The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

They are dragging the middle further and further to the right.

Baby eating will soon be seen as middle ground.

But hey, look, there was a good social policy in the last labour manifesto where they were pro the 4 day week. An extensive study has just shown it can have more positives than negatives so there’s a genuinely progressive policy that would put space between baby eating and LabourLite that even Starmer surely wouldn’t reverse on.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Starmer is a tory, those 5 missions all but confirm it. Also might explain the rise in popularity. Time to accept that the majority of the country are aligned to more traditional tory principles than labour ones. If you want to be in power, be somewhere towards the middle.

I think the years under Corbyn has shown that the alternative he came with, albeit popular with young people and people who couldn't count, was badly costed, likely not possible to do and would not gain the votes needed. To enact change you actually need to be in power, something JC's quite frank blind spots made him useless for. (STW, Iran, give your country away for peace!, all my mates are Putin-shills, the West is at fault for everything, was that my shadow or a capitalist lurking behind the curtain!? +++).

Edited by magnkarl

Starmer caveated his 10 pledges to the membership, upon which he won the leadership, with a statement saying none of these pledges could be implemented if Labour did not win power. If I was a tory looking to vote Labour I'd be very careful - because the implication of this is that he still intends to go quite far to the left, after power has been won. OR - he's actually a tory. The problem is absolutely nobody knows which one of these is true. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Starmer caveated his 10 pledges to the membership, upon which he won the leadership, with a statement saying none of these pledges could be implemented if Labour did not win power.

That isn't a caveat. It's stating the obvious. Clearly

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

They are dragging the middle further and further to the right.

Baby eating will soon be seen as middle ground.

I've heard that The Bishop of Bath and Wells is considering standing at the next election. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Seriously, if they can improve the NHS and just make it possible to see a doctor again, they'll have to really really **** up not to stay in power for a long time.

All through the 80s and early 90s it was always "remember the strikes" 

In future if anyone suggests the Tories it will be "remember the broken NHS and how it was impossible to see a doctor" 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Cash money to you if you can tell me starmers position 

Right of Corbyn, Left of Blair

You can donate it to VT

EDIT: I'll actually go further, the most left-wing PM Labour will have elected since the 1960s

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

Right of Corbyn, Left of Blair

You can donate it to VT

EDIT: I'll actually go further, the most left-wing PM Labour will have elected since the 1960s

Well we know he's right of Jezza, he hasn't been accused of antisemitism by Margaret Hodge yet. And left of Blair - how left?  

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

Starmer caveated his 10 pledges to the membership, upon which he won the leadership, with a statement saying none of these pledges could be implemented if Labour did not win power.

If fairness, he might have caveated it by letting us know he'd abandon all ten of them prior to testing whether he could win power - which is what he did.

He's not a Tory, he's especially not whatever madness the modern Tory party is - but he's very much to the right of the modern middle and modern middle is a fair bit right of where it was a while back - he's sort of where Blair and the Cameron/Clegg creature were - corporate enough to win an election, but hoping to ask for the odd concession, like, hopefully, a working health service.

• Like 1

Â