Pre-match thread

roonst83

Senderos Vlaar Kozak Cole Cleverley Okore all in full training. Options are returning.

Assuming with Kinsella out on loan cissohko or Richardson are fit too

Edited by KSV

12/1 on offer if you fancy a punt, Or if you fancy a safe double chance, Villa & The Draw is 14/5

• Manchester United have 31 Premier League wins against Aston Villa, the joint-most of any team against any opponent in the history of the competition (along with Man Utd v Everton).
  • Aston Villa have won just one of the last 38 Premier League games against Manchester United (L27 D10 W1).
  • Wayne Rooney has scored 12 goals against Aston Villa, his joint-highest tally against any opponent in Premier League history along with Newcastle United.
  • Aston Villa are the only side in the Premier League this season yet to see a substitute score or assist a single one of their goals.
  • Rooney has scored eight goals in his last six Premier League games at Old Trafford against the Villans, netting four braces.
  • Villa have seen six players sent off in the Premier League this season; two more than they had in any previous Premier League campaign.
  • Rooney has scored 95 goals at Old Trafford, only Alan Shearer with 97 at St James Park (two for Blackburn) and Thierry Henry with 114 at Highbury have scored more goals on one single ground in Premier League history.
  • The Red Devils have won 12 of their last 14 Premier League matches at Old Trafford (D1 L1).
  • On just eight occasions this season have a side used two or more players that are under 20 in a Premier League game - seven of these have been by Manchester United (Arsenal the other).
  • Aston Villa have scored just two goals in the final half an hour in the Premier League this season- Man Utd have scored more in the 90th minute or later (3). 

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/man-utd-v-aston-villa/winner

I hope we attack them.

If they are still in form they will win either way, at least if Sherwood sticks to his principles ( I don't buy it is naivety he just thinks front foot football will bring better returns over a season, and I agree) we could give them a game if they are below par.

I've lost count of the number of times in the last two years...four years..?....that we have gone out intending to keep things tight against all sorts of opposition only to let form sides beat us and off form sides find form !

If we lose we lose but I'd love to see us really commit to attacking them.

You see it's easy to make these sort of statements but United are actually playing well know and if we flood them forward Rooney, Mata and Herrera will have plenty more space to create and probably score chances.

Remember we did that last year, Benteke missed a shed load last season and we lost 4-1.

The point people are missing is we've worked hard over the last few weeks to get the worst GD in the league back in the group of clubs, indeed ours is 3 better than Sunderland's now. When you're in a relegation battle these things matter.

So a 3 goal defeat for us and Sunderland winning and they go above us again which wouldn't be great. Burnley's GD is marginally worse than ours aswell.

It wouldn't be great to get thumped given we then have Spurs away and also Man. City before the end of the month. I'd rather try to keep it tight for an hour and if that's the case then go for it as a 1 goal defeat wouldn't hurt us too much.

I hope we attack them.

If they are still in form they will win either way, at least if Sherwood sticks to his principles ( I don't buy it is naivety he just thinks front foot football will bring better returns over a season, and I agree) we could give them a game if they are below par.

I've lost count of the number of times in the last two years...four years..?....that we have gone out intending to keep things tight against all sorts of opposition only to let form sides beat us and off form sides find form !

If we lose we lose but I'd love to see us really commit to attacking them.

You see it's easy to make these sort of statements but United are actually playing well know and if we flood them forward Rooney, Mata and Herrera will have plenty more space to create and probably score chances.

Remember we did that last year, Benteke missed a shed load last season and we lost 4-1.

The point people are missing is we've worked hard over the last few weeks to get the worst GD in the league back in the group of clubs, indeed ours is 3 better than Sunderland's now. When you're in a relegation battle these things matter.

So a 3 goal defeat for us and Sunderland winning and they go above us again which wouldn't be great. Burnley's GD is marginally worse than ours aswell.

It wouldn't be great to get thumped given we then have Spurs away and also Man. City before the end of the month. I'd rather try to keep it tight for an hour and if that's the case then go for it as a 1 goal defeat wouldn't hurt us too much.

I've seen no evidence to suggest us playing tight would keep the score down.....I'm not advocating ' flooding forward' but playing the same front foot football Sherwood has advocated and tried to play all along.

I'm not convinced chopping and changing styles based on the opposition is a good idea unless you are top 6. I have seen sides go for it and win at OT and seen them lose. As I said, if they are on their game whatever we do won't help, but if we go there for a point that's the best we can hope for.

I don't think goal difference will matter.....I think if we play to win every game well be well clear by the end.

• Like 1

A lot depends on folks interpretation of defensive football.

Getting numbers behind the ball and sitting in your own half is a very shallow form of it.

Keeping the ball, squeezing/pressing them and denying them space is difficult but a more sophisticated way of doing it.

There is also an old saying that attack is the best form of defence and while we are not prolific scorers we are not particularly frugal at the back either.

I can' t see us getting a result.....but if we have any chance at all the players must play like they believe we can.

• Like 1

This is a depressing thread. Villa should stay home and save the money, I suppose.

Its been a depressing fixture for two decades

Unfortunately Man Utd are just on a very good run at the moment with Fellani and Rooney playing very well. We'll still be dangerous on the counter but can't see anything but a loss.

Edited by DiegoD