The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

There are a few British managers that I wouldn't mind but on the whole, it can't be denied that most of them are totally reactionary and years behind the curve. I'm not sure that the notion that foreign appointments are inherently more 'risky' - although understandable in theory - has much de facto grouding.

Spot on. Reactionary is the word that sums up Lerner's reign post MON. We need to be proactive and choose a manager that is suitable for our current squad, set-up and future aspirations. The best British candidates would be David Moyes or Brendan Rodgers. 

• Like 1

I think employing Rodgers, at this stage, could be a disaster.

I actually think Rodgers is a very good manager. But he has a philosophy with his teams that is about as far away from Aston Villa's style as you can get.

I think trying to change the way we play to suit that at this stage could be very unforgiving. A bit like when Houllier tried something similar and it went a bit down the pan.

I think he'd be a good option if we were employing a manager at the end of the season. but to come in and use what we've got, I'm not so sure.

• Like 2

. Continuously searching for that is why we're appoint unproven chancers like Sherwood. What we need is experience and proven ability to make a team play well relatively consistently. If it means we're boring for a season or two then so be it. I'd much rathe rbe borign and safe to give us somewhere to build from than attractive and relegated.

In fairness, whilst I like the rest of your post, it has only been Lambert and Sherwood that have fit this bill. Unless we count McLeish as up and coming.

Houllier had a longer term strategy for sure, but that was at a different time and a different club.

• Like 1

I'm not entirely convinced by the has to be british argument, look at Ranieri at Leicester. Flores at Watford too. There are managers with a good record, in Serie A, the Bundesliga and Spain which we should be running the rule over AS WELL as british managers. The only obvious british candidates are Sam, Rodgers and Moyes. Moyes won't come and it could be too soon for Rodgers, he could want some time to lick his wounds first. 

our failings seem to me to be the sort of thing a good italian or german coach would sort out. defensive organisation, possession of the football for example we have difficulty with it seems. some decent movement up top would go a miss either. 

i don't really think it's that much of a gamble.

Absolutely agree that we need an experienced manager. Allardyce would be just that. But I also think that an experienced manager, that has proven himself in another league would be a good call.

Although I expect the team making the decisions here wont make good calls, based on previous experience.

• Like 1

. Continuously searching for that is why we're appoint unproven chancers like Sherwood. What we need is experience and proven ability to make a team play well relatively consistently. If it means we're boring for a season or two then so be it. I'd much rathe rbe borign and safe to give us somewhere to build from than attractive and relegated.

In fairness, whilst I like the rest of your post, it has only been Lambert and Sherwood that have fit this bill. Unless we count McLeish as up and coming.

Houllier had a longer term strategy for sure, but that was at a different time and a different club.

I agree. I'm not saying we've always done that. I'm saying that our position now dictates, imo, that we should be looking for a safe pair of hands rather than an unproven manager who MIGHT turn out to be the next Mourinho and win us the league, but will more than likely be the next ole Gunnar Solksjaer and do the square root of **** all.

McLeish wasn't up and coming. but he was (and is) a terrible manager. Not hiring an up and coming manager doesn't mean we should hire just anyone who has experience. I'd still like it to be somebody good :D

• Like 1

I'm not entirely convinced by the has to be british argument, look at Ranieri at Leicester. Flores at Watford too. There are managers with a good record, in Serie A, the Bundesliga and Spain which we should be running the rule over AS WELL as british managers. The only obvious british candidates are Sam, Rodgers and Moyes. Moyes won't come and it could be too soon for Rodgers, he could want some time to lick his wounds first. 

our failings seem to me to be the sort of thing a good italian or german coach would sort out. defensive organisation, possession of the football for example we have difficulty with it seems. some decent movement up top would go a miss either. 

I don't think anybody has said it needs to be British. 

Certainly what I've said is it needs to be somebody proven. It just so happens that the man I would choose is British.

Certainly what I've said is it needs to be somebody proven. It just so happens that the man I would choose is British.

There's been a few posts about getting someone with prem experience. I don't think it's necessary, Montella would be awesome with our current group IMHO.

There's been a few posts about getting someone with prem experience. I don't think it's necessary, Montella would be awesome with our current group IMHO.

Fair enough. No I don't think it needs to be British either. But I'm not sure there would be too many foreigners with the experience we need who'd be willing to come here.

I actually think Rodgers is a very good manager. But he has a philosophy with his teams that is about as far away from Aston Villa's style as you can get.

I think trying to change the way we play to suit that at this stage could be very unforgiving. A bit like when Houllier tried something similar and it went a bit down the pan.

I think he'd be a good option if we were employing a manager at the end of the season. but to come in and use what we've got, I'm not so sure.

I think difference now is the team then had big personalities. No Dunne, Collins, Carew characters in the squad now. We have a younger squad now who would buy into it a lot quicker

I think difference now is the team then had big personalities. No Dunne, Collins, Carew characters in the squad now. We have a younger squad now who would buy into it a lot quicker

It's more the ability to play that way than the buying into it that i'd be worried about. I agree that the team might buy into it. I'm just not sure we have the players to cope with it.

In terms of British Managers you've got Allardyce (gong to Sunderland), Moyes (already has a job) and then beyond those two I can't think of anyone else who might be considered a 'safe pair of hands'.

Odds on favorite for the Sunderland job, some reports suggesting he's going there until the end of the season. I just hope we don't end up with Nigel Pearson.

Foreign coach with new ideas please.

Save that for when we're a boring midtable team. Too risky

Everything is risky right now!  Let's at least enjoy someone who wants to play progressive football rather have Big Sam/Tony Pulis/<generic tough-Brit here> involved.

Buzz words.

I'll enjoy boring results which get us upto the haven of midtable. 
I'd rather that than gamble on someone "progressive" who gets us relegated.

Each to their own.

I'd rather we go down playing nice football and have a platform to come back up on than watch turgid shit each week that manages to get us into 14th.

Obviously, with the new TV money, this season is "more important" than before.  But, then, that money is only going to grow season on season?

It virtualy took a whole season to adapt properly to Houlliers way of playing ( looked like we were getting the hang of it by the end ), I don't think Rodgers would be a good choice at all for being in charge of Villa especially the way he likes to play.

In terms of British Managers you've got Allardyce (gong to Sunderland), Moyes (already has a job) and then beyond those two I can't think of anyone else who might be considered a 'safe pair of hands'.

'Arry, innit.

• Like 1

I really don't think the players are the problem. 

We forget also that we have massive financial clout when compared to other clubs in Europe, certainly those with similar records over the past 4 or 5 years. We can pay someone very hansomely, I mentioned Montella, he isn't an experienced old head but he's **** good and has managed 200+ games in Serie A already. His Fiorentina played some very nice football at times too.

There must be spanish, german league equivalents to Montella that I am too ignorant to name too :) 

Obviously I'm not saying lets get Ancelotti (although I would possibly die of sex wee dehydration if that happened) as I'm more realistic than that, but someone who has reached an obstacle in there own country and coudl do with some experience in the prem to up their profile and if successfull guarantee them a shot at a top job at home. There must be a few out there surely...

Â