Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

The Van Damme of the North East, Lionel Perez, with his sexy hair and even sexier leg saves.

I think Martinez's outside the penalty area save from Maupay yesterday, and my general belief that keepers that are 'good with their feet' could be so more robustly and tenaciously, must have triggered foolishly fond memories.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Greenfly said:

I was thinking about our relegation squad earlier, and I found myself wondering whatever happened to Carles Gil? As far as I can tell, he's currently captain of New England Revolution in MLS.

He was so highly rated by them that he was bought in as a designated player, which basically means MLS teams are permitted to break their salary cap in order to bring them in. He also won best newcomer in his debut season, along with "man of the year", which I assume is the same as player of the season.

I'm happy for him. I've always liked him. He never had a chance of succeeding in that Villa team.

He's done well in MLS. He is better than most players here and it shows on the pitch. He won "Best Newcomer" his first season. MLS defending is an attack minded player's fantasy. But I sort of felt bad for the guy. He went from a packed Villa Park to 6,000 Revolution fans in a 60K seat NFL stadium in Massachusetts. Playing in snow on fake grass.

Edited by maqroll

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Papa Boupa Diop. RIP

Was such a powerhouse running through midfield. I always wanted Villa to sign someone like him back in the 2000s

Fulham had a really nice midfield in those days with likes of him and Steed Malbranque who was also on the wishlist most transfer windows.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Winston Reid, still has a 3 year contract left with West Ham

That's mad. He was good defender around 2015-16 period but I can't remember him playing for them in years. When on earth did they give him new 5 year contract?!:lol:

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That's mad. He was good defender around 2015-16 period but I can't remember him playing for them in years. When on earth did they give him new 5 year contract?!:lol:

Apparently they gave him a 6 year contract in 2017

• Haha 2

Probably been mentioned but Oscar, retired from football in 2017 to go and play in China, still only 29. Honestly hadn't given him a second thought since about a week after he left Chelsea, was a good player as well. Now into his 4th season with Shanghai, what a waste of the prime years of his career.

5 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Watching the play off final back, I'd completely forgot that Ashley Cole played against us for Derby that day. If you'd pressed me on it I'd have told you he retired years ago

I was so happy when I read his and Huddlestone's names on the team sheet. Knew we had it in the bag (kinda).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I was so happy when I read his and Huddlestone's names on the team sheet. Knew we had it in the bag (kinda).

Bradley Johnson and Thuddlestone is as immobile a central two in midfield as you can get, think Cole was only playing as their regular LB got sent off v Leeds.

Â