Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

B1O5-u8CcAEsE1S.jpg

2012 election result, if only white men's votes counted.

Amusingly, even if these were the only votes that counted, Mitt Romney would still have lost his home state.

Mercator maps make New England look really...sad, I guess is how I'd describe it?  Really any map that doesn't have curved latitude and longitude looks odd (I've always seen it projected further north, even though it's not).  Don't know if it's because road atlases are always done a different way, or if I'm just used to looking at a globe.

Sorry, completely off topic, but for some reason that really stood out when I looked at the map.  Carry on.

Edited by Houseoftomorrow
  • Like 3

B1O5-u8CcAEsE1S.jpg

Amusingly, even if these were the only votes that counted, Mitt Romney would still have lost his home state.

That is a very interesting, depressing map. Enough to make you think there really might be something wrong with white men.

B1O5-u8CcAEsE1S.jpg

That is a very interesting, depressing map. Enough to make you think there really might be something wrong with white men.

You should see the people we elect to Congress.   :(

Sorry, completely off topic, but for some reason that really stood out when I looked at the map.  Carry on.

I'm not sure that talking about maps in a thread about maps could be off topic. :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure that talking about maps in a thread about maps could be off topic. :)

Ha, true!  I meant the topic of the map itself.  But yeah, probably didn't need to type that.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

B1O5-u8CcAEsE1S.jpg

That is a very interesting, depressing map. Enough to make you think there really might be something wrong with white american men.

edited for my opinion

would obviously be very interesting if there was something comparable in the UK but i consider ourselves way ahead of the yanks in terms of tolerance

Edited by villa4europe

That's what I was thinking.

Surely it just shows that white and non-white people in america have vastly different voting patterns?

If you did a map which only included non-white votes, it would probably be all blue wouldn't it?

Edited by Stevo985

i must have read that different then because i read it as if only white men were allowed to vote then the black man wouldn't have won the election...

maybe im not looking deep enough in to what policies the republicans have that resonate so strongly with that demographic

and that stevo was kind of my point, i dont think that divide is anywhere near as strong in the UK but we cant compare because it hasn't happened here yet but i dont think we'd get similar results

i must have read that different then because i read it as if only white men were allowed to vote then the black man wouldn't have won the election...

maybe im not looking deep enough in to what policies the republicans have that resonate so strongly with that demographic

and that stevo was kind of my point, i dont think that divide is anywhere near as strong in the UK but we cant compare because it hasn't happened here yet but i dont think we'd get similar results

The map would have been pretty similar for the white Democrat before the black guy I'd imagine. You were looking too deeply. The map says white American man tends to vote Republican, thats it

• Like 1

The map would have been pretty similar for the white Democrat before the black guy I'd imagine. You were looking too deeply. The map says white American man tends to vote Republican, thats it

Also, it only shows the electoral votes, which don't paint the whole picture.  Yes, it certainly shows a trend, but very few states actually split their electoral votes.  Example: if Tennessee votes Republican by one vote, all the electoral votes go to the Republicans.

So, the map shows that 7% of the electoral college votes would've gone to Barrack, yet 39% of the votes made by white males were for Obama.  Yeah, it's still not a high percentage, but it's also the same percentage that Bill Clinton received in 1992.

• Like 1

Â