The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Yep as BOF said less than the sum of it's parts at the moment. The thing I don't understand is this going back in to his shell, he obviously can't organise us well enough even with double training to concentrate, stay compact and play on the counter for 90 mins, so why try?!

He was all about making chances and scoring goals, we had something like 50 shots in 2 games early in the season, we need to be getting back to that kind of spirit in order to get points, we need to score a couple at least to win, and one at least to draw it seems so crippling our attack and giving 2/3rds of the pitch away isn't going to help.

--------------- Guzan ---------------

Hutton--Richards--Clark--Amavi

---------Sanchez---Gana-----------

--Traore-------Gil-------Grealish--

----------------Ayew------------------

and tell the front four to swap around play close to each other and shoot on sight! That side should be able to keep the ball as well, even doing that better is going to help our defenders as if we've got it upfield they aren't in danger.

I really think this team is potentially a lot better than what we've had the last 2 or 3 years, I'm pretty sure we're underperforming and I'm not sure Tim knows what to do about it.

• Like 2

Yep as BOF said less than the sum of it's parts at the moment. The thing I don't understand is this going back in to his shell, he obviously can't organise us well enough even with double training to concentrate, stay compact and play on the counter for 90 mins, so why try?!

He was all about making chances and scoring goals, we had something like 50 shots in 2 games early in the season, we need to be getting back to that kind of spirit in order to get points, we need to score a couple at least to win, and one at least to draw it seems so crippling our attack and giving 2/3rds of the pitch away isn't going to help.

and tell the front four to swap around play close to each other and shoot on sight! That side should be able to keep the ball as well, even doing that better is going to help our defenders as if we've got it upfield they aren't in danger.

I really think this team is potentially a lot better than what we've had the last 2 or 3 years, I'm pretty sure we're underperforming and I'm not sure Tim knows what to do about it.

That's pretty much how I would line up, other than playing Veretout instead of Traore. You never know Tim might pull those names and that formation out of the hat next week.. or he might pull out a 343.. or it could be just about anything really..

• Like 2

game to game so far

Bournemouth- poor performance but won with a goal from a sub(Tim doesnt make good subs)

Man Utd- poor game from both sides nothing in it but a deflected goal. could have a had a penalty

Palace - not a great performance but enough for a draw big impact from a sub(again!) but hashup from Amavi and Guzan cost us

Notts County - experimental team but got job done over 120 minutes

Sunderland - best performance of season we battered them and should have won only for poor defending by Clark and our lack of cutting edge

Leicester - definite Tim error on this no question though 2 of defenders having brainfarts didnt help things

West Brom - poor performance though goal disallowed very harshly could have changed entire outlook

Birmingham - poor 1st half but good subs(really :O) at half time changed the game in our favour

Liverpool - not as bad as people made out, we gave them too much respect and ran into a top striker on form. Did OK to get back into it and had many chances to get a draw

Stoke - lacked a cutting edge from both teams if honest and denied 2 penalties and Richards missed a sitter

granted not a great start but all them games could have swung either way

• Like 3

game to game so far

Bournemouth- poor performance but won with a goal from a sub(Tim doesnt make good subs)

Man Utd- poor game from both sides nothing in it but a deflected goal. could have a had a penalty

Palace - not a great performance but enough for a draw big impact from a sub(again!) but hashup from Amavi and Guzan cost us

Notts County - experimental team but got job done over 120 minutes

Sunderland - best performance of season we battered them and should have won only for poor defending by Clark and our lack of cutting edge

Leicester - definite Tim error on this no question though 2 of defenders having brainfarts didnt help things

West Brom - poor performance though goal disallowed very harshly could have changed entire outlook

Birmingham - poor 1st half but good subs(really :O) at half time changed the game in our favour

Liverpool - not as bad as people made out, we gave them too much respect and ran into a top striker on form. Did OK to get back into it and had many chances to get a draw

Stoke - lacked a cutting edge from both teams if honest and denied 2 penalties and Richards missed a sitter

granted not a great start but all them games could have swung either way

But they didn't, and to get one point from a run of fixtures which includes Palace, Sunderland, Leicester, West Brom and Stoke is a total disgrace. 

• Like 2

The results on the field are not acceptable.  But my problem is not with the new players or the amount spent.  It's with what is supposedly "Tactic's" Tim's strength!  The tactics are all at odds with themselves. I sometimes disagree with the tactical approach he decides on, but that's OK, it's all opinions, but he is setting up formations whose tactic don't match the personnel he's selecting and or the way those players are playing.  So the players are playing in a way that undermines the tactic.

For a simple example, when we have a big target (Gestede), the midfield and wingbacks should be getting down the line and crossing.  But our midfield and wingbacks are doing that when Gabby is the front man. A complete waste. When Gestede is in front, the midfielders are dribbling into the middle of the field where there is no angle for a cross and Gestede's presence has the defense pulled deep and central.  We consistently lose possession between the 18 and the 30 because that's where Gestede's presence has the defense and that's the area we are dribbling into.  And it happens match after match after match.  It's like whatever formation Tim sets up for a particular tactic, the players all play some opposite tactic.

AND IT DOESN"T CHANGE !!!!

the gap between the central two defenders against Stoke is another example.  The formation changed (which means defensive tactic changed) but the center halves positioned themselves like it was a different tactic completely. 

The team is playing at odds within itself.  If tactics Tim wants to play a different tactic every few minutes, that's fine. I don't care.  Even if I don't agree with the tactic.  But when he's setting up the team to play one tactic and the team is playing a different tactic altogether that's his fault.  either he's not managing to his players strengths, selecting those that suit the tactic, or he's not communicating to them what he's doing and the role they should be playing in that tactic.  Either way it's on him and on the coaching.

The Leicester game was a total Sherwood bottle job, and it's has been the players' psychological burden ever since. Joker.

He did the opposite of bottle it, to be fair.  He carried on (trying to) playing attacking stuff when we should've shut up shop!

• Like 1

It's only a matter of time now, if the players think the same, then we've got to act asap.

But EVERYTHING is "only a matter of time." Pregnancy, growing corn, dinosaurs, the implosion of the sun.

I think you're adding a sense of urgency that is simply artificial and contrived. Why? Because you love the club? I can understand that, but it's not reality-based. Yes, things are dire, but there's a fairly wide consensus out there that Tim definitely has more time. You think I'm inventing that?

Exactly how I would line up.

But then, I've been saying that for a while. I think everyone has. If someone is injured, don't change the whole F****** system, change the personnel.

It's really not hard.

I can look past all the bullshit in the media, I can look past the arrogance and even the crazy the substitutions (at times), but I can't excuse picking the wrong XI EVERY week and in a stupid formation.
He's like Lambert on steroids in that sense.

It seems like only yesterday we were discussing who should take over from Lambert. Now we're looking at who might take over from Sherwood.

Safe hands please.

It depends what the overall think is from the board, but I can't argue that he is in a hole

every game we lose moving forward, is making a harder job for a new manager to rescue  the situation.

However, I do have my doubts that anyone can rescue us.

Come on TRO you can't honestly believe the current squad are not better than results suggest - Surely?

I think we have a much better squad than last season and with the right set up could climb the table to finish somewhere between 10th and 15th and comfortably outside the relegation places. Obviously current results don't suggest that but I don't think many people were predicting we would be struggling in the fashion we are during the summer. 

I am genuinely unsure.....I think we lack leaders, players with a fighting spirit....they look happy for the responsibility to be someone elses.

If they could address that and find some fight, they would look much better......I am not doubting their technical ability....its the character, I'm unsure about.

Yes thats my take on it. The players with the fighting spirit like Delph and Cleverley have been replaced by technically good players but as yet haven't shown the same character.

Not sure I agree Paul for the reasons stated in an earlier post. I think the manager isn't playing a system/line up to our or the players strengths.

You could also argue that Delph and Cleverley didn't exactly have anymore fighting spirit than say, Gana or Sanchez who I think are better ball winners. Gana has certainly shown he can put it about. As for character both the two you mentioned done a runner at the first opportunity in the summer and both were in teams that got slaughtered by the opposition at times when playing for us.

Our issues are not due to the players character if anything the managers character is more questionable imo.  

I think Sherwood wants to play this high intense game but can't do so with the current players. Sanchez and Veretout dont give you that in the same way Delph and Cleverley did but Gana has shown he might be able to. When people point to the end of season capitulation, I just think those players ran out of steam. They showed it against West Brom twice, Man City away and Spurs away. 

It seems like only yesterday we were discussing who should take over from Lambert. Now we're looking at who might take over from Sherwood.

Safe hands please.

Two hands, to be precise -- not three pairs in six months.

We're THIS close to a Sunderland-like downward spiral into utter dysfunction. That team is a shambles. Hate to say it, but there are worse things than getting relegated. Today that probably worries me more than Sherwood, who worries me plenty.

Edited by Plastic Man

It's only a matter of time now, if the players think the same, then we've got to act asap.

But EVERYTHING is "only a matter of time." Pregnancy, growing corn, dinosaurs, the implosion of the sun.

I think you're adding a sense of urgency that is simply artificial and contrived. Why? Because you love the club? I can understand that, but it's not reality-based. Yes, things are dire, but there's a fairly wide consensus out there that Tim definitely has more time. You think I'm inventing that?

It's not just time that's conspiring against Sherwood's, it's also his own inadacaquacies as football manager. There's only so many chances he's going to get and obviously they're limited. I'm so convinced that he won't be of this Football Club, that much longer.

It's not just time that's conspiring against Sherwood's, it's also his own inadacaquacies as football manager. There's only so many chances he's going to get and obviously they're limited. I'm so convinced that he won't be of this Football Club, that much longer.

I know, I know. But you're making it sound like "IT MUST HAPPEN TODAY!" and there's no evidence to suggest it will. I keep looking far and wide, and see only, "He should get a little more time."

Â