Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

B5GCX9-CYAAXfum.jpg

Be interested to know how the data was collected and the definition of spectator.

Is it Tv audience?

Is it attendance?

If it includes both I'd dispute the Eire result for starters

And does Rugby include both codes as one? As I find the Aussie result a tad perplexing too

B5GCX9-CYAAXfum.jpg

Be interested to know how the data was collected and the definition of spectator.

Is it Tv audience?

Is it attendance?

If it includes both I'd dispute the Eire result for starters

And does Rugby include both codes as one? As I find the Aussie result a tad perplexing too

In terms of actual attendance, marginally more people watch Gaelic Football then Football according to the most recent ESRI report on sport in Ireland (6.1% vs 5.5%), which is in itself a few years out of date (2009). Not bad all things considered.

Of course, in terms of participation, football comes out well on top. In TV viewership, only the largest GAA games (All Ireland Finals & Semi Finals) compare to the big Ireland WC & EC qualification games. When Ireland are actually in a tournament, or more likely are in a play off, they tend to be the most watched TV events of the year.

Edited by Corcaigh

I'm betting it's based on surveys where one is asked to name a single favorite sport.

If they went on attendance, then there's basically no way that you can pick American football over baseball. Major League Baseball's total attendance is 70 million or so. The NFL's total is somewhere around 17 million. Add in the NCAA FBS for American football, and you'd get on the order of (900 games times 30k average attendance; both factors are overestimates) 27 million more. ~30 million for the other three NCAA divisions/subdivisions and high school is farfetched (and you're not going to find reliable attendance figures for high school), and there's still minor league baseball to contend with. A similar point can be made with respect to South Koreans and baseball versus association football (baseball there has a better than 3:1 attendance advantage in aggregate and a 50% per-game advantage).

TV viewing figures for most of the countries listed aren't reliably available, so that can probably be ruled out immediately.

(sorry it's all one line... VT doesn't work right when you brute-force disable the snowflakes)

((though editing the post fixes that... weird))

(((sorry donnie)))

Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 4

It'll be which sports get the highest crowd figures for one event, maybe? I agree with bicks the Aussie one looks ropey.

If it's based on single event peak attendance, then various motorsports and horse racing should be on there. Data point: the highest attended American Football game would be about 110k +/- 5k (there are a few college teams with stadia of that capacity that sell out every game). The Kentucky Derby (horse racing) normally draws 150k to Churchill Downs. The Indy 500 usually draws about twice that.

In the UK, meanwhile, The Open Championship typically draws around 200k over multiple days; it's probably unrealistic to assume that much less than half of those are in attendance on the day with the largest attendance, which would exceed the attendance for any football match in the UK.

League and Aussie Rules are fairly close in popularity (Teh Grauniad has some figures): there are roughly equal populations on either side of the Barassi Line, after all. I wouldn't be that surprised to find that, in a favorite sport poll, it goes Aussie Rules, League, Association Football, Union (with Cricket being somewhere in there, too, of course).

It's also perhaps likely that it's a meta-study aggregating several different country-by-country reports, each using different methods. The lack of cites in the map may support that contention.

• Like 1

It'll be which sports get the highest crowd figures for one event, maybe? I agree with bicks the Aussie one looks ropey.

If it's based on single event peak attendance, then various motorsports and horse racing should be on there. Data point: the highest attended American Football game would be about 110k +/- 5k (there are a few college teams with stadia of that capacity that sell out every game). The Kentucky Derby (horse racing) normally draws 150k to Churchill Downs. The Indy 500 usually draws about twice that.

In the UK, meanwhile, The Open Championship typically draws around 200k over multiple days; it's probably unrealistic to assume that much less than half of those are in attendance on the day with the largest attendance, which would exceed the attendance for any football match in the UK.

League and Aussie Rules are fairly close in popularity (Teh Grauniad has some figures): there are roughly equal populations on either side of the Barassi Line, after all. I wouldn't be that surprised to find that, in a favorite sport poll, it goes Aussie Rules, League, Association Football, Union (with Cricket being somewhere in there, too, of course).

It's also perhaps likely that it's a meta-study aggregating several different country-by-country reports, each using different methods. The lack of cites in the map may support that contention.

League and Aussie Rules are probably pretty close to equal, with Aussie Rules slightly shading League, but in terms of average attendance (which i'm guessing might be a factor in this), it's not even close. Aussie Rules blows league out of the water.

I reckon you'll find that the average weekly TV viewership in that article for league is blown out by State of Origin. Each SoO game is popular all over the country and even dead rubber SoO games would have a much bigger TV viewership across the country than the NRL Grand Final. Take away State of Origin and i'd be very surprised to see League beating Aussie Rules in TV viewership.

• Like 1

I assume rugby is just rugby, and there isn't a country in the world where league is number 1

The People's Republic of Yorkshire might be one. It's ahead of Union there at least but behind football and cricket.

I assume rugby is just rugby, and there isn't a country in the world where league is number 1

The People's Republic of Yorkshire might be one. It's ahead of Union there at least but behind football and cricket.

Pretty much the same in the North West too

The stats would suggest that League is more popular than Union in.... Australia

• Like 2

Â