The Hillsborough inquest

BOF

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Klopp saying Liverpool fans should travel to Basel without tickets was very stupid and ill-timed 

Why?

When World cups are on, they have fan parks and stuff in city centres, they're very popular. When Celtic played, was it in Lisbon? against Porto in the final there were something like 60,000 Celtic fans went without tickets and had a great time.

In other words, why is there this attitude that football fans, or Liverpool fans are automatically a problem?

Is it because "we" are so accustomed to being badly treated and badly looked upon that somehow we subconsciously have this "football fans are a problem group" attitude?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, choffer said:

I think there's a few posters in this thread who should do themselves a favour and watch the documentary through. I've no doubt it'll clear up the obvious falsehoods that have been peddled in here of late.

I can guarantee it wouldn't.

• Like 1

SYP back in the news.

This time for the most ridiculous of reasons.

'Man goes out and has a drink in his spare time shocker'.

Would say he's probably a victim of the last few weeks with hillsbrough as the SYP image is most certainly damaged.

Have to say a real touch of class from West Brom this weekend who have honoured the Hillsborough victims by placing 96 red seats in the away end for their final home game of the season v Liverpool.  Great gesture.

• Like 3

O.k different angle on this but on my way to Barnsley yesterday I decided to detour v Hillsborough and pay my respects to the memorial. 

One thing I can't understand standing outside Leppings Lane...why on earth haven't they redeveloped the stand...it still looks on the outside like it's still the 1980s although of course they've improved stuff inside.

You'd think after what happened at that part they'd have wanted to demolish it and start again and just make a more supporter friendly stand.

The memorial isn't even outside there but rather the main entrance to Hillsborough. Just found it a bit odd. 

On 5/9/2016 at 19:13, blandy said:

Why?

When World cups are on, they have fan parks and stuff in city centres, they're very popular. When Celtic played, was it in Lisbon? against Porto in the final there were something like 60,000 Celtic fans went without tickets and had a great time.

In other words, why is there this attitude that football fans, or Liverpool fans are automatically a problem?

Is it because "we" are so accustomed to being badly treated and badly looked upon that somehow we subconsciously have this "football fans are a problem group" attitude?

Because, aside from Hillsborough which has turned out to have been the fault of the police, Liverpool fans in particular have previous in being a pain in the arse when going abroad for European ties... They ARE a problem...

Heysel, Athens and now Basel...

and on one of those occasions, they got English teams banned from European football...

4 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Because, aside from Hillsborough which has turned out to have been the fault of the police, Liverpool fans in particular have previous in being a pain in the arse when going abroad for European ties... They ARE a problem...

Heysel, Athens and now Basel...

and on one of those occasions, they got English teams banned from European football...

Who knows if they're always like it, but I have a Milan-fan friend who lived in Athens up until about 2 years ago. The horror stories about Liverpool fans for the 2007 Final he has are mental.

Unsure if the comment was made by a man united fan but read that some of them stormed the barriers in Basel, I take it with a pinch of salt as I havent seen it reported outside of facebook

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Unsure if the comment was made by a man united fan but read that some of them stormed the barriers in Basel, I take it with a pinch of salt as I havent seen it reported outside of facebook

It was heavily rumoured many did that in the 2007 CL final as the poster above yours has hinted at, I remember at the time it was briefly reported there was chaos that night but don't think the press there go in that area now unless something major happens. 

I think I read somewhere that uefa have opened 9 cases looking info liverpool fans THIS season.

Indeed Ben rumsby  (whoever he is) highlighted this in his first paragraph of an article for the telegraph on may 20th, which is available online.

I will see if I can manage to quote it but it usually doesn't work for me.

Edited by Woodytom

• 4 weeks later...

South Yorkshire Police spend £2.1m on chief's Hillsborough costs

South Yorkshire Police spent at least £2.1m on legal fees representing its suspended Chief Constable David Crompton during the Hillsborough Inquests, the BBC has discovered.

Mr Crompton's barrister alone was paid over £1m to represent him.

Several victims' families complained to the police watchdog about Mr Crompton's conduct during the inquests.

They claim the chief constable "instructed his legal team to pour blame on to Liverpool fans".

...more on link

• 1 year later...

Hillsborough Charging Decisions

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has today (28 June) announced its charging decisions in relation to the Hillsborough disaster and its aftermath.

Sue Hemming, Head of the CPS Special Crime and Counter Terrorism Division, made the announcement to families of the deceased at a private meeting in Warrington this morning.

She said: "Following our careful review of the evidence, in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors, I have decided that there is sufficient evidence to charge six individuals with criminal offences.

"Criminal proceedings have now commenced and the defendants have a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings."

Charges have been authorised against:

• David Duckenfield, who was the Match Commander for South Yorkshire Police on the day of the disaster
  • Graham Henry Mackrell, who was Sheffield Wednesday Football Club's company secretary and safety officer at the time of the disaster in 1989
  • Peter Metcalf, the solicitor acting for the South Yorkshire Police during the Taylor Inquiry and the first inquests
  • Former Chief Superintendent Donald Denton of South Yorkshire Police
  • Former Detective Chief Inspector Alan Foster of South Yorkshire Police
  • Norman Bettison, a former officer with South Yorkshire Police and subsequently Chief Constable of Merseyside and West Yorkshire Police

The decisions have also this morning been relayed to other interested parties, including the defendants and other suspects who were referred to the CPS by Operation Resolve and the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

...more on link

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Hope family and friends of the victims can at last feel that justice has been served with this decision.  Terrible tragedy and one not fully appreciated by me at the time as I was only 14.  All I cared about back then was football and I can't imagine the feeling of going to a game with my son now and returning home without him?  Terrible waste of life.  RIP to the 96. 

I was in Liverpool today when the news came through, I don't think anyone can quite appreciate the hurt and anger that lives on in the city. 

The news today will be welcomed I'm sure but I'm not sure they'll see it as justice yet.

Lets face it even if people are found guilty, coming 30 years late it's hard to even see the justice then.

40 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I was in Liverpool today when the news came through, I don't think anyone can quite appreciate the hurt and anger that lives on in the city. 

The news today will be welcomed I'm sure but I'm not sure they'll see it as justice yet.

Lets face it even if people are found guilty, coming 30 years late it's hard to even see the justice then.

I understand what you are saying but at least justice is being brought and it's not been one of those tragedies that's been swept under the carpet despite it being 30 years.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I understand what you are saying but at least justice is being brought and it's not been one of those tragedies that's been swept under the carpet despite it being 30 years.

They've not been convicted yet.

Meanwhile they live in the houses paid for by their continued Police careers and pensions. 

I am in no way a lawyer, but at a complete guess they may well find it easier to convict people of the 'dereliction of duty' type stuff rather than the big corporate manslaughter charge for Duckenfield. It's an extremely difficult charge to prove. 

Â