The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

To be fair I'd say we are incredibly patient on a whole as a club including fans when it comes to managers. Lambert for example wouldn't have lasted that long in my opinion at most, if not all other premier league clubs. It's good as the manager always has support but equally once your time is up, it's up.

Yep. I think I backed Lambert for far too long (not that my opinion matters) but I can only speak for myself.

As for Tim. He has my backing - and even if I do criticise him, that doesn't change as he deserves time. I even used to criticise Lambert when I backed him (and actually wasn't keen on the young and hungry players he was bringing in at the beginning), but I backed him.

A very risky line-up ,in my opinion, but we got through. I don't know whether to say``Well done, Tim,'' or ``Don't ever do that again''.

If we had games like that every week I'd buy a **** box, let alone a season ticket. It was great.

• Like 4

Strange team selection but from Tims postmatch comments it looks as if this is due to trying to shoe-horn a number of attacking players in need of minutes into the team rather than tactical naivety, although I'm sure this was a learning experience for him in terms of underestimating lower league opposition.

I don't think he underestimated them at all, he estimated them correctly. We were massively dominant, and would have won comfortably in normal time barring a fluke deflection and a goalkeeping blunder. The team he put out was far too strong for County and that's exactly what we saw. 

A very risky line-up ,in my opinion, but we got through. I don't know whether to say``Well done, Tim,'' or ``Don't ever do that again''.

If we had games like that every week I'd buy a **** box, let alone a season ticket. It was great.

I was a bit asleep last night and couldn't think - but I wanted to know if Gil did well? You might have said he did, but I was half asleep.

We won but the manner in which we did could cost us this weekend, if we're fatigued. I'd rather have won 1-0 in the 90 minutes rather than gone into extra time. But at least we did win and hopefully scoring five goals will have it's own benefits too, in regards to confidence in front of goal.

• Like 1

In the match thread I said 'we will see after 90 mins' (I wasn't quite right!), but can't really say that and then moan about it - after all, we won. Yes I wasn't keen on some of the decisions, yes I felt we should have had another defender ready in case Sanchez went missing, but we won. I am not going to moan about a win.

I was a bit asleep last night and couldn't think - but I wanted to know if Gil did well? You might have said he did, but I was half asleep.

He was one of four of our players that I think played very well

Grealish

Gil

Sanchez

Veretout

Probably in that order.

We won but the manner in which we did could cost us this weekend, if we're fatigued. I'd rather have won 1-0 in the 90 minutes rather than gone into extra time. But at least we did win and hopefully scoring five goals will have it's own benefits too, in regards to confidence in front of goal.

It's the start of the season though - and players need minutes at the moment. I can see why Tim gave time to players, it was needed.

• Like 1

Grealish

Gil

Sanchez

Veretout

Probably in that order.

Brilliant.

Exciting.. I've taken the morning off and am just booting up football manager with all our new players.  :wub: just because I want to play with this much attacking talent  :D

• Like 2

I take your point, but I'd be surprised if more than two or three of them would have been in the starting XI on Saturday anyway. Grealish definitely will be, but who else really? 

Grealish

Gil

Sanchez

Veretout

Probably in that order.

I'm glad someone else thought Veretout played well. I think he's going to be a cracking player once fully up to speed. I can see him and Gueye being the midfield 2 soon with Westy or Sanchez coming I as DM when needed. Sinclair didn't do too much but he scores goals for that reason alone you've got to get him in the team some how.

I don't know I didn't really think of that.. Maybe Veretout, Ayew, GIl, Traore (if fit) might be in contention. I'm sure Sherwood will have some sort of plan to combat any tiredness we might have.

I am so sick of those saying he doesnt know what he is doing !!!!!

You might not like it.  You might hate it.  You might do it differently.

All fair enough.

But cease with the nonsense that it didnt occur to him the set up might be a bit risky, or that he actually doesnt understand tactics, it is so silly.

Yes you will find something in EVERY game that enables you to pursue that type of Agenda but it doesnt make it any more realistic.

One of the recent classics coming out of this thread by those who want to find fault is that it simultaeneously should have been "a walk in the park", and similar, "only League TWo opposition".....yet the same people saying he underestimated them or disrespected them..!!!!!.......talk about lack of sense of self awareness or irony !!

• Like 4

Last night was just further proof that our manager is tactically inept.

He is a great motivator but, that is nowhere near enough.

In the league games so far, he has played 3 defensive midfielders in Westwood, is there really a need to comment. Veretout, who has only played as a central, or attacking midfielder, on rare occasions, when filling in because of injuries. Gueye who has been a DM his entire career until last season, when again because of team injury, he was used as a box-to-box player.

And of course Sanchez had time on the pitch.

How, in the name of Christ, can a manager expect a midfield consisting of 3 Dm's to create chances for a forward line consisting, in the first two games of 3 left-wingers.  

Agbonlahor has played left wing for 2 years, mainly I suspect because he couldn't hit the ground if he jumped out of a window.

Sinclair has always been a left winger.

Ayew has also always been a left winger, until last season, when he filled in, in a central striker role because of long-term club injuries.

Playing 6 of those 7 players in the same team means a lack of pace in trying to create.

An impossibility to create for strikers who inevitably take the same ground.

This means a totally unbalanced team.

Another failing in the manager is his failure to understand that changes can be made before the 70th minute. For example the cup final against Arsenal, many fans were calling for tactical and personnel changes after 10 minutes but, the manager failed to act. Either because he didn't see what was wrong or, he was just to full of his own ego to see he'd got it totally wrong. 

Bollocks

• Like 4

I think the starting line up on Saturday will be quite different so we should be fresh enough

Edited by KHV

Depends how you spin it really. The thing I like about last night is that we came back from a goal down 3 times and then went on to win the game. However much the line up was to blame, league 2 side etc etc that's a good feeling for those players to experience and great that it happened 4 games in to the season, especially with a new bunch of players. nicely galvanising. 

Â