Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

It'll be which sports get the highest crowd figures for one event, maybe? I agree with bicks the Aussie one looks ropey.

Really? Aussie Rules wins here pretty comfortably as most popular sport either by tv viewing or match attendance figures. Soccer is the most popular in terms of participation.

Nope, it doesn't more people watch RL than AFL on TV. Average Australian weekly viewing figures:-

AFL

519,975*

* denotes shown on free-to-air

Association Football

League

590,145*

* denotes shown on free-to-air

Union

82,246**

** only includes Australian teams

Source: The Guardian (Whole article well worth a look)

Who used data via OzTAM & Regional TAM, 25/2/14, 5 City Metro + Combined Agg, Total People, AUD

Again, these figures would include the three State of Origin games, which are watched by everyone with a television in Australia, even if they have absolutely no interest in League.

If you're only talking about NRL games, the AFL would be ahead week to week.

Not to mention that more than 100,000 people per week are actually attending AFL games live compared to the NRL.

Yep, although I can't load that Guardian article, those figures are contrary to all the others I can find.

TV audiences...

5488-footballs.JPG

On top of this, AFL brings in more revenue and has far higher live attendance.

The figures Bickster quotes appear not to include Pay TV, which is... odd.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Manchester, liverpool, birmingham and london combined pop is more than half of the uk. Would never have believed it.

Its not.

London 13.5m

West Mids 2.5m

Greater Manc 2.5m

Merseyside 2.2m

Roughly 21.0m

UK population 63.0m

There's at least 10m missing

The blue bit of the map also includes west and south Yorkshire (Leeds/Bradford/Sheffield) the big cities in the East Midlands (Derby/Nottingham/Sheffield) and the urban but non metropolitan county areas surrounding Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester.  I guess if you make a rough triangle of the land intersected by the M1, M6 & M62 and attach that to the circle made by the M25 and you do have almost half the country covered. 

The blue bit of the map also includes west and south Yorkshire (Leeds/Bradford/Sheffield) the big cities in the East Midlands (Derby/Nottingham/Sheffield) and the urban but non metropolitan county areas surrounding Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester.  I guess if you make a rough triangle of the land intersected by the M1, M6 & M62 and attach that to the circle made by the M25 and you do have almost half the country covered.

That was kinda my point but with maths :mrgreen:

It also seems to have Watford / Luton / Milton Keynes

I was thinking of asking if anyone knew why for all those places, I know japan is mountainous so cities are restricted and the blue is pretty much the 3 historical capitals and everything in between, canada I'm gussing is the mountains / weather in the north and that's the old british / French cities, oz is the old colony and no one in the middle, Germany is the Rhineland but I wasn't sure about east to west migration after the war which hasn't balanced, NZ, SA and the Philippines I don't know

New Zealand only has a population of about 4m, well over a quarter of which live in Auckland. I guess its close proximity to Australia attracts business and work, plus it's going to be warmer up north I think. The Maori population traditionally live in the North Island as well I believe.

If you limited yourself to constructing by states, this should be the smallest land area which gets you over 50% of the US population:

2PUohdF.png

(doing it by county would be more interesting, but I can't be arsed)

Â