Rushian Hepburn-Murphy

PieFacE

On 22/01/2019 at 20:03, flashingqwerty said:

So many of our talented young players lack this basic hunger and drive that i cant help but think that the youth coaching has something to do with it.

its not just us though is it? its the majority of young players at the majority of clubs but its definitely the fault of those pesky foreigners

trent is also right, we are desperate for one of our own youngsters to make it, imagine if we had 3 or 4 jack grealish, in reality the U23 development league is shit, its needs another overhaul, you cant judge anything based on it anymore

we currently have 3 academy graduates playing in the PL, thats it, we dont produce that many players, never have in the PL era

18 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, he’s a brilliant young striker, I’ve seen him many times for the u18s and u23s. His natural ability is excellent, I’m going to get shot down again but I’m not going to back down, he’s quite possibly the most talented footballer I’ve seen come through the academy apart from Grealish

I agree. 

(Well actually I don't - but just thought I would lend a little moral support) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, he’s a brilliant young striker, I’ve seen him many times for the u18s and u23s. His natural ability is excellent, I’m going to get shot down again but I’m not going to back down, he’s quite possibly the most talented footballer I’ve seen come through the academy apart from Grealish

And Ethan Moore who was the greatest talent of his generation. Obviously.

Sorry but I can't take you seriously, I don't even think you really mean this.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Have watched him many a time in the u23s, he has potential, if he is put into our first team now he could shine, it's as simple as that..

One thing I like about him is his awareness and ability to out turn his mark, he also has an accurate foot with some shooting power on, you can take that to the bank.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Have watched him many a time in the u23s, he has potential, if he is put into our first team now he could shine, it's as simple as that..

One thing I like about him is his awareness and ability to out turn his mark, he also has an accurate foot with some shooting power on, you can take that to the bank.

I agree entirely

Sounds like he could be the striker leading our line next season then. For as brilliant as Abraham is, accuracy doesnt seem to come into it too much. 

Hopefully the loan of RHM will help get him over the injury nightmares he has had and improve his fitness levels for us! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Or.. people just go over the top about young players.

I just don’t think he is very good.

To be fair Trent, you also didnt think Albrighton was much good either and he went on to get a League Championship medal.

Ive watched a lot of our youth and u23 teams, having been part of the youth team at villa myself in the mid 90s.

My experience of the coaches at the time was that they fed into the players egos and gave them too much confidence, so that when it came to making the step up they thought they were already too good, and it would be easy.

For me this meant that they no longer had the fight in them to train harder and look to improve further because they were being told how great they were and how easy it was going to be to make it.

Cant speak for the coaches there now - but having spoken to people at youth level at the time, youth coaches were not doing that at other clubs.

For my part, i was let go before the end of my first year due to injury, and more than 20 years later am still sufferring from it.

7 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

To be fair Trent, you also didnt think Albrighton was much good either and he went on to get a League Championship medal.

Ive watched a lot of our youth and u23 teams, having been part of the youth team at villa myself in the mid 90s.

My experience of the coaches at the time was that they fed into the players egos and gave them too much confidence, so that when it came to making the step up they thought they were already too good, and it would be easy.

For me this meant that they no longer had the fight in them to train harder and look to improve further because they were being told how great they were and how easy it was going to be to make it.

Cant speak for the coaches there now - but having spoken to people at youth level at the time, youth coaches were not doing that at other clubs.

For my part, i was let go before the end of my first year due to injury, and more than 20 years later am still sufferring from it.

First of all, sorry to hear the last bit fella.

On the youth coaching, I can believe that was the case then I don't believe that is the case now. In fact I'd say recent reports suggest its gone too far the other way, if anything spoils young players these days its lack of opportunity and motivation due to wealth.

As for Albrighton, I'm sorry but that is just incorrect. I was a big fan of Albrighton, I was one of the few that was angry when he left and I consistently tried to correct people when they said he turned down a contract.

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

its not just us though is it? its the majority of young players at the majority of clubs but its definitely the fault of those pesky foreigners

trent is also right, we are desperate for one of our own youngsters to make it, imagine if we had 3 or 4 jack grealish, in reality the U23 development league is shit, its needs another overhaul, you cant judge anything based on it anymore

we currently have 3 academy graduates playing in the PL, thats it, we dont produce that many players, never have in the PL era

No idea what foreigners have got to do with my post - strange one that...

But i agree, it isnt only us, its endemic in football in this country. Young players are given too much, too young and are made to believe they are great and its all at their feet, and only a very small number have the fight in them to overcome it.

Back in the day, and some countries still do, pro contracts could not be signed until 18 and all players u18 got a maximum wage equal to social welfare or similarly small enough amounts.  This would see the desire return to youth teams, as only those truly commited and hungry would stay on for a pro deal.

All the praise given by multiple managers to Grealish nearly ended him: crashing his car, pictured out drunk between games, etc. cos he'd made it.  Took being frozen out and the guidance of Bruce and Terry to get him back on track, and im still not convinced he is over it fully.

and based on trents snapshot of RHMs wiki i had a look at the other England U20 strikers, there are currently 6 in the squad, makes for depressing reading, only 2 of them have goals at senior level, Eze has 6 goals in 43 games for QPR, tavernier has 4 in 15 games for boro, U19s 5 strikers with 0 goals between them, if you look at the U21s abraham can skew it with goals he has scored while out on loan but for chelsea he is 0 goals, gray is 7 goals in 97 games, solanke is 1 in 21 and calvert lewin is 9 goals in 63

you could make an argument that no one is actually scoring that many goals at that kind of age other than rashford

harry kane at 20 had 1 game for spurs and only 14 goals in 56 loan games

Edited by villa4europe

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

in reality the U23 development league is shit, its needs another overhaul, you cant judge anything based on it anymore

I don't think the U23 league is the problem here. We've got a Premier league where teams are able to hoard youth players and where big teams now habitually have thirty or more players out on loan. We have a situation where no player of real potential makes it to thirteen or fourteen without being sucked into one of the top four or five academies - the whole system around what the biggest clubs are allowed to do needs to be looked at.

I think the U23 league looks broken - but it's actually a symptom of how broken the Premier league is.

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

we currently have 3 academy graduates playing in the PL, thats it, we don't produce that many players, never have in the PL era

Cahill, Albrighton and Hogg?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:
22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

we currently have 3 academy graduates playing in the PL, thats it, we don't produce that many players, never have in the PL era

Cahill, Albrighton and Hogg?

Clark at Newcastle as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

and based on trents snapshot of RHMs wiki i had a look at the other England U20 strikers, there are currently 6 in the squad, makes for depressing reading, only 2 of them have goals at senior level, Eze has 6 goals in 43 games for QPR, tavernier has 4 in 15 games for boro, U19s 5 strikers with 0 goals between them, if you look at the U21s abraham can skew it with goals he has scored while out on loan but for chelsea he is 0 goals, gray is 7 goals in 97 games, solanke is 1 in 21 and calvert lewin is 9 goals in 63

you could make an argument that no one is actually scoring that many goals at that kind of age other than rashford

harry kane at 20 had 1 game for spurs and only 14 goals in 56 loan games

The U20s team is basically just for those who aren't good enough to move from the U19s to U21s. It's no worry.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The U20s team is basically just for those who aren't good enough to move from the U19s to U21s. It's no worry.

its bringing it inline with others around the world, south america play U20s, there is no U21s world cup, there is no U20s Euros but ze germans have created a european U20 league with 8 teams 

Interesting that we *only* have 4 players playing in the premier league from our academy, that's a weird use of "only" for me. 4 Prem quality players for free right now would be a right kick in the bollocks from our rubbish academy.

34 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Interesting that we *only* have 4 players playing in the premier league from our academy, that's a weird use of "only" for me. 4 Prem quality players for free right now would be a right kick in the bollocks from our rubbish academy.

Only 4? I’d say that’s quite a lot from one club. Why do you think the academy is rubbish? Andre Green is beginning to look a player as I expected after his loan spell. I think he’ll go on and cement himself in the first XI and of course we have Grealish who I nearly forgot about, he’s probably the best player I’ve seen come through the academy. We also have Rushian Hepburn-Murphy who is currently on loan at Cambridge United who I expect will go straight in our first XI when he comes back from his loan

Â