The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

There are a few British managers that I wouldn't mind but on the whole, it can't be denied that most of them are totally reactionary and years behind the curve. I'm not sure that the notion that foreign appointments are inherently more 'risky' - although understandable in theory - has much de facto grouding.

• Like 2

Odds on favorite for the Sunderland job, some reports suggesting he's going there until the end of the season. I just hope we don't end up with Nigel Pearson.

Foreign coach with new ideas please.

Save that for when we're a boring midtable team. Too risky

I understand this point of view, but with the amount of foreign players bought in during the summer transfer window maybe a foreign manager wouldn't be such a bad idea? Also, changing from a British to Foreign manager mid season didn't hurt Southampton, although at the time I thought that appointment was the final nail in their coffin. Also the last three managers we have had have all been British and that hasn't helped our performance at all, maybe a time to change things around and think outside the box.

• Like 1

Odds on favorite for the Sunderland job, some reports suggesting he's going there until the end of the season. I just hope we don't end up with Nigel Pearson.

I agree. It's time we broke the cycle of British managers/coaches and admit it hasn't worked for us. 

I'm swaying more in this direction. Not sure why its not worth a shot.

I'd prefer a foreign coach than another typical British manager, as well. If we go down that route, it'll just feel like we're going in circles. Maybe Rodgers would be a good balance between the two.

I have a hunch that Rodgers wouldn't jump into this job though. I may be wrong, but I wonder whether he wants to sit back and reassess for while, try to understand what went wrong at Liverpool, licks his wounds, etc?

Even if he did want to get straight back into football, we'd might find it hard to attract him to the club at the moment anyway, in terms of where are at the moment, the club being for sale and we'd probably have to make him our highest paid Manager of all time.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

The 'greatest manager' in this context is the one that's the surest bet.  The safest pair of hands in a rocky sea.  Which means British; or rather a manager with a proven track record in this league.  At this point in time I'll take Fat Sam please.  Although I'm beginning to wonder whether the likes of him would want to come here.

• Like 1

The two things that worry me most about Rodgers are:

1. He did some of the same things at Liverpool that we're reviling in Sherwood. He became a big tinkerer. (But so was Van Gaal! It takes time.)
  2. He's got to be hurting right now. Do you want to start dating someone just dumped by his last partner? 

The 'greatest manager' in this context is the one that's the surest bet.  The safest pair of hands in a rocky sea.  Which means British; or rather a manager with a proven track record in this league.  At this point in time I'll take Fat Sam please.  Although I'm beginning to wonder whether the likes of him would want to come here.

Fair enough. Yeah, I'm not sure he'd have us. Where would our football director fit with someone like Sam?

Watford went for an experienced Spanish manager and are doing quite well with a poorer team (on paper). Although, they'll likely struggle as promoted teams usually do when the grind sets in. So, yeah. Going for a foreign manager with fresh ideas would be nice but only if they have experience at a decent level.

Choosing a manager is always a gamble, and I don't think it matters where they are from; what matters is experience & ability to deal with pressure.

Fair point.

Sunderland fans are convinced that they're getting Allardyce, seems like it's going to happen.. I say we go for Biesla try something completely different.

Edited by useless

Almstadt must have a few interesting names in his database, maybe a few outsiders who were considered as eventual replacement for Wenger. I think I'm right in saying that most of summer signings were at one point linked with Arsneal.

Almstadt must have a few interesting names in his database, maybe a few outsiders who were considered as eventual replacement for Wenger. I think I'm right in saying that most of summer signings were at one point linked with Arsneal.

Remi Garde perhaps. 

• Like 4

Does Big Sam have a track record in keeping struggling clubs up?  Just wondering.  I know he did well with Bolton (completely coincided with signing Kevin "thug" Davies) but was he brought in when they were struggling?

I'd prefer a foreign coach than another typical British manager, as well. If we go down that route, it'll just feel like we're going in circles. Maybe Rodgers would be a good balance between the two.

We haven't had a "typical" british manager since Martin O'Neill. We've had shit ones.

Everything is risky right now!  Let's at least enjoy someone who wants to play progressive football rather have Big Sam/Tony Pulis/<generic tough-Brit here> involved.

Buzz words.

I'll enjoy boring results which get us upto the haven of midtable. 
I'd rather that than gamble on someone "progressive" who gets us relegated.

• Like 4

Does Big Sam have a track record in keeping struggling clubs up?  Just wondering.  I know he did well with Bolton (completely coincided with signing Kevin "thug" Davies) but was he brought in when they were struggling?

With Bolton IIRC he brought them up and kept them up each season with consummate ease.  They were basically never seriously in relegation trouble.  West Ham brought him in to steady their ship and again he did that with ease too.  Bolton sunk without a trace once he left and West Ham used him as a springboard to better things (so far anyway).  Either way, he himself AFAICS has an unblemished record.  He can be like our Red Adair.

I understand this point of view, but with the amount of foreign players bought in during the summer transfer window maybe a foreign manager wouldn't be such a bad idea? Also, changing from a British to Foreign manager mid season didn't hurt Southampton, although at the time I thought that appointment was the final nail in their coffin. Also the last three managers we have had have all been British and that hasn't helped our performance at all, maybe a time to change things around and think outside the box.

The sooner we stop the expectation that the next manager should be someone to lead us for decades, the better.

We need to take much smaller steps and look shorter term with appointments. 

The short term goal of this club should be to re-establish ourselves as a premier league team. Not a shit team scrambling around to survive every year. 
If a foreign coach fits the spec of a manager who can do that then obviously I'm fine with it.

But we're not in a position to be gambling on the next big thing from the continent, imo. It's all well and good saying we want "attractive" or "progressive" football, but I couldn't give a shit what we look like when we play. At this stage I want results that keep us in the league.

We don't NEED the next big thing. Continuously searching for that is why we're appoint unproven chancers like Sherwood. What we need is experience and proven ability to make a team play well relatively consistently. If it means we're boring for a season or two then so be it. I'd much rathe rbe borign and safe to give us somewhere to build from than attractive and relegated.

• Like 4

I think there is a happy medium, by and large managing Villa can be a pretty thankless task even if we get to mid-table, so ideally we could do with someone who can develop a team as well as keep us up.  Moyes is my first choice, he has had relegation battles as well as European runs on varying budgets, and has at least tried to broaden his knowledge by working in Spain.

Â