The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

If Labour had a policy, there was certainly no compulsion on their MPs to campaign for that policy

Yeah that's my recollection - similar to the baby eaters - the "official" position was "remain" but individuals were free to favour whichever side they wanted.

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Although one would imagine that if there were any sort of policy it would be probably be seen as bad form for the leader of the party to not be (at least officially) behind it.

Zackly. Corbyn did say, fairly tepidly, that he was campaigning to remain in the EU, but I think most people could see his longstanding antipathy to being a member of the  EU meant that his heart wasn't in it.

Still, water under the bridge. British water. British bridge, not any of your fancy foreign water, all fizzy and clean, either - no, proper British turd filled water and a crumbling rusty bridge.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

but I think most people could see his longstanding antipathy to being a member of the  EU meant that his heart wasn't in it.

It wasn't just that his heart wasn't in it, it was the places in the back of beyond that he chose to campaign. Campaign in this instance is amble about a run down ghost town centre chatting to people and the famous stupid response to Andrew Marr

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

It wasn't just that his heart wasn't in it, it was the places in the back of beyond that he chose to campaign. Campaign in this instance is amble about a run down ghost town centre chatting to people and the famous stupid response to Andrew Marr

To be fair, it's probably the right answer to that question in a grown-up discussion of the subject. Just not in the context of that campaign of bullshit.

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

To be fair, it's probably the right answer to that question in a grown-up discussion of the subject. Just not in the context of that campaign of bullshit.

As I remember the question at the time, it was so easy to actually avoid giving an answer that I could have done it but he chose not to do that

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't think labour voters wont vote labour because corbyn wont bw representing them. Most will still vote labour as they absolute detest the tories

Tbh I’ve only ever voted “not Tory”. Until we get proper PR I doubt I’ll ever vote for what I actually want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't think labour voters wont vote labour because corbyn wont bw representing them. Most will still vote labour as they absolute detest the tories

Oh never underestimate the ability of the most left leaning 5-10% of the population to cut their own noses off to spite their face. Principals have always been more important that realpolitik to them. Entrenched ideas run rampant.

51 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I just mean were f***ed what ever way we go to be honest, I'm no Tory fan.

Will he do better than the Tories, I guess dried poo don't smell as much, still poo though.

He absolutely will.  Gotta take any improvement you can get at the moment.

• Like 1

Starmer is a tory, those 5 missions all but confirm it. Also might explain the rise in popularity. Time to accept that the majority of the country are aligned to more traditional tory principles than labour ones. If you want to be in power, be somewhere towards the middle.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

He's very difficult to understand - speaks like a middle manager - yet the tories are just so bad

Â