Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

It's not just the signing itself, it's also what it says about Sherwood's transfer policy and even more worryingly our takeover prospects.

That he rates Tom Huddlestone and, erm, what does it say about the takeover rumours?

It would be yet more evidence in support of many peoples fear that Sherwood is going to shop mainly for English players. I'd say it would indicate that the takeover is either nowhere near to being complete, or we're about to be taken over by someone without much ambition.

Meh and no, it doesn't. The club has to continue as normal, they can't put their plans on hold.

It would be yet more evidence in support of many peoples fear that Sherwood is going to shop mainly for English players. I'd say it would indicate that the takeover is either nowhere near to being complete, or we're about to be taken over by someone without much ambition.

Given that the "evidence" so far consists of Sherwood saying he likes English players and dubious links in the papers (which are wrong far more often than they're right) I would suggest that people stop worrying about this at least until there's solid evidence.

It's not just the signing itself, it's also what it says about Sherwood's transfer policy and even more worryingly our takeover prospects.

That he rates Tom Huddlestone and, erm, what does it say about the takeover rumours?

Meh and no, it doesn't. The club has to continue as normal, they can't put their plans on hold.

Well, I hope your right on all counts.

Very concerned by Vardy and Huddlestone 'links', however it's likely that they're completely fabricated so will wait before I judge. I thought we had Reilly in charge of recruiting younger potential talent anyway, so can't see us spending the hilarious figure of £15m on a conference player.

I find it slightly amusing that people are concerned with being linked to Huddlestone and Vardy.  We just finished 17th after 3 prior seasons of battling relegation.  Really what do people expect?  Whoever we sign it cant be any worse than last transfer window.

Huddlestone is a better passer than Westwood and stronger.Not very mobile, and imo i would prefer Ki, but i wonder,that, if as speculated , he wants to play 3 at the back, that Huddlestone would be used as the sweeper.

I think £5M for a 28 year old like Huddlestone, who is a good passer, would not be a bad signing the more i think about it.

I find it slightly amusing that people are concerned with being linked to Huddlestone and Vardy.  We just finished 17th after 3 prior seasons of battling relegation.  Really what do people expect?  Whoever we sign it cant be any worse than last transfer window.

And Hull finished 18th.

• Like 1

The thing with Huddlestone, it will probably ONLY work if he is the sitting midfielder, and he has a Delph and a Cleverley esque "runner" next to him pressing high. For years we have not been able to keep the ball effectively well unless it was dull around the back... he could be that player that helps us keep it better in forward areas. He has a good ping on him, maybe a slight upgrade on Westwood, which is hard for me to say as I am a big fan of Westy!

Edited by BigCarew
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter what people expect if they think that only adding Huddlestone and Vardy to our squad will mean relegation this time round.

Reckons Sherwood is massive fan of Joe Gomez (Charlton Athletic - Right back) here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11674898/Liverpool-transfer-news-Brendan-Rodgers-to-bid-for-Charlton-and-England-U19-defender-Joe-Gomez.html

Brendan Rodgers is set to offer £3.5 million for Charlton Athletic teenager Joe Gomez as he prepares to offload Sebastián Coates to Sunderland.

Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, will step up his interest in Gomez with a bid this week and attempt to win the race for one of English football’s emerging young talents.
Arsenal and Aston Villa are also keen on Gomez, 18, who appears certain to leave Charlton this summer with the Championship club looking for a transfer fee of £7m after various add-ons.

Tim Sherwood, the Aston Villa manager, is also a huge admirer after first becoming aware of Gomez during his time in charge of Tottenham Hotspur’s academy. However, any bid is certain to be complicated by the prospect of an imminent takeover with one consortium being granted exclusivity.
Edited by Villan4Life

We need to improve on what we already have at the club to stay in the division next season

Half the team is currently not good enough as it is

I do not see us staying up next year by replacing Cleverley with Huddlestone and Benteke with Vardy

Both significant downgrades which will result in us going down

I'm not saying the above players will sign but if they do its curtains tbh

"However, any bid is certain to be complicated by the prospect of an imminent takeover with one consortium being granted exclusivity". 

We really need to act in the transfer market and not let the deal to sell the club if it happens get in the way of Tim's transfer plans but I guess we would not be the first choice for Gomez given the other clubs mentioned. 

Edited by John