Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

My concern is the lack of experience or a potential lack of experience in the side.

We can't end up with a team full of young players and new imports to the PL.

We have lost a lot of experience from the team and squad so while names from abroad might be more exciting and represent better value I think we need a few more known quantities.

I agree Trent, but who would you suggest to come in??

we could end up with another 'young and hungry' experiment going on... whilst I wouldn't call the first attempt of this philosophy a complete failure, it certainly highlighted the need for experience amongst the ranks.

Fair question and honest answer is I don't know, I need to give that some thought I will try and come back on that later in more detail.

A few weeks ago I'd have been equally against Adebayor as others are now, I agree with most of the points raised against signing him it is hard not to do so.

But if, and its a big if given its Levy, but if we could strike the right deal for him I think it could be a shrewd short term addition if made alongside that of a more ambitious/risky up and coming from overseas striker.

It is short term but I'm afraid there is going to have to be a bit of short term thinking this summer with Lerner still here.

We needed £40m spending this summer before the departure of Delph and Benteke let alone after, I just can't see Sherwood getting the money to rebuild properly.

I would also be very eager to get Cambiasso in as well.

• Like 2

People put way too much emphasis on Premier League experience if you ask me.

just experience for me, a couple of experienced heads can help but they dont need to be proven PL players. At moment in squad we have Guzan, Bunn, Senderos, Richards, Hutton, Westwood, Gabby, Joe Cole, Sanchez and a few others that are experienced enough

Football is entertainment. The last few years I've been thoroughly bored with this stagnant club. Same old shit year after year with this so-called important spine of vlaar, delph and benteke.

So rip the foundations out. **** the spine. Fill the team with new players. It's entertaining.

• Like 2

Didn't affect Southamptons buys last season. If you buy quality it will be ok

No it didn't but they replaced key players with players of equal quality, I think we might struggle to do that.

I also don't think what we have left is anywhere near as good as what they had left.

Surprised people haven't been calling for us to sign Mousa Dembélé. Similar to Delph, knows Sherwood and has Premier experience at his best he's probably better than Delph.

• Like 1

People put way too much emphasis on Premier League experience if you ask me.

I agree.

The young and hungry project Lambert tried failed because the calibre of player he was bringing in was sub standard. If we actually bring in decent youth players who wont be a 50/50 gamble we will be fine and we will have an exciting season.

Some people in this thread need to grow a pair, Benteke was always going and Delph has never actually been that great for us, he's barely influenced games. We have an opportunity now to bring in 4-6 real quality players, something we've not been able to do for a long time.

This excites me.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

We signed loads of premier league experience last summer but if they're old, crocked, never been that good or all three of them then it's not going to lift you up the league.

Again someone like Huddlestone would cost far too much and in reality isn't that good.'

We signed loads of premier league experience last summer but if they're old, crocked, never been that good or all three of them then it's not going to lift you up the league.

Again someone like Huddlestone would cost far too much and in reality isn't that good.'

And I agree with you, that is the problem.

You pay over the odds and we would struggle to get PL players in their prime unless they are on their way up rather than at the top of their game.

Perhaps Sherwood is right to go another way, we shall see I guess. But having 5-6 overseas players signed this summer and in the side would leave me feeling pretty nervous.

• Like 2

Didn't affect Southamptons buys last season. If you buy quality it will be ok

No it didn't but they replaced key players with players of equal quality, I think we might struggle to do that.

I also don't think what we have left is anywhere near as good as what they had left.

They had nothing left upfront with J-Rod injured for the whole season and Lambert and Lallana both leaving, they had to get a whole front three of Pelle, Tadic and Mane. Two of those came from the Dutch league and Mane came from Salzburg.

Even this summer they've replaced Clyne with a Portugese RB and Schnderlien with Jordy Claise, again from the Dutch league.

I think Cambiasso be an important signing if any truth in it. He is calm on the ball, an organiser and also chips in with goals. He probably wont be able to perform every week but he can do an effective job for 25-30 games

thats nearly 25 games more than Delph in a season :)

Anyone else scared that we won't even be given the money we've recouped to bring in players?

Me, woke up with a sinking feeling about it. Nothing other than gut instinct, hope it's wrong.