Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Have we any money left? What about wage budget?

Wages wise I doubt Gestede, Veretout, Gueye, Crespo, Bunn, Amavi, Ayew and Richards's wages add up to anywhere near the same as Bent, Given, Cleverley, Delph, Benteke, Vlaar, Weimann, Helenius, Sylla, Herd, Stevens, Luna and Lowton's. My guess is there's plenty of wage budget to play with.

• Like 1

So if he'd have pocketed the money he'd have been ripped to pieces on here so credit is due for letting Tim spend and not keeping it all for himself!

I am sorry but I can't agree with this. The owner does not deserve an ounce of credit for reinvesting into the club what we have brought in through selling players. He is the owner of a club that finished 17th last season surviving by the skin of its teeth. The very least you'd therefore expect is him to reinvest what we bring in. That team that finished 17th needed big investment to ensure that we were not in the shit again so I expected a net spend of at least 20 mill and so far we are no where near that.

I am also extremely confident that given some our biggest earners in Bent, Delph, Benteke, Given, Vlaar have all left over the summer that our wage bill will have in fact reduced quite substantially despite us having so far brought in nine players.

I could write an essay as to why Lerner deserves zero credit for how he has turned this great club into relegation fodder for the last five years but that is for another thread. Him simply allowing the manger to invest what he has brought into the club through sales does even start to put things right and certainly doesn't warrant praise. He is now simply doing the very least you'd expect.

I hope we may have found a few gems and re-invested the money we have brought in well. The praise for that though should go to Sherwood, Reilly and whover else identified these players and convinced them to come.

Excellent post.

Whilst I'm interested in how this will all pan out and am surprised at both the sheer number of signings and the values attributed to them, I have absolutely no 'credit' to give to Lerner. As it stands we haven't spent more than we've earnt, we've probably reduced the wage bill and there is a bit of a (perhaps needed) risk in the strategy.

Suggesting Lerner deserves credit for not keeping all the profits shows how beaten down we've become. If he invests £10m to £20m improving the team then that's a more credible argument, and it may happen yet, but at the moment some are effectively thanking him for doing what ge should do and not punching us in the gut.

I am not in anyway precious about "net spend" just as long as we've spent enough.

But I totally agree, I give no credit to lerner for anything. The only credit he could possibly have is for finally **** off and giving people who know what theyre doing the stage to do what's needed.

Lerner knows he couldn't strip us of the fees for benteke, as that's the minimum needed to keep his investment alive. He's not totally stupid, just a little inept.

A profitable villa can start to repay his loans, but we can't do that from the championship

• Like 1

I hope we may have found a few gems and re-invested the money we have brought in well. The praise for that though should go to Sherwood, Reilly and whover else identified these players and convinced them to come.

Sorry to only quote this part, but I think the bolded bit is more important than your post makes out.

Who did we gain last year? Richardson, Cole, Senderos, Cissokho with Gil in the summer. Cleverly and Sinclair came as loans - the former only because his preferred destination (Everton) couldn't stump up the money. Despite our interest, he didn't want to be here and was gone as soon as the season ended.

Compare that with Richards, Ayew, Gestede, Amavi, Gueye, Veretout (to name a few) the latter of which Nantes allowed to come here despite losing out on money because he wanted to come.

And therein lies the point. Under the former regime (Lambert, Keane, Faulkner/nobody) I don't think anyone of any calibre wanted to come to Villa. There seems to be a monumental change in that regard under the new regime of Sherwood, Fox, Wilkins. Kudos to them.

Lerner? He just sets a budget. That budget scopes the boundaries of our possible targets (no Messi this year, then!) and only has a "attractiveness" of its own on greedy players.

Certainly player sales have helped with those boundaries this year - but we signed the likes of Richards, Gueye and Amavi before we sold Benteke and Delph.

So it would seem you are right and Lerner gets no praise for this ....

... but then you need to use the same measure when it comes to blame for what happened last year (or the last 5 years). After all, the same owner appointed both the current and past regime.

• Like 1

I'd say we need to wait until we have our first choice defence fully fit and firing before we declare the situation desperate.

I'd love a "top class", experienced centre half, but I don't see the point in signing another with potential.

• Like 2

Richards will play there. So will Clark. And Okore. And Crespo. And Baker. And Senderos. Wouldn't say we badly need one.

Right back on the other hand: Hutfon. That's it.

Well Crespo started at RB today until he got injured and Richards can play there to, in fact I rather he played there as he's suspect at CB IMO.

Richards will play there. So will Clark. And Okore. And Crespo. And Baker. And Senderos. Wouldn't say we badly need one.

Richards is a better right back than centre half IMO. I forgot about crespo.

We certainly have quantity, I feel it's the quality that has the VT crew worried!

• Like 2

We need to hurl cash at a good CB. If the rumours of us talking to Manchester United about a player are true, I sincerely hope we aren't looking to them to sort our CB holes.

Their centre backs would walk into our team at the moment. Not that Baker would notice ZZZZZZZZZZZ ;)

Edited by Supervillan78