still be so far away from his peak years.

• Like 1

I'd just tell him "We won't offer you Champions League but a few good seasons with us in the Premier League and you'll have plenty of offers" I mean he's 21.. He could spend 2 years at Villa before Man Utd swoop in and still be so far away from his peak years.

Exactly, it's not the best precedent to set but it's also something that has worked for other clubs in the past. Over the past 6 years I felt we lacked that vision.

Might as well have a top young player and get a reputation for developing stars than be a club nobody see the benefit of coming too. Under that model if you get enough talent you always convince a few to stick around.

• Like 1

We are the perfect club for someone of his ability and his age, as long as we buck the relegation flirtation that has become the norm.

Two seasons playing every week, in the shop window, in the most lucrative league in the world with 4 big teams waiting to pay big money if you succeed.

• Like 1

I'm very naive about such matters, as I'm sure many others necessarily are, but how exactly would one approach a player (and his represenatives) with this 'Stepping Stone' argument?  Would this be implied or stated outright?  Would it be reduced to technical contractual details or discussed openly?

I'm genuinely super-curious.  Anyone have any ideas or insight?

I'm very naive about such matters, as I'm sure many others necessarily are, but how exactly would one approach a player (and his represenatives) with this 'Stepping Stone' argument?  Would this be implied or stated outright?  Would it be reduced to technical contractual details or discussed openly?

I know nothing, but I'd be amazed if it was discussed openly. It doesn't need to be. You wouldn't mention wanting to work for a different company in a job interview.

I would hope we would not use that possibility openly during any transfer talks. It could be that the agent and player would already have worked that out.

I would like to think that Tim would offer him the opportunity to increase his present salary, play in the PL and to do so with a massive team that he is in the process of building into a top six club.

Â