Paddy Riley

smetrov

1) Isn't it Reilly?

2) Wasn't he still at Liverpool when we signed Westwood and Benteke?

1. According to his LinkedIn account and most media reports it's Riley.

2. Left for Liverpool after the signing of Benteke and westwood, returned just before christmas.

Did he have anything to do with Gil, or wasn't he back with us when he was scouted? Not that it matters particularly, it's just that if he's unearthed a few gems like that then who know what he'll get in the future.

I've read online in his first spell he spotted Benteke and suggested him to Lambert!! and elsewhere that he also spotted Gil (As he arrived back from Liverpool before Christmas)

Again not 100% sure if this info is correct just passing on what I have read on other forums.

Well Sky reported that he had returned for the January window (although in common with the Birmingham Mail, they spell his name wrong!) so the assumption must be, yes, he spotted Gil.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9603872/aston-villa-chairman-randy-lerner-gives-the-go-ahead-for-january-transfers

Aston Villa's chief executive Tom Fox has revealed that Randy Lerner will be looking to invest in new players during the January transfer window.

Villa's chairman is understood to have found a new ambition for Paul Lambert’s side, despite putting the club up for sale over the summer.

Paddy Reilly has been drafted in as the club’s director of recruitment with the full backing of Lerner, who is willing to provide cash with long-term goals in mind.

His Liverpool link maybe explains why they thought the late bid for Lambert (Ricky) might be on.

OK, just looking at his employment dates with us and Liverpool, as shown on LInkedIn, here is a list of the players who came to each club while he was head of recruitment/scouting at each club. Not saying he was necessarily responsible for scouting all of these, in particular the July 2011 ones when he was new to the post (having been Head of performance analysis at Villa before then)

Head of Recruitment & Analytics   Aston Villa  

July 2011 – November 2012

Shay Given

Charles N'Zogbia
Alan Hutton
Enda Stevens
Karim El Ahmadi
Brett Holman
Matthew Lowton
Ron Vlaar
Joe Bennett
Christian Benteke
Jordan Bowery
Ashley R Westwood

Scouting Coordinator Liverpool  

November 2012 - [?December 2014?]

Daniel Sturridge
Philippe Coutinho
Luis Alberto
Iago Aspas
Simon Mignolet
Joao Teixeira
Kolo Toure
Mamadou Sakho
Tiago Ilori
Kevin Stewart
Rickie Lambert
Adam Lallana
Emre Can
Lazar Markovic
Dejan Lovren
Divock Origi
Alberto Moreno Perez
Mario Balotelli
Javi Manquillo (loan)

Head Of RecruitmentAston Villa 
[?December 2014] - present
Carles Gil
Scott Sinclair (loan)

Obviously working with a bigger budget at Liverpool but not a bad track record!

Edited by briny_ear

• 10 months later...

It is one thing spotting talent it is quite another buying players for your needs.

there are many motives for buying players and ways for acquiring them.

we have seen in clear evidence teams from below us come past like a steam train and while we busy ourselves bitching about how much money we are disadvantaged by.......these teams just get on with it by applying industry nous and prudent decisions.

we have an academy revered in some quarters but in reality produces championship players at best....other teams like Everton & Southampton eclipse us for quality.

I'm not trying to be negative, but we need to wake up and know we are not very good at recruitment.

Edited by TRO

Southamptons youth academy is phenomenal for quality - but they spend a monster amount.

They have youth teams situated all over the country - they pick up players everywhere and find gems. They recruited (15 years ago) the best youth coaches to do this and spent a fortune setting it up.

Ours is still very much as it has been - using locally based kids mainly and then add in when reaching U17+.

We're behind the times now in regards of this - our youth academy isn't as revered as it was.

1 hour ago, mwj said:

I assume we're utilising this by all the slagging off over "data" he's getting in the media:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10120950/wyscout-the-scouting-platform-used-by-arsenal-manchester-united-and-others

So a guy living in Italy wakes up one morning and hits on an idea for creating a footballers database and calls it Wyscout.....fine......and then we all buy in to that, lazy scouting.

Not much different from the modern method of buying off the internet....fine too, but has its limitations.

.....but do we REALLY know what we are buying, stats are OK up to a point, but not the complete low down.

but there is a trade off for speed.....it's called quality and trust.

there has been a tried and tested system for years and it has served us well.....It's like a ripple effect the further afield you go the more likely it is to struggle for loyalty and passion and more likely to have to pay through the nose.

The Gary Shaws and Keith Leonard's must still be out there.

We simply haven't got the funds to make the amount of mistakes the rich clubs can and unfortunately have evidence to prove it.

we need to get more right than wrong.....that simply hasn't happened.

Edited by TRO

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

So a guy living in Italy wakes up one morning and hits on an idea for creating a footballers database and calls it Wyscout.....fine......and then we all buy in to that, lazy scouting.

Not much different from the modern method of buying off the internet....fine too, but has its limitations.

.....but do we REALLY know what we are buying, stats are OK up to a point, but not the complete low down.

but there is a trade off for speed.....it's called quality and trust.

there has been a tried and tested system for years and it has served us well.....It's like a ripple effect the further afield you go the more likely it is to struggle for loyalty and passion and more likely to have to pay through the nose.

The Gary Shaws and Keith Leonard's must still be out there.

We simply haven't got the funds to make the amount of mistakes the rich clubs can and unfortunately have evidence to prove it.

we need to get more right than wrong.....that simply hasn't happened.

I understand the passion in your post but I don't understand what you are suggesting to make things better?? What is this tried and trusted system that you are recommending??

I'd love it if the academy could produce another Gary Shaw but they don't come along that often.  I also think that things have moved on to a point where the jump from non-league to Premiership is just too great.  I'm sure you'll quote Vardy back at me but I think that he represents a one-off rather than a rich seam of non-league talent ready to be mined.

Personally I don't think that the quality of the recruits is as bad as the lack of balance and thought when putting them together into a squad - I place most of the blame with Sherwood for this

• Like 1

Â