Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I can see the potential for improvement. I don't think we have too much yet.

Short memories. Do you not remember how bad we were?
We still have been bad?
Bad with promising signs. Last season was bad no hope bad.

I agree. Hence why i said i can see the improvement potential. We just worded it different.

We still have the No10 shirt open which we could fill with a loan so I dont think transfer funds will be the issue. Providing we have the wages available it will all come down to how the facial goes.

That said, I dont think our striker problem is as bad as it appears. Gabby has been a waste of space so if he was left out we would either be looking at 3 creative AM's (from Gil, Jack, Traore, Sinclair) behind either Rudy, Ayew or Kozak. Or, 2 AM's & 2 up front out of Rudy, Ayew, Kozak and Sinclair.

Gabby has either been non-existent or has wasted the ball when hes had it so its almost like playing with ten men and having to sacrifice an attacking option to do so. This has reflected badly on our strikers as a whole due to the lack of goals. Gil returning will be a big plus in the supply chain and our strikers will come good when none of them are having to 'carry' Gabby.

Still expect one in on loan to fill that shirt though along with a CB (probably Lescott). My main concern once CB is filled is Guzan, he has too many weaknesses for a PL goalkeeper.

Desperately need a striker , preferably proven at Prem League level.At they very least need someone with decent movement , no point having Grealish and Gill in the team if you have strikers that stand around like statues all game.

Ideally another RB would be nice but could be Crespo will play there , either way Bacuna is a liability  

Did I actually just see our two striker signings written off and called shit after just 3 games. 1 of which 1 of them scored our winner. Good heavens

Yep. Though the acknowledgement that it was 3 games and too early to call was there too. Don't let that get in your way tho.

Seriously what are we supposed to do? Not form an opinion?

At what point can we start having an opinion. 5? 10? 15 games?

So far they don't look very good. Simple as that.

Are you incapable of having a positive opinion on anything?
No
Woodytom is clearly one of Villatalk's realists and thank God for that - without him we might all just get carted away to the funny farm! What about the current Villa makes you giddy and carefree, then Woody? Will you show us your inner innocent fool, gambolling around like a new born lamb in spring?

I actually talk villa up like there is no tomorrow to non villa fans. Mostly tongue in cheek but of course, I sing their praises like any other football fan.

Don't feel I need to do that here. Certainly not recently anyway. Wind the clock back 5/6 years and Richard was quite renowned for being negative - well I say renowned - probably misunderstood. I remember many a time in the match threads where he would predict a defeat and people would reply sarcastically 'there's a surprise'. Risso too was quite negative to the whole MON regime and I'm sure there were many others.

I was what you would call positive I suppose at that time on here. Well in favour of what was happening etc, and very patient with the whole '5 year plan bullshit'.

I've had a number of bets with friends that we will be a surprise package this year and finish top 10. That's my possible fool coming out.

Nevertheless, I think anybody would find it very difficult to really sit down and find true positives from the last few years. It's been dreadful and tbh, given our start and not looking like we can score and given the players we have lost, it doesn't look like changing. Especially when you consider the upturn of a number of clubs that we would once consider below us.

I've spent years banging on about youth players and how we're going to conquer Europe to my dad and Bro. Truly believing it. Deluded from the drivel I've read on here that bigs up our players to a ridiculous level. I still do.

But when it's between villa fans, I see no reason I'm hiding from the truth and the truth atm is, we are shite. Believe me, I'm not upset by that or down. I don't want it of course but I say it with the satisfying knowledge that at the end of the day, it's just football.

Surely being deluded is to some greater or lesser extent precisely what being a football fan is about?

Once upon a time in a far off galaxy Manchester Utd fans travelled to the theatre of Dreams, to watch the stars dazzle, now all they have to look forward to is the uncomfortable weird feeling of actually losing matches. And at the other end of the spectrum, 40,000 Sunderland fans are drawn to the 'Stadium of Light' every other week, presumably blinded to the truth of what is going on with their one true love.

What else can you do but be deluded? On which premise, I predict Traore to fire us to Champions League glory after Gestede realises he has a pair of feet as well as a head.

:-)   

• Like 2

Id say he has a fair bit of wage bill left. Unlike in previous years I don't think this will be the stumbling block. Still think Adebayor will be here come next week. Another high profile loan wouldn't surprise me. Still dont think we'll be spending anywhere near £10m+ this week though. I know I'm being pessimistic. Love to be proved wrong on this one.

Think we should go for Pato, worth a try.

If we buy Pato I will kill myself with happiness.

Loved him since he joined Milan, where Milanlabs destroyed his hamstrings.

He's not been great in Brazil, but I'd still love him.

Not sure if this has been posted but here it is anyway.  There is more to the article but you have to subscribe.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/article1597163.ece

Villa and Newcastle go head to head for Abdennour

Aston Villa and Newcastle United have both offered personal terms to Tunisia international Aymen Abdennour, writes Duncan Castles. Villa have stated their intention to meet Monaco’s £18m asking price for the central defender, while Newcastle hope to negotiate the Ligue 1 club down. Abdennour, 26, had been hopeful of securing a switch to Barcelona, but, after several meetings, the European champions withdrew from the proposed deal. He has also attracted interest from AC Milan, but is understood to be ready to join one of the Premier League sides should he fail to secure a deal with a Champions League-level club.

Not sure if this has been posted but here it is anyway.  There is more to the article but you have to subscribe.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/article1597163.ece

Villa and Newcastle go head to head for Abdennour

Aston Villa and Newcastle United have both offered personal terms to Tunisia international Aymen Abdennour, writes Duncan Castles. Villa have stated their intention to meet Monaco’s £18m asking price for the central defender, while Newcastle hope to negotiate the Ligue 1 club down. Abdennour, 26, had been hopeful of securing a switch to Barcelona, but, after several meetings, the European champions withdrew from the proposed deal. He has also attracted interest from AC Milan, but is understood to be ready to join one of the Premier League sides should he fail to secure a deal with a Champions League-level club.

Why not make it an even £20m and they take N'Zogbia?

• Like 1

Its in the Times which makes you wonder but surely given the fees involved this is never going to happen. Especially when a striker for me is the bigger priority (would like to see both of course!) but I'd rather spend more of the money up top.

Writing players off after 3 games is simply moronic.

The new strikers aren't wasting a hat full of guilt edged chances.

Calm down the negativity until at least October eh?

Just had to check when you joined up, as I assumed you were new to VT. Don't you know that's how it is around here? Two game in a row of not getting hattricks, and you're a failure. Them's the rules.

• Like 1

Earlier in the summer we had a huge week.  This ,  for me,  is another hugely important week in the future of this club

As you are aware I was right behind you on that but am not going to get excited about your post this time around as I believe you are saying it for a different reason. This reason being that we NEED to sign a couple of decent, proven prem players but may not get it done!

Right? Wrong? Talk to me...