Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

13 hours ago, MrDuck said:

best-selling-music-england.png

Best selling musical acts by county!

Don't believe a word of it. Brian Eno outselling virtually anybody? 

EDIT: forget that. I thought it meant record sales in each county, not bestselling artists FROM each county. 

Edited by mjmooney

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Don't believe a word of it. Brian Eno outselling virtually anybody? 

I will wager Slash outsells Robbie Williams, as for Brian Eno, Cathy Dennis is a Norfolk girl and responsible for some massive songs. Roger Taylor of Queen is from Norfolk as well.

Talking to industry types a few weeks ago.

Between March and December last year 10% of global CD sales - Ed Sheeran.

Though the physical formats are declining they account for 30% of music sales, and despite the impression the press give, CD massively outsells vinyl - 8-1 last time I looked.

I also got told how much he charges for a gig he doesn't really want to do.

?

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I will wager Slash outsells Robbie Williams, as for Brian Eno, Cathy Dennis is a Norfolk girl and responsible for some massive songs. Roger Taylor of Queen is from Norfolk as well.

Slash as part of Guns'n'Roses maybe, but certainly not as an artist in his own right.

The criteria seems to be where someone has grown up rather than necessarily where they were born.

Here's one relating to boroughs of London...

london-music-act.png

Ronnie Wood – Hillingdon
Elton John – Harrow
George Michael – Barnet
Amy Winehouse – Enfield
Iron Maiden – Formed by Steve Harris in Waltham Forest, where Harris was born
Dire Straits – Formed in Lewisham
Led Zeppelin – Formed in Bexley where John Paul Jones was born
Coldplay – Formed at UCL in Islington
David Bowie – Lambeth
Jools Holland – Greenwich
Rod Stewart – Camden
Billy Bragg – Barking and Dagenham
Kathy Kirby – Redbridge
Ian Drury – Raised in Havering
Professor Green – Hackney
Dizzee Rascal – Tower Hamlets
Jay Sean – Brent
Dusty Springfield – Raised in Ealing
The Kinks – Formed in Haringey
Linda Lewis – Newham
Billy Idol – Raised in Bromley

I'm not sure anything of this nature is ever that accurate though... record sales are notoriously difficult to collate, especially on a worldwide basis. You find wildly different figures for the same act all over the web. Read a very convincing article once that the most popular artist ever was Bob Marley - officially he'd sold about 75 million records, but best estimates of sales of unofficial pirated albums ran into the many hundreds of millions.

11 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Slash as part of Guns'n'Roses maybe, but certainly not as an artist in his own right.

Then surely Gary Barlow and Nicola Roberts would be discounted?

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Then surely Gary Barlow and Nicola Roberts would be discounted?

Hey I didn't make the map!  Also I haven't live in England since 2000... I don't even know who several of these artists are. But a quick google tells me that Barlow's solo record sales are over 10 million, so I reckon that's gotta take some beating.

6 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Hey I didn't make the map!  Also I haven't live in England since 2000... I don't even know who several of these artists are. But a quick google tells me that Barlow's solo record sales are over 10 million, so I reckon that's gotta take some beating.

I feel that figure might be incorrect. Gary Barlow cant get arrested as a solo artist, if anything I would say Harry Styles has outsold him. I am not saying its your map, just the representatives are questionable. On the one hand they use a member of the group in Nicola Roberts who has had minimal solo success, but dont use members of popular groups.

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I feel that figure might be incorrect. Gary Barlow cant get arrested as a solo artist, if anything I would say Harry Styles has outsold him. I am not saying its your map, just the representatives are questionable. On the one hand they use a member of the group in Nicola Roberts who has had minimal solo success, but dont use members of popular groups.

His wiki page reckons 5 million as a solo artist.

I reckon the whole thing is questionable, but it's just an interesting bit of fun at the end of the day :)

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

How many records has Jools Holland actually sold

I'd have guess about 46, but judging by wikipedia it's probably a couple of million! Released about 30 albums ?

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

There’s gotta be a musical svengali somewhere, licking their lips at the thought of the untapped potential Rutland has to offer.

220px-_The_Rutles.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â