Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

26 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I shall pass no judgement, as cousin marriages are still legal in Norway. 

They are highly unusual and not generally socially accepted, however, and I would bet good money they are almost exclusively found among immigrant groups. 

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

Awits the influx of posters that will tell you that no circle can be perfect if Paris is the centre :mrgreen:

Are you sure that’s posters plural and not just Tony repeating himself? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

@BOF is also something of a Francophobe. 

Handball related, no? 😂

To be fair, I’ve just spent three hours at Charles de Gaulle and I’m starting to feel a bit francophobic myself. 

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Handball related, no? 😂

To be fair, I’ve just spent three hours at Charles de Gaulle and I’m starting to feel a bit francophobic myself. 

Off topic but CDG airport is the most confusing airport I've ever been to. I must have followed the signs to the RER for an hour before I gave up and took a taxi. 

I went to two info desks who both gave me the gallic shrug. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Off topic but CDG airport is the most confusing airport I've ever been to. I must have followed the signs to the RER for an hour before I gave up and took a taxi. 

It depends what terminal you are at. T1 and most of T2 is easy though there is that odd bit of T2 away from the rest plus T3 where you have to get the shuttle bus to the station

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

@BOF is also something of a Francophobe. 

I wouldn't go quite that far. I'll say I'm a 'phobe' of the experiences I had over there and of plenty of the people I encountered while there. But I've nothing inherently against decent French people. But those experiences have inevitably resulted in me never wanting to waste a holiday by going there again. No problem with French people by default.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I wouldn't go quite that far. I'll say I'm a 'phobe' of the experiences I had over there and of plenty of the people I encountered while there. But I've nothing inherently against decent French people. But those experiences have inevitably resulted in me never wanting to waste a holiday by going there again. No problem with French people by default.

It's a shame when that happens. My experiences with French folks have been 95% positive (the odd 5% can, and does, happen anywhere). 

It's a cliche, but the food in France is awesome. While I was there in 2010 even a chicken sandwich I got from a street vendor was the best I've ever had and remains so.

I was in the Basque region though so......

On 15/01/2023 at 11:26, AVFC_Hitz said:

I once missed a flight back to the US there partly because I couldn’t figure out where to get off the bus.  And partly because I hadn’t realized it was Bastille Day and the bus from Montparnasse would take twice as long since it had to dodge a lot of military vehicles out proudly demonstrating the speed of their reverse gear.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I once missed a flight back to the US there partly because I couldn’t figure out where to get off the bus.  And partly because I hadn’t realized it was Bastille Day and the bus from Montparnasse would take twice as long since it had to dodge a lot of military vehicles out proudly demonstrating the speed of their reverse gear.

I flew to Sofia from Manchester (might have been Heathrow) a few years ago and had to connect via CDG. I had just over an hour to make the connection and only just got there in time as the connecting bus did a tour of the airport.

My luggage arrived two days later having missed the flight. 

Awful airport. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Northernmost part of Brazil is closer to Canada than it is to the Southernmost part of Brazil. 

It also appears that the Easternmost part of Brazil is closer to Africa than it is to the Westernmost part of Brazil.

• Like 2

Â