The Hillsborough inquest

BOF

10 hours ago, blandy said:

Where did this crap come from. There is zero evidence of this. None whatsoever. It has in fact been proven to be untrue and a lie by Duckenfield. He admitted it was his lie in the inquest.

How **** ignorant do people have to be?

You can have your own opinion, even if it's utter shite, but you can't have your own facts

It had to be withdrawn through public pressure, as there was no 'factual' evidence. 

There were no doubt many failings by SYP, an its true, I have a different opinion of the whole event through people who were there. But still have huge respect for the 96 and the families, so I don't wish to bring them to the table.

It's not embarrassing, it's offensive.

Like someone said earlier, I'm slightly sad by Woodytoms views. I don't take it them seriously, because they are unqualified and frankly ridiculous.

What I can't imagine is the hurt the victim's families feel when they hear this sort of nonsense though. I should imagine it makes them quite angry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

First of all, it was blandy who first mentioned freezing so we were talking about it as he brought it up. 

Are you going to ask him why we're talking about it?

Also, it shouldn't have ever got to that point. Kind of what I've said already. Hence why I don't think the opening of the gate should be singled out as a separate mistake in the way that it is.

He was the first to use the word 'freeze', however looking back at the conversation @blandy was responding to your point about 'a reactionary decision based on the information he was given at the time: 'open the gate or people are going to die', ie. the moment he chose to open the gate, which is what you've tried to make all too much of the conversation about. 

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

I have no issue with you mentioning. I think it's relevant. 

Some people don't though. They thought I'd mentioned it so as usual jumped on me.

I just thought it'd be interesting to see if they questioned it's relevance if they had bothered to read properly and see it was you that mentioned it. Doubt it though.

There's really no need to talk about me behind my back like that, you can just tag me in the post if you would like a response. 

^This point can't be emphasised enough. 

It's very important, when people say 'well, fans were drunk' to say 'so what'. Alcohol is legal in this country, and traditionally consumed before football matches. If your policing plan for crowd control assumes 30,000 teetotalers in attendance, then your plan isn't fit for purpose.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

It's not embarrassing, it's offensive.

Like someone said earlier, I'm slightly sad by Woodytoms views. I don't take it them seriously, because they are unqualified and frankly ridiculous.

What I can't imagine is the hurt the victim's families feel when they hear this sort of nonsense though. I should imagine it makes them quite angry.

Yeah, pretty much this.

I don't think Woodytom is meaning to be offensive at all, but calling into question all the evidence and inquest findings then making up facts, such as numbers of ticketless fans and trying to attribute some blame to them, leaves a bad taste.

The Guardian has put up this David Conn Video showing the findings of the Inquest and what happened. It's really good.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-inquiry-anatomy-of-a-disaster-video?CMP=share_btn_tw

David Conn analyses the evidence with the help of recently released footage from the day, to build a picture of how 96 Liverpool supporters died at the Sheffield stadium, and how it has taken so long for the truth of their story to emerge

• Like 1

On 29 April 2016 at 05:20, ThunderPower_14 said:

The "Liverpool fans were drunk and unruly" argument is dumb.

Football fans are drunk and unruly at every big game every, especially when there is a massive travelling contingent like in a FA Cup semi final. But people didn't die from crush injuries at every game. They died at this one, and it's because of the horrendous mismanagement of the Police on duty.

I, very stupidly and probably through a hatred of Liverpool, used to subscribe to the theory that Liverpool fans were partly to blame. But it falls away so quickly when you think about it for a second. There were hordes of eager, drunken and excitable fans desperate to get in at every big football match. There were people trying to get in without tickets at every big football match. These things usually didn't cause major problems because they were planned for and taken care of by Police.

At Hillsborough, Duckenfield completely shat the bed and turned what probably wasn't far from a typical FA Cup Semi Final excitable crowd into something out of a horror movie.

Me too, I was previously one of those who, due to a combination of my intense dislike for Liverpool (the club) and not knowing the truth about the events, was largely unsympathetic to the cause. I feel slightly embarrassed to have held certain views previously, although I suppose that was as a consequence of being lied to.

I'm glad some level of peace will be brought to those families now. 

• Like 4

have to say fair play Everton not just today but in general, like lets be honest if happened Villa or blues I dont think same reaction would happen whether vice/versa

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

have to say fair play Everton not just today but in general, like lets be honest if happened Villa or blues I dont think same reaction would happen whether vice/versa

You don't know, Sunderland/Newcastle is just as fierce rivalry and I remember when the two Newcastle fans perished in the Malaysian Airlines crash over summer 2014, whole of Stadium of Light joined in the applause at the next Derby played there and St James Park.

Tragedy in football can unite on occasions. 

45 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Anyone watching the Hillsborough documentary on BBC 2?

I'm watching it. I feel my blood boiling with anger. I can't imagine how the families of the victims feel. The establishment should hang their heads in shame. 

have to say I know Liverpool fans were found innocent but I think Klopp saying Liverpool fans should travel to Basel without tickets was very stupid and ill-timed 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I'm watching it. I feel my blood boiling with anger. I can't imagine how the families of the victims feel. The establishment should hang their heads in shame. 

I was angry but mostly I was embarrassed that I'd believed so much of the lies for so long. 

I think there's a few posters in this thread who should do themselves a favour and watch the documentary through. I've no doubt it'll clear up the obvious falsehoods that have been peddled in here of late.

Â