Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

I also did that with one of the maps!

What a sad bunch we are.

Face it Welshman, you traced the map.. you don't have access to printers.. or computers... which leads me to my next question.. how on earth do you have 7,000 posts?!

I also did that with one of the maps!

What a sad bunch we are.

Face it Welshman, you traced the map.. you don't have access to printers.. or computers... which leads me to my next question.. how on earth do you have 7,000 posts?!

I'll have you know, if I did trace a map it would be foofing awesome tracing - it's what I did for a few years back in the day, with my little Rotring pens and my scale stencils and my A0 oversized tilting drafting desk.

But I now have access to a scanner that can scan and colour print 1.5 metres wide by 10 metres long. I could scan and print the mofo Bayeux Tapestry at 1:1 scale if so inclined. But I am a bit of a Luddite, I just sent somebody a drawing of a roof parapet gargoyle that I did on paper with pens and hand written notes - ha! try robbing that detail for your own cad library, mister large national construction company! 

I spend a lot of time in the golden triangle (Redditch / that London / Sittingbourne), and they have decent wifi in two of those.

(Also a rather large image when you click it)

xfIqM4i.jpg

Polish for England? Really?

I wouldn't have picked that in 50 guesses, but i've never been to England in fairness.

Polish people migrated to the UK en masse when they joined the European Union in 2004, the 2011 census said there were 579,000 Polish born people in the country and the figure is probably quite a lot higher as 2014 ends when you include the people who have moved here since the census and the children they had who were born here but are growing up in Polish speaking households.  There are four Polish grocery stores within a ten minute walk of where I live (including the wonderfully named Polish Shop Polish Price Emilia) which tells me that the community is continuing to thrive.

I don't have much to do with them but I've spoken with a few who live in the area and they are generally a pleasant bunch.  The reason why so many of them moved here instead of places where they have more in common culturally like, say, Germany is the exchange rate.  The Polish Zloty to Pound Sterling exchange rate is much more favourable to Polish people than the Polish Zloty to Euro exchange rate. Presumably they are sending money back home or saving up enough while here in order to be able to afford property when they move back to Poland so how much money they are removing from the UK economy compared to what they are contributing to it while they are here.  I'm guessing that a lot moved here with the intention of staying for five or ten years and then going back but have since decided to settle here on a more permanent basis, especially those who have had kids. 

• Like 1

The polish resettlement act after the war too, because they helped us out in the war and because of the ruskies we took in about 150k of them in the late 1940s

They did a bit more than "help" tbh, and got royally **** over at Yalta and then by the Russians for their troubles. 

The polish resettlement act after the war too, because they helped us out in the war and because of the ruskies we took in about 150k of them in the late 1940s

They did a bit more than "help" tbh, and got royally **** over at Yalta and then by the Russians for their troubles.

I didn't really want to go in to detail about what they did for us at monte cassino so just put helped...

Â