Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

My dad's only holiday abroad was to Ireland when he was very young, in the late 50s/very early 60s, they had a 'touring' holiday around the whole of the country. He described vividly remembering a bus journey where every time they came to a crossroad the driver blessed himself (though it's not clear if that was a religious thing or him thinking he needed every bit help he could get to get through a crossroad), and the entire country basically being completely shut on a Sunday.

I suspect that kind of thing, coupled with the religious elements of the Troubles, has made a certain generation of the UK think Ireland is filled with godbotherers, but the reality seems to be that it's a pretty progressive country now and making strides to codify that into law with things like the abortion legislation. The Church being revealed to be full of words removed probably helped.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BOF said:

Funny thing is the outside perception of us is still probably 20 years out of date. We've gone so far the other way now it's remarkable. We're aggressively anti-religion what with all the kiddy fiddling and mass baby graves and various horrendous scandals here that have been centered around the church. 

Oh, I know. I still think it's a pretty remarkable (and encouraging) turnaround in a relatively short time. 

27 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

This is much less impressive when you read its a man made lake that was built to resemble Finland. 

Well, that’s my day ruined. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â