Bakary Sako

Isa

Ok, so we've been touted as one of the clubs looking to sign him on a bosman this summer in quite a few outlets over the last week. Now The Mirror (along with The Daily Star) have gone further and claim we have effectively won the race:

Aston Villa set to complete free signing of Wolves star Bakary Sako at end of season

20 April 2015 10:30 PM John Cross

Wolves striker Bakary Sako is set to join Aston Villa on a free transfer this summer.

Sako has been offered a move across the Midlands and he will choose Villa ahead of West Brom who are also in the hunt.

Mali international Sako has spearheaded Wolves’ push for promotion from the Championship and his form and performances have brought admiring glances.

Villa boss Tim Sherwood is keen to strengthen their strike force and will pounce as soon as the transfer window opens this summer.

Wolves have tried to tie Sako down to a new contract but they appear to be losing him - and to a Midlands rival.

Sherwood, who has guided Villa to the FA Cup final, will look to shake up his squad this summer.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-set-complete-free-5556087

He's okay. Seen a fair bit of him due to being from Wolverhampton and a lot of my mates being supporters. Think they've done well to hold on to him when they went down to League 1 but honestly I don't know if he would bring 'much' 

Good move I think.

His stats look good in the Championship (although I know that can be misleading), and probably deserves a chance.

And on a free, even is he doesn't make the grade he will have a resale value. With FFP, most clubs now need to look at player trading as a way of boosting their funds - even Chelsea do it, which is why they have so many players out on loan.

How can he be "set to join" or "been offered a move" if the club is not allowed to discuss terms with him yet? Or did I miss something?

If his contract runs out in the summer then I think he's free to talk to other clubs within 6 months of that happening.

If this ends up happening and we manage to keep Delph I cannot wait to see how he performs with the likes of Delph, N-Zogbia and Grealish providing him with chances. He may be scoring goals in a lesser league, but not really knowing Wolves these days he could be doing that with pretty average support. These days Villa have two of the best creative midfielders in the league, this guy could be knocking them in for fun.  

How can he be "set to join" or "been offered a move" if the club is not allowed to discuss terms with him yet? Or did I miss something?

If his contract runs out in the summer then I think he's free to talk to other clubs within 6 months of that happening.

Clubs from abroad trying to sign players from England and English clubs trying to sign players from abroad, can do so from January if their contract expires at the end of the season (usually around six months).

Clubs within England trying to sign a player from another club within England can do so up to six weeks before the player's contract expires. Sako's contract apparently expires on the last day of June, so we wouldn't be able to officially announce any deal until mid-May. However, I do believe agents start talks before hand of course, to try and get the best deal for themselves and their client.

Does look very similar to N'Zogbia in the way he runs.

Big difference though is that he looks like he has a hammer of a shot to go with it. Charlie always struggled with end product for me and never been particularly prolific.

One thing we should also be aware of is that he turns 27 in a few days time. This guy isn't a kid or a young lad (in footballing terms), he's at his peak right now. Be interesting to see if he can do the business in the Premier League.

Edited by samjp26

Is he an out and out striker?

I imagine he's a better option to have than weimman.

Haven't seen him this season but as i remember from St Étienne he's more of a wide forward/winger suited to a front 3