Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

On 21/05/2022 at 21:27, TheAuthority said:

I lived in 2 places in Manhattan and it looks like this photo was taken in 1931 according to a google search.

The 1st place I lived was on 96th & Amsterdam and was built in 1927 so yes it should be there! The 2nd placed I lived was built in 1910 so that should definitely be there too.

You can see how Broadway cuts diagonally and then begins to run perpendicular to Amsterdam at 79th street. I basically gauge where my 1st place was in relation to the Jackie Onasis Reservoir. It's too hard to see which cross streets are "double wide" on that photo. (72nd, 79th, 86th, 96th, 106th, & 110th are all "Double Wides" on the Upper West Side.)

ccd8293e41c91a57b51abd73bc826a7d669e59ac

Such a crazy beautiful place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Miss it a lot sometimes. But now with my 2nd kid due this Sunday the move was a good one for the family - Back gardens are a must!

Are you still in the state or somewhere else completely?

All the best for the weekend! Hope everything goes smoothly! 

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Are you still in the state or somewhere else completely?

All the best for the weekend! Hope everything goes smoothly! 

Cheers!

Moved to Denver, CO August of 20. Mountains and a little easier pace of life.

Having no family nearby and raising kids in Manhattan is a slog. I commend people that commit to doing it but we would have been miserable after a few years. Just running around to pay for childcare, then navigating the New York City public school system is an art form in itself.

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

World Cup venues, 2026

spacer.png

I'm eagerly awaiting ticket information.   I saw a bunch of games in '94, including US v. Brazil and the amazing QF between Sweden and Romania.   The San Francisco venue is 15 minutes from my home and my son will be in Vancouver, so I'm aiming to see matches in 2 locations.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I'm eagerly awaiting ticket information.   I saw a bunch of games in '94, including US v. Brazil and the amazing QF between Sweden and Romania.   The San Francisco venue is 15 minutes from my home and my son will be in Vancouver, so I'm aiming to see matches in 2 locations.

I'm planning to take my nipper to as much as possible who will be 6.

I'm annoyed that Denver missed out for Kansas which is a dust bowl in comparison.

Cheeky request for a spare room Morten? ;) (I can't imagine the price of San Fran hotels in 2026 during the world cup! 😵)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm planning to take my nipper to as much as possible who will be 6.

I'm annoyed that Denver missed out for Kansas which is a dust bowl in comparison.

Cheeky request for a spare room Morten? ;) (I can't imagine the price of San Fran hotels in 2026 during the world cup! 😵)

We can discuss when we get tickets🤞

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Cant get my head around this one, and not just Denver. Of the bidders, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh,  Phoenix (indoor), Nashville and Baltimore are surely better as cities and venues in every way?

No way they would have gotten a sniff without the Mahomes factor.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Almost.  Properties put up for sale on the day Russia invaded Ukraine..........allegedly. 

Actually, it’s a little more than that. It’s houses that were put up for sale in Crimea just before Russia invaded Ukraine, all of which were owned by staff of the FSB

5 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

And we know this how? I probably saw the same twitter as you did.

I didn't see it on twitter. I'm saying that’s what it is meant to be showing, not that it is. This is the map thread not the War thread

Â