Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z3ppm39#xtor=CS8-1000-[Frontpage_Billboard]-[Sport_Billboard]-[Sport_Billboard]-[PS_BITESIZE~N~z3ppm39~A_TheMindBlowingMapQuiz]

We all know that the Earth is round, not flat. But our maps are flat.

If you can remove all the peel from an orange in one go (an impressive task in itself), try to lay it out flat like a piece of paper. You’re likely to have problems as it just wants to bend. That’s the exact challenge facing map makers. How do you draw something like a sphere on a rectangle?

Interesting BBC quiz that exposes some of the weird lies our maps tell.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It’s annoyed me already before I even click the link. Of course maps are f***ing flat otherwise it would be a bloody globe or something and describing the Earth as round is slightly irksome too

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It’s annoyed me already before I even click the link. Of course maps are f***ing flat otherwise it would be a bloody globe or something and describing the Earth as round is slightly irksome too

And that's it's point, it's a thing that shows why we should be annoyed that people don't understand that maps are flat.

20 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Stupid quiz. Didn't want to do well in it anyway.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Stupid quiz. Didn't want to do well in it anyway.

I particularly liked the New York to Tokyo question about the last state you fly over, that neglects to mention by the shortest route. You can go any sodding way you want to as long as you have the fuel to do it :D 

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

I particularly liked the New York to Tokyo question about the last state you fly over, that neglects to mention by the shortest route. You can go any sodding way you want to as long as you have the fuel to do it :D 

That's one of the few I got right !

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

And that's it's point, it's a thing that shows why we should be annoyed that people don't understand that maps are flat.

Appropriately this is referred to as 'projection'. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bickster said:

They assume we're not filthy rich like you and have to fly commercial.

• Haha 1

Â