Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Wasn't German narrowly defeated when they were deciding what their first language would be?

quick google: myth!

English only became the official language in 2006

48 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Are you sure? I didn’t think they had a de jure official language at all. 

I just recalled reading that  a vote was passed to say all federal stuff had to be in English ... which I took to then make it the official language ... could well be that they still don’t have an official one tbh 

On 2/9/2018 at 02:26, HanoiVillan said:

Well, China is the wrong colour for a start. 

Vietnam might be one of the hardest countries to conquer in the world. The climate, the terrain and the local population are some seriously tough opponents. 

Australia fought alongside the US in Vietnam.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised to see Los Cabos at the top of the list.  That's still a very popular tourist destination for people in the western US and i've heard nothing about violence being a problem.   I guess as long as you stick by the huge resorts on the riviera you're ok.   Acapulco was a high profile popular/exotic resort area in the 60's and 70's.   You don't hear much about it any longer, but I had heard they'd had some issues there.   I remember being there 40+ years ago as a 15 year-old walking around unchaperoned with friends as we all experienced the ability to buy alcohol legally for the first time.  Either it was a lot safer then or we were really stupid.   Probably both.

Not sure whether to start a spin off thread or keep it in here but i want to try and find out a list of things that are limited to 1 country (or dispel the myths) 

For example the states and the way they write dates (and maybe the way they call the ground floor the 1st but im not sure about that) 

A lot of it will probably involve map graphics so maybe better here? 

What trivial things are there restricted to 1 country?

Im guessing a lot of them will be the states doing daft things on their own

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure whether to start a spin off thread or keep it in here but i want to try and find out a list of things that are limited to 1 country (or dispel the myths) 

For example the states and the way they write dates (and maybe the way they call the ground floor the 1st but im not sure about that) 

A lot of it will probably involve map graphics so maybe better here? 

What trivial things are there restricted to 1 country?

Im guessing a lot of them will be the states doing daft things on their own

It would be better as another thread.

It could yield some interesting results.  I'd like to offer the UK, which is the only nation that cuts its nose off to spite an immigrants face.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Map That Helped Convince Lincoln Slavery Had To End

One image did more to end slavery in the United States than any other. It was the map Lincoln used to see slavery, and it changed the way Lincoln thought about the Civil War. 

Abraham Lincoln’s map of slavery was the 1861 U.S. Coast Survey Map. It drew on census data and used groundbreaking cartographic techniques to visually depict the four million Americans held in bondage in the Southern states. The map revealed which counties had the highest concentrations of slaves, as well as which parts of the Confederacy might be the least committed to the institution.

Lincoln relied on this snapshot map of slavery before the Civil War to decide how to end slavery. The map pushed him to issue the Emancipation Proclamation, and it drove Union support for abolition during the darkest days of the Civil War.

Full article

IMG_20180312_094326.png

• Like 2

Q4y8NfCXpQ1L0xs6O02Ym9bvPIDq_t3aCtx5k12c

Wow, didn't realise that Germany divided along religious lines quite so dramatically.

East Germany given its recent history is obvious I guess but that Catholic / Protestant divide is quite pronounced, nice to see pockets of non religious people opening up in the old West germany though, at least some of them are saving their money by declaring themselves atheists

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I seem to recall religion plays a significant part in why Bavaria sees itself as exceptional.

A bit like Sutton Coldfield turning it's nose up at Birmingham.

really? why do they only pay 8% religious income tax when the rest of the country pays 9%

Â