Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Come the close of the window we will look at the squad including the inevitable signings and I am sure we will have hope and will feel better.

Lerner has no choice but spend and the wage bill is down, but most of all with Fox, Sherwood and this new German fella, I am sure they will sort this out.

I reckon £70m could be spent

l

No offence pal but have you been at the ecstasy ?

No chance in that happening IMO.

Come the close of the window we will look at the squad including the inevitable signings and I am sure we will have hope and will feel better.

Lerner has no choice but spend and the wage bill is down, but most of all with Fox, Sherwood and this new German fella, I am sure they will sort this out.

I reckon £70m could be spent

Not sure we will spend anywhere 70m myself but i would bloody love it if we did lol I have faith in the new setup to get it right this time though, and not just a bungling paul faulkner running around spouting nonsense like a headless chicken !!

We've spent the Delph money already. Some Benteke money went to genk plus randy usual 6 million. We have around 33 million to spend. 23million after amavi

Edited by KSV

Unfortunately I can see only about 30m being re-invested at the moment, That would be for a new striker & midfielder on top of Amavi. Should there be doom & gloom after the first couple of games, then more money may be made available. Will be tough for Tim to shape this team so quickly, patience & total support will be required from everybody.

We have been crap for years so I am rather upbeat about butchering the squad.

Welcome to the new age .

Feel exactly the same as this. It's not like when we were in sixth place and sold off Milner, Barry, Young, and Downing etc. We've been circling the drain for the last 3/4 seasons - a purge of our whole team from top to bottom may be exactly what we need. Delph was a key member/captain of the side that was routinely hammered under Lambert and a few times under Sherwood too. Whilst individually he's a great player he's clearly not all that.

Reilly seems to have pedigree for bringing in talent and Sherwood looks like he can motivate them. We're being linked with some of the top players in Europe - there's clearly a plan in place to rebuild the squad. Looking forward to seeing our squad on 1st September - I reckon it will be as good as last year's at least.

• Like 2

We've spent the Delph money already. Some Benteke money went to genk plus randy usual 6 million. We have around 33 million to spend. 23million after amavi

But surely we should have some money from the "get-go" of this summer? We can't rely solely on the money we earned from selling players, not now considering where we are and our squad. Also not taking into account of all the players that have left and the wages they had with them. There should be a lot more and I get the feeling we won't see a single dime of that. At most, 25-30m left for this window.

Cambiasso looking like won't sign deal at Leicester , worth taking as a short term fix to add experience to the midfield ?

Prefer the thought of Darder and Praet coming in.

Amavi at LB. Newcastle are looking at Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba (plays at centre back) for £20m or so, maybe we should get on that as both are quality young players. Then maybe get a more experienced striker on loan as well.

Our squad needs serious investment in this window.

Edited by jacketspuds

I said this when we first 'sold' Delph a week ago, but it is not unreasonable to EXPECT Villa to spend £70m this summer considering the sales.

Benteke + Delph + Weimann + Lowton + Sylla = c. £45m

+ wages of Bent, Vlaar and Given in particular = £8m (worked out as £50k each x 52 weeks)

+ moderate investment considering poor performance of team and new manager well within FFP = £20m

It's only a sign of how beaten down as a fan base, how shoe-string a budget we run year on year, how unambitious our Chairman is that we think this is unrealistic. 

We all expect now that we will make a profit on sales over spending and reduce the wages yet again. Obviously expenditure on signings and wages is invariably (but not guaranteed) to link to quality. So a team that is so obviously dire, will reduce the quality of the squad once more and simply hope to survive again.

And we as a fan base, and I'm equally as guilty, will just shrug our shoulders and accept how pathetic we have become when we invest so little. Depressing.

I'm really not feeling too downbeat about the Benteke and Delph sales. 

Lerner generally gives us 15-20m in the summer. We've got £40m in the bank for the Benteke and Delph. With £50-60m we can go and get 5 quality players with that if we're smart with it. 

I don't believe Randy will take this money out of the club, the wage bill is under control and we're probably looking quite healthy financially right now. 

This could be a bit of a turning point for us, and could see us push up the table a bit. I'm quite excited about who we bring in. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

We've been the turd that won't flush for several years now. It might be time to just sit back and watch the whole thing (slightly more painful than the last 5 seasons) unfold

• Like 1

Who's gunna play RM? If Bacuna plays there and Hutton goes RB, will we get another RB? Sherwood clearly wants to play Gil centrally and he's not really a winger. Bacuna provided some decent assists and seems much more suited committing forward, where he can be more of an outlet.