Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

If we are to play this high defensive line it's not a bad guess that Tim will be looking to sign a CB (and LB?) with a bit of pace.

I'll browse through FIFA and Football Manager to see if I can come up with some names...

Edit:  Eder Alvarez Balanta from River Plate is usually my first buy in FM

Edited by sne

Guzan's way better than Adrian ffs.

To be fair you'd rather Gill here next season than Sherwood.

You need to get a hobby. 

You've posted here 4,426 times. I'd be amazed if all of those posts stood up to the test of time. 

EDIT: This sounds testy, so I want to explain myself because I don't want to be a dick, or cause trouble for the mods. But your posting of this is really unfair. First of all, you use the present tense, even though the post in question was written 6 weeks ago, after a home defeat to Swansea when it looked like we might not have enough to stay up. Plenty of people who 'liked' a post then might not feel the same way now, yet you go ahead and presume that. 

Furthermore, it has a totally chilling effect on any discussion on this forum. We weren't talking about Sherwood or Gil. Why don't you address the subject of the conversation rather than dredging up old stuff? It honestly feels as though you'd personally prefer it if everyone who liked that post were simply banned from the site. 

It's like he knows everybody who liked that post by heart. Such a pointless thing to bring up in this discussion.

• Like 2

New keeper,left back,quality second striker and wide player.Thought about an additional centre back but can see Baker making one of the places his own has everything to be a top defender..

New keeper,left back,quality second striker and wide player.Thought about an additional centre back but can see Baker making one of the places his own has everything to be a top defender..

I'd still like another experienced defender to replace vlaar. Think we need 5 for the season.

The defence needs a major overhaul along with a defensive midfieder , at the moment we have to many injury prone defenders and that includes baker and Clarke because the way they tackle will lead to injuries. We need solid performers not occasional stars who generally resemble titus bramble. 

I'd still like another experienced defender to replace vlaar. Think we need 5 for the season.

Good point Vlaar has made some terrible  istakes from what I have seen from afar down here is Swansea,compare him with the 2 centre backs of the Swans Williams and Fernandez,who they picked up for £8M, and he is miles behind them.

Why on Earth would somebody leave a job as number two keeper at Dortmund to become a number two at Villa? 

(EDIT: In response to a suggestion on the previous page)

I think people are misunderstanding the process of buying a keeper. You don't get a good goalkeeper unless they're going to be number one, which is how even top teams sometimes have very average number twos (Mark Schwarzer was Chelsea's number two last season). This is because very few teams rotate goalkeepers, and only ever do so because things are going tits up. If we want a number two, we'll end up with Steve Harper or someone. 

The only way to improve your goalkeeping corps is to buy someone who is better than your number one. If we're not prepared to buy someone better than Guzan, then we shouldn't buy anyone, and wait a year until Given's contract expires. I think that would be a mistake - we should buy a better keeper than Guzan, and I fully anticipate that will happen over the summer. 

Jack Butland signed for Stoke and has had to bide his time behind Begovic but is now staking his claim as number one.

The defence needs a major overhaul along with a defensive midfieder , at the moment we have to many injury prone defenders and that includes baker and Clarke because the way they tackle will lead to injuries. We need solid performers not occasional stars who generally resemble titus bramble. 

Clark isn't injury-prone, not even close to it.

Clark isn't injury-prone, not even close to it.

He's not talking about Clark. He's talking about Clarke, duh.

• Like 3

Ideally, this summer, I'd like:

A Centre half

A full back for each side

Another striker

Sinclair/Cleverley

We could do with some more midfield cover too, but I'd be pretty happy with the above. The defence definitely needs to be shored up a bit imo, and we could do with another striker. It'd be amazing if Benteke stays, but we still need more cover in that position, even with Kozak returning. Gabby is inconsistent and it doesn't look like Weimann will be seeing much of the starting 11, so we could really do with another decent striker to partner the big man up front.

• Like 1