Pre-match thread

roonst83

The worrying thing for me is we have only one fit centre back. It will be a huge risk to pick Senderos after being out so long and Vlaar too. Maybe Sanchez will be shifted there for this game.

Every team in the league would stand a chance of getting something here except us. We simply do not cause any shocks anymore.

With Okore injured and Clark one tackle away from a suspension we are really struggling to put out a defence. I do worry we could be in for a pasting here if Tim sets us up to go for it. Whatever team we field I can't see past a very comfortable win for United.

At least Sherwood hasn't been long enough at Villa to be weighed down with all the psychological baggage when we have to play United. Nothing to lose game unless we get hammered 5-0.

Doesn't matter - everyone's aware of the record. It's how United have so consistently had one over on us despite squads and managers changing over the years.

But that's really a kind of magical thinking, isn't it? I never quite buy this thing of club-to-club result records as a predictor of future results. The fact that ManU seems finally to be finding a way to use Mata is more for me the determining factor.

Nothing to do with "magical thinking" and normally I don't think club-to-club records have an impact but this is an exception. They have such a good record against us (even when you take into account the difference in squad quality) that you have to take into account the psychological effect that will have on the players. You could reverse it and use the example of us at Anfield as well - we've been so good there almost every season for quite a while now and that will feed into the mindset of the players when they play there again.

All established Premier League teams have a very poor record vs Man Utd due to the Fergie years, don't get all the crying about being cursed etc.

3-0 sounds about right with Sherwood coming out with "these aren't the matches that will keep us in the league" type cliche. 

Who said anything about curses?

Isn't our record actually worse against Spurs in recent years?

Yeah, our recent record against Spurs is hideous but it doesn't have the same kind of history as Villa-Man United.

Edited by Mantis

Every team in the league would stand a chance of getting something here except us. We simply do not cause any shocks anymore.

With Okore injured and Clark one tackle away from a suspension we are really struggling to put out a defence. I do worry we could be in for a pasting here if Tim sets us up to go for it. Whatever team we field I can't see past a very comfortable win for United.

You sure every team has a chance of getting something at OT?

Also Vlaar is fit for Saturday according to his AVTV interview.

The famous Ferguson teamtalk of "It's Spurs" is fitting for us too I think.

I'm sure Gary Neville in the past has said he felt like games vs us at Villa Park were like home games because they always always beat us.

It's a psychological thing.

But I guess the best thing going in our favour is that United have been on such a huge transition over the past 2 seasons that most of the players/staff that would benefit from that psychological boost are gone.

I honestly think we can win this match for a few reasons.

1 - Our record has been so poor in the past that we're due for a win. I know that you can make the arguement, "We've been saying that for twenty years," but I think this is finally the one where we knick it. The players are different, the managers are different, so let's hope the result is different! A result similar to the Chelsea match last March is what I'm hoping for.

2 - Ron Vlaar. Considering the rumors that have been circulating throughout the year regarding a move to United, and the circumstances of his terrible tackle at the death of the Stoke match, I think Vlaar will display a heroic performance at Old Trafford. If not for Villa, for his own benefit when he inevitably leaves at the end of the season.

3 - I'm an optimist (if you couldn't tell).

After all of the crap we've sat through this season, I think we're due for a shock.

UTV

• Like 1

If clark can get through the Utd game without a Yellow he won`t need to worry about a ban as the rules say after second sunday in april the 10 yellows don`t apply

We still have two matches between this game and the second sunday in April though

If Okore is fit I'd be tempted to go five at the back. I thought that tactic worked well for us against them at VP and looking at recent line ups a lot of their play will go through the middle so I'd rather have the extra body in there. That and hopefully Bacuna or Hutton at RB will have a better game against Young than Lowton did at VP.

I hope we attack them.

If they are still in form they will win either way, at least if Sherwood sticks to his principles ( I don't buy it is naivety he just thinks front foot football will bring better returns over a season, and I agree) we could give them a game if they are below par.

I've lost count of the number of times in the last two years...four years..?....that we have gone out intending to keep things tight against all sorts of opposition only to let form sides beat us and off form sides find form !

If we lose we lose but I'd love to see us really commit to attacking them.

• Like 1