Micah Richards

Demitri_C

One concern I do have with Richards is his tackles always seem to be very last ditch, not bad if you have one central defender like that but Lescotts the same as well, we could do with a centre half that could stay on his feet more 

1. Surely if his tackles are "last ditch" as you put it he is staying on his feet until the last moment before going to ground or making the challenge/block?

2. Generally when a defender makes a challenge it is more often than not in the final third and the last line of defence before opponents are in on goal. Most tackles are at the last moment as players are taught to stay on their feet as long as possible looking to intercept the ball before going to ground. It's what good defenders do!

3. Richards for all the crap from some about not being a CB, or too rash, or the general not good enough, has been absolutely solid carrying out his duties over the first 5 games at centre half. Okay he isn't McGrath, Laursen or Mellberg but he is a definite upgrade on what we have had the last few years and will get better. A massive plus for me having him and one of our stand out players so far. 

Out of all the posts I've ever read - I think this is the one that I disagree with the most. For ease, I've numbered the various points.

1. That's not what 'last ditch' tackling is and you know that.
2. No, they don't. Defenders make challenges within their own half and at many different times and it's not often that they'll commit if they are the last line. They have to stay on their feet and stay between the attacker and the goal, creating as much pressure as possible - only making a challenge if an opportunity to do so arises, or better still holding the opposition up until another player can double up and take the ball. 
3. He really isn't an upgrade on Vlaar or Okore, a downgrade if anything. At 27, how is he going to make up for one of his biggest problems - his lack of experience in that position? You can't just pull it out of your arse. 

The thing that is most frustrating is that throughout this time, we've had to suffer Bacuna at RB, when we've got a guy who's a top 6 RB playing at being something he's not. 

• Like 1

He just doesn't inspire me with confidence

Everything seems so desperate about his play the polar opposite of Lescott he seems calm knowledgeable but slow maybe they can work together as a pair as opposites kind of work like that but the 2nd half against Leicester they were ropey

Pretty much where I am, I can't quite pinpoint anything in order to debate,  yet I feel uneasy watching him. The air of desperation to his play that you mention is probably a factor. He's got a bit of David Luis about him in my mind, he will sometimes pop up on the left wing for instance and your thinking 'what the bloody hell is a Center halve doing there'. I also think he gets drawn to the ball too often in situations where he should just be holding his position. 

Though this sounds like a very negative post I don't think there is anything that can't be improved upon. Let's not forget that whilst coming through the ranks as a Center halve he hasn't played (for various reasons) an awful lot of top flight senior football at CB. 

One concern I do have with Richards is his tackles always seem to be very last ditch, not bad if you have one central defender like that but Lescotts the same as well, we could do with a centre half that could stay on his feet more 

1. Surely if his tackles are "last ditch" as you put it he is staying on his feet until the last moment before going to ground or making the challenge/block?

2. Generally when a defender makes a challenge it is more often than not in the final third and the last line of defence before opponents are in on goal. Most tackles are at the last moment as players are taught to stay on their feet as long as possible looking to intercept the ball before going to ground. It's what good defenders do!

3. Richards for all the crap from some about not being a CB, or too rash, or the general not good enough, has been absolutely solid carrying out his duties over the first 5 games at centre half. Okay he isn't McGrath, Laursen or Mellberg but he is a definite upgrade on what we have had the last few years and will get better. A massive plus for me having him and one of our stand out players so far. 

Out of all the posts I've ever read - I think this is the one that I disagree with the most. For ease, I've numbered the various points.

1. That's not what 'last ditch' tackling is and you know that.
2. No, they don't. Defenders make challenges within their own half and at many different times and it's not often that they'll commit if they are the last line. They have to stay on their feet and stay between the attacker and the goal, creating as much pressure as possible - only making a challenge if an opportunity to do so arises, or better still holding the opposition up until another player can double up and take the ball. 
3. He really isn't an upgrade on Vlaar or Okore, a downgrade if anything. At 27, how is he going to make up for one of his biggest problems - his lack of experience in that position? You can't just pull it out of your arse. 

The thing that is most frustrating is that throughout this time, we've had to suffer Bacuna at RB, when we've got a guy who's a top 6 RB playing at being something he's not. 

You go on about disagreeing with my comments the most yet partially agree and say something similar?! See the bold above? 

1. A last ditch tackle is exactly what it says it is. Making the challenge/tackle at the very last moment in order to stop the opponent from scoring or positioning themselves to. If not what else is it then? You've highlighted it yet said nothing to enlighten us as to your definition of a 'last ditch tackle'. 

2. Secondly I didn't mention defenders not making challenges in their own half?! The final third was mentioned in relation to the opponents final third if that is what you was getting at, but if you had read on you may have worked that out. Also if a defender or any player for that instance is the last line of defence at some point if not covered or backed by a team mate there will be a moment more often than not where the attacker will force the defender into committing it's called action and reaction and is inevitable.

3. You mention Richards lack of experience as if he is some sort of one trick pony. Like your the all seeing eye that can see into the future and tell us Micah Richards cannot get better at 27+? You talk nonsense! Like Vlaar was captain fantastic. A good defender yes but definitely had more than a rick or two in him and cost us goals with his rashness at times- definitely not the level of previous CB's. Or Okore bless him, who I do think is a good CB and will get better but lets get this straight. The majority of Richards experience is at RB yet his overall experience in a winning environment with better players at a higher level is far greater than Vlaar or Okore. And on top of that he has done nothing really poor for people to question his position or place in the team.

Players as they get older will transition into different positions as they grow, gain strength, slow, mature, or just because their skill set increases or decreases. To say a player needs to pull positional experience out of his arse or if they are being asked to play in a different position to previous they are automatically not good enough shows your own level of experience regarding football needs game time never mind Richards.  

Edited by avfc1982am

Ran past Berahino yesterday, chasing after the ball when another player had already gone after it. Berahino was then left unmarked to deflect the ball past a helpless Guzan. 

Richards is not a centre back. I'm not saying he can't become one, I'm saying we just don't have the team to afford him time to become one. 

He is one of the main concerns in the team, for me. 

Ran past Berahino yesterday, chasing after the ball when another player had already gone after it. Berahino was then left unmarked to deflect the ball past a helpless Guzan. 

Richards is not a centre back. I'm not saying he can't become one, I'm saying we just don't have the team to afford him time to become one. 

He is one of the main concerns in the team, for me. 

:clap:

oh your serious :mellow:

• Like 1

Â