Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You have to question the definition of 'castle' here. The French routinely use 'chateau' and the Germans 'Schloss' to describe what we would probably call a 'stately home'. If we're talking about the true, mediaeval 'fighting castle', England and Wales would be right up there. 

Which, let’s be honest, as someone who was well into that stuff as a kid, are the true, proper castles. None of that posh stuff, just hardcore mediaeval brutality. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

You have to question the definition of 'castle' here. The French routinely use 'chateau' and the Germans 'Schloss' to describe what we would probably call a 'stately home'. If we're talking about the true, mediaeval 'fighting castle', England and Wales would be right up there. 

I was thinking that. I mean Wales is a country deliberately dominated by Castles plus had a few of its own already.

The origin of the castle map suggests the data may be incomplete.

I’m also curious as to how intact a castle has to be in order to still qualify as a “castle”. Does Bridgnorth Castle still count, despite the Roundheads leaving it in such a state that a fair game of Hungry Hippos is rendered impossible?

39 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The origin of the castle map suggests the data may be incomplete.

I’m also curious as to how intact a castle has to be in order to still qualify as a “castle”. Does Bridgnorth Castle still count, despite the Roundheads leaving it in such a state that a fair game of Hungry Hippos is rendered impossible?

I would imagine the answer to that is yes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

42-EAFB25-088-A-4-D07-98-F3-E28-EABC8-C9

I immediately understood that this was a quirky time difference thing, but I regrettably spent more than one minute looking at this trying to work out how the hell it would be possible for it to be Monday 12th on one island and Sunday 15th on the other island.

Then I read it again.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I immediately understood that this was a quirky time difference thing, but I regrettably spent more than one minute looking at this trying to work out how the hell it would be possible for it to be Monday 12th on one island and Sunday 15th on the other island.

Then I read it again.

Could you explain please? I don't understand what 12h and 15h mean. Is it meant to be the time? If so, why are they not one day apart?

7 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Could you explain please? I don't understand what 12h and 15h mean. Is it meant to be the time? If so, why are they not one day apart?

When it’s midday on the Russian island it’s 3pm the day before on the Alaskan island I.e. 17 hours behind. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

As above, the one island officially falls under Russian time, the other Alaskan time. Which is seemingly 21 hours apart.

Edit - so yeah, 12h is 12pm (Monday lunchtime), 15h is Sunday 3pm.

Basically it’s as if the two islands were much closer to the two respective mainlands.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Ta, makes sense. I just assumed they'd be a day apart.

The date line shouldn't run through the islands but it does, the time zones are really messed up by politics around the northern Pacific Rim. I think they should both be be in GMT -11 but the Russian Island is in GMT +12 and the Alaskan Islan is in GMT -9

• Thanks 1

Â