Bakary Sako

Isa

Yeah I agree with that. I think the report is fairly accurate as he signed for Wolves a few weeks after they'd been relegated from the prem and a lot of their squad were on good contracts like O'Hara, Doyle and Roger Johnson so him on 20k is feasible and hence he wants more on a bosman.

We've worked hard reducing the wage bill in recent times and shedding mediocre squad players on 40/50k so I'd prefer we don't go down that route again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sako on a free vs Townsend at £12m. I think I'd go for Sako and use the £12m elsewhere. 

Who would you choose?

Townsend hands down, Sako will want probably the same salary and has not been a standout in the Championship

• Like 1

Sako on a free vs Townsend at £12m. I think I'd go for Sako and use the £12m elsewhere. 

Who would you choose?

Townsend hands down, Sako will want probably the same salary and has not been a standout in the Championship

Hmm.. Sako played 39 games, scored 15 and assisted 7. 

Townsend played 17, scored 2 and assisted 2. 

I think we could get Sako on a lower salary than Townsend especially if some of the Townsend thread is to be believed. Some mentions of £60k, £70k and £80k p/w for him. 

I just feel £12m could be spent on an area where we are weaker such as centre forward, full back and central midfield. I wouldn't be against signing Townsend having said that just think we could be smarter. 

Who would you choose?

Townsend. I'm not convinced by Sako. Just based on everytime I saw him he didn't turn up. 

Edited by PaulC

Sako's apparently looking for £80k a week! I wouldn't pay half that for him. OK. he's on a free and yes he's capped at international level but he is untested in the Prem' and with those wages it'll be a hell of a gamble, especially if he flops.

Townsend is the safer bet IMO, he's younger to, with a better resale value.

Edited by Supervillan78
  • Like 1

If Sako wants £80k p/w then it's a definite no go. I'd go to £40k - £50k p/w level for him though. Problem for me with Townsend is he will warrant high wages too and what if Levy wants say £18m for him? That would also become a gamble. 

its not what we would pay, its what the heads at the club are willing to pay, however its fair to say, even the numpties at villa park wouldnt splash out £80k a week on a player not proven and coming very close to his peak.

• 1 month later...

Gone to Palace. 

Crystal Palace have signed Mali international attacker Bakary Sako on a free transfer.

The former Wolverhampton Wanderers man has penned a three year deal at Selhurst Park having left the Molineux side in the summer following the expiration of his contract, having scored 36 goals in 118 appearances in the Midlands.

On his new move, Sako said: "I talked to some clubs but when I met Alan [Pardew] I felt a good feeling between him and me and that's why I chose Palace. 

"He plays attacking, attractive football so it should be good to play here and score some goals, that's why I came to join him.

"I've been doing my own pre-season training because Wolves gave me a programme before I left, and my cousin has a small academy so we trained together to keep my fitness levels up.

"I think I'm fit now but it's in the manager's hands to pick me so we'll see how my fitness is."

I want to play lots of games, score some goals and get some assists and enjoy myself. I'm confident about stepping up to the premier League so we'll see how it goes."

Born in France, the 27-year-old got his break in the professional game with Chateauroux in Ligue 2 in 2006 before earning a move to Saint-Etienne three years later, where he would become a regular in their side until Wolves snapped him up for £4 million in August 2012.

He would play a crucial role in the club's promotion from League One by finishing as joint top scorer and was named in the Team of the Year. His success continued in the Championship, once again finishing as Wolves' top scorer with 16 goals and named in the division's seasonal line-up before his contract expired.

Having represented both Mali and France at youth level, he opted to play for the former at full level and has 14 caps for the side also known as the Eagles, scoring six goals, and represented them in the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/crystal-palace-have-signed-mali-international-attacker-bakary-sako-on-a-free-transfer.-2595244.aspx

Edited by Villaphan04