The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He's not a manager at all, just a spoofer. He got some time to pretend he's a manager at Spurs and Villa two of the biggest clubs in England which is a testament to the amount of nonsense he's able to spout.

• Like 4

I was hoping that when Sherwood left if would be because of a takeover. Not sure who we can attract to replace him, with Lerner still here and presumably very little money to spend in the transfer window.

I know that there are still those out there that feel Sherwood should be given more time - I'm curious as to what results over the next few games would convert them to the Sherwood Out camp?  We have Chelsea, Swansea, Spurs, MC and Everton coming up. In the best of all possible world i can see 3 points from that run of games but in all honesty I doubt we will get any. Would 7 points from 13 games, for example be enough to continue to persevere in your opinion?

Hi. As I'm one I'll give you my view.

13 games is a third of a season, certainly a more reasonable time to judge than presently.

I would have judged him a relative success on more than just results, but in terms purely of points I'd want 17.

On that basis, he needs 13 points. However given the bad start it would be now mean a more unreasonable 13 from 5, top 4 form. So, as long as other aspects improved, I'd accept 7-8 points and a third way tally of  12-13, or 4 less than I originally would have wanted.

So 2 wins and 1 or 2 draws from the fixtures you said, plus signs of a more settled and positive stlye of play.

If that don't happen, I'll likely join the " out" camp....which by then maybe already got its way !

There's no doubting that Sherwood has made mistakes and appears to have no idea how to put out a winning side right now but, there's no way that he will take all of the blame if he's voiced concerns about the transfer policy in the summer. To a certain extent, one could feel sorry for him. But, how many of last season's players, that he worked with, were his actual choices? None! He could leave Villa today and join any team in the world tomorrow and none of the player's would be his choices. The clue is in the job title - manager. That's his job, to manage those players in a way that we get the best out of them as a collective, a team. If he continues to show that he is unable to do that - and let's face it, he has done himself no favours by openly saying he has no idea what his best eleven is - he will struggle to find another management position if he fails to turn things around at Villa.

I think that the level of abuse and criticism that Sherwood is getting is sooner into his reign than I would ever have thought. I am not sure if it is totally merited but, with losing your best players in the summer and replacing them with unknown quantities, together with no apparent vision of where we are going - other than to the bottom of the league - I guess it is understandable that the natives are going to start getting restless. He knew what the owner and job was about when he took over. He was aware of what to expect so he can't really expect too much sympathy from the footballing community. It does beg the question of who will want to join the club once he's gone though!

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

Odds on favorite for the Sunderland job, some reports suggesting he's going there until the end of the season. I just hope we don't end up with Nigel Pearson.

Foreign coach with new ideas please.

Save that for when we're a boring midtable team. Too risky

• Like 3

Odds on favorite for the Sunderland job, some reports suggesting he's going there until the end of the season. I just hope we don't end up with Nigel Pearson.

I'd prefer a foreign coach than another typical British manager, as well. If we go down that route, it'll just feel like we're going in circles. Maybe Rodgers would be a good balance between the two.

• Like 1

I agree. It's time we broke the cycle of British managers/coaches and admit it hasn't worked for us. 

Big Sam would be my choice.

However if the club went the foreign route and appointed a very good foreign manager I wouldn't be against it, that also might just work out albeit with a bit more risk attached to it.

What I don't want is another inexperienced (hasn't managed at a similar level to the PL abroad or higher) manager/chancer though - Foreign or British.

Watford went for an experienced Spanish manager and are doing quite well with a poorer team (on paper). Although, they'll likely struggle as promoted teams usually do when the grind sets in. So, yeah. Going for a foreign manager with fresh ideas would be nice but only if they have experience at a decent level.

Choosing a manager is always a gamble, and I don't think it matters where they are from; what matters is experience & ability to deal with pressure.

• Like 2

I think that the level of abuse and criticism that Sherwood is getting is sooner into his reign than I would ever have thought. I am not sure if it is totally merited but, with losing your best players in the summer and replacing them with unknown quantities, together with no apparent vision of where we are going - other than to the bottom of the league - I guess it is understandable that the natives are going to start getting restless. He knew what the owner and job was about when he took over. He was aware of what to expect so he can't really expect too much sympathy from the footballing community. It does beg the question of who will want to join the club once he's gone though!

The fact that you're "not sure" is the most depressing thing I've read today. When is "abuse" merited? It's a sad mark on the "community," whatever the fugg that is.

Everything is risky right now!  Let's at least enjoy someone who wants to play progressive football rather have Big Sam/Tony Pulis/<generic tough-Brit here> involved.

• Like 1

I'd prefer a foreign coach than another typical British manager, as well. If we go down that route, it'll just feel like we're going in circles. Maybe Rodgers would be a good balance between the two.

I have a hunch that Rodgers wouldn't jump into this job though. I may be wrong, but I wonder whether he wants to sit back and reassess for while, try to understand what went wrong at Liverpool, licks his wounds, etc?

Â