The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

I think it likely that history will see that the worst choice was made, by people that had been led down the garden path?

Unless you have a time machine, its impossible to answer that question, especially given the world events that have happened since

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Unless you have a time machine, its impossible to answer that question, especially given the world events that have happened since

Quite.

Let's watch.

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

I think it likely that history will see that the worst choice was made, by people that had been led down the garden path?

Possibly, but we'll never know. All the world events would still have happened. Who knows whether the markets would have reacted to Corbyn like they did to Truss? He'd not have had the Parties in the pandemic, I think we can safely say. God knows what would be the situation around Brexit. I'm guessing it would have happened, still and probably some sort of less disastrous version. Ukraine we'd have done much worse...it's all unknowable, really. I liked a fair chunk of the Labour manifesto, but equally the other half of it was a bit mental - just way too widespread and unfocused. If Labour had won, would they have torn themselves apart like the tories are? Well they were certainly doing that beforehand, so probably?

Like I say, two awful choices. Probably Labour less bad, but I can see why many felt the other way, given the way the population mostly consumes political and election type stuff. "Get Brexit done" was bollex, obviously, but it worked and Labour had nothing to counter it.

I think it gets uglier now Pete, we're too far down the garden path even if Xi decides to sit down for now?

We're turning too late, and there's too much psychopathic self interest at the top, worldwide.

So many idiots lap up and proliferate dogshit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xann said:

I think it gets uglier now Pete, we're too far down the garden path even if Xi decides to sit down for now?

We're turning too late, and there's too much psychopathic self interest at the top, worldwide.

So many idiots lap up and proliferate dogshit.

There's a hope that it's turning back aways, maybe? Brazil hoofed out their nutter, Labour looks like it's where it would want to be in the polls here, certainly way higher than for a long time, Biden (I know) beat Trump and then did pretty well mid terms. Maybe the world's starting to realise that right wing nutters, polluters, war mongers and crooks are not quite what they set themselves up to be?

IMHO it's not turning fast enough against a background of a poisoned planet, wonky weather, expanding populations that let arseholes lead them, and money being god.

I'd hoped for something better than having crossed fingers for a stalemate with the rising East. At least for a decade or three, so I don't see swarming AI horrors that might feasibly be unleashed on soldiers and civilians alike in years to come?

Just getting to watch the flora and fauna dying off is going to be unpleasant enough.

Any recovery comes after you and I are gone, Pete. Unless a radical and unforeseen correction occurs?

Edited by Xann
Grammar Grandma

1 hour ago, Xann said:

IMHO it's not turning fast enough against a background of a poisoned planet, wonky weather, expanding populations that let arseholes lead them, and money being god.

I'd hoped for something better than having crossed fingers for a stalemate with the rising East. At least for a decade or three, so I don't see swarming AI horrors that might feasibly be unleashed on soldiers and civilians alike in years to come?

Just getting to watch the flora and fauna dying off is going to be unpleasant enough.

Any recovery comes after you and I are gone, Pete. Unless a radical and unforeseen correction occurs?

Yeah, I know 😪. We're doomed. Before getting back to the Labour Party, it's really noticeable how depleted UK nature is compared to that there abroadia. But everywhere is suffering the same dying off of flora and fauna, due to man. There's a hope though, that kind of like there's been a sudden (in relative terms) UK, or England swing right away from the Tories to Labour, that maybe a similar "conversion" will happen for the world in terms of just a different approach. The whole notion that seems embedded is for "growth" and economic growth being an irrefutable good. "everyone wants "growth". No they don't. I don't. It comes at the expense of destroying the place.

I don't know the details of Labour's Green Deal type plans, but if they get in I really hope they go big on changing the way the UK works to be much more based on environmental considerations being a key part of the future, not just "how much money can Company X make from exploiting and poisoning the planet/ the Rivers/ The air/ etc.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

shows both parties have their own scumbags in them

He wasn't in the Labour Party at the time, they'd suspended him nearly 2 years prior to the investigation. He is a bad word removed for sure but his corruption (the reason he'sbeen jailed) has nothing to do with Labour. It hasn't stopped the media announcing him as "former Labour MP" even though he was only a Labour MP for little over 4 months and an Independent MP for much longer. Labour did offer to have him back at one point but it didn't happen (I forget why) but it's also important to remember, O'Mara was a Corbyn supporter and this was very much at the time Corbyn was most definitely in charge with his people in place in the Labour Party

• Like 2

I'd never heard of this guy. Never once made a speech in his 2 years as an MP which he attributes to his autism and wouldn't attend PMQ's because of his anxiety. Did he know what job he was standing for? **** hell.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

To be honest, I didn’t even realise the bye-election was on and I only live a couple miles from the border

Well, to be honest, I found out it was on a whole day before and I only live half a mile from the border, as the crow flies, or about 40 minutes by road. Apparently local transport was a big issue. Who’d a thunk it.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Well, to be honest, I found out it was on a whole day before and I only live half a mile from the border, as the crow flies, or about 40 minutes by road. Apparently local transport was a big issue. Who’d a thunk it.

That crow avoids flying in a straight line because there's inbreeding in the air in Banks. The best thing they could do would be to build a bridge right through the strange strange strange denizens of Banks. I'm convinced they think Queen Victoria is still on the throne.

It's a very strange demographic in West Lancs. Ormskirk is a typical Tory voting rural town, except its now full of students at Edge Hill and Scousers who've relocated. The rest of rural West Lancs is typical rural stuff, then you've got the 70s Scouse overfill of Skem. It's a rural Tory seat that is absolutely full of Labour voters.

But yes Local transport. Don't get me started on the Burscough Curves and the fact that Burscough needs two stations for two railway lines that no longer intersect even though one goes over the other

• Like 1

It's official, antisemitism in Labour has now been sorted, Margaret Hodge says so. Who will vote for Labour given that the millions of antisemites who voted for master racist Jezza in two elections, are now more politically at home with Farage's new venture?

Â