The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Last night was just further proof that our manager is tactically inept.

He is a great motivator but, that is nowhere near enough.

In the league games so far, he has played 3 defensive midfielders in Westwood, is there really a need to comment. Veretout, who has only played as a central, or attacking midfielder, on rare occasions, when filling in because of injuries. Gueye who has been a DM his entire career until last season, when again because of team injury, he was used as a box-to-box player.

And of course Sanchez had time on the pitch.

How, in the name of Christ, can a manager expect a midfield consisting of 3 Dm's to create chances for a forward line consisting, in the first two games of 3 left-wingers.  

Agbonlahor has played left wing for 2 years, mainly I suspect because he couldn't hit the ground if he jumped out of a window.

Sinclair has always been a left winger.

Ayew has also always been a left winger, until last season, when he filled in, in a central striker role because of long-term club injuries.

Playing 6 of those 7 players in the same team means a lack of pace in trying to create.

An impossibility to create for strikers who inevitably take the same ground.

This means a totally unbalanced team.

Another failing in the manager is his failure to understand that changes can be made before the 70th minute. For example the cup final against Arsenal, many fans were calling for tactical and personnel changes after 10 minutes but, the manager failed to act. Either because he didn't see what was wrong or, he was just to full of his own ego to see he'd got it totally wrong. 

In the league games so far, he has played 3 defensive midfielders in Westwood, is there really a need to comment. Veretout, who has only played as a central, or attacking midfielder, on rare occasions, when filling in because of injuries. Gueye who has been a DM his entire career until last season, when again because of team injury, he was used as a box-to-box player.

How, in the name of Christ, can a manager expect a midfield consisting of 3 Dm's to create chances for a forward line consisting, in the first two games of 3 left-wingers.  

Agbonlahor has played left wing for 2 years, mainly I suspect because he couldn't hit the ground if he jumped out of a window.

Ayew has also always been a left winger, until last season, when he filled in, in a central striker role because of long-term club injuries.

Playing 6 of those 7 players in the same team means a lack of pace in trying to create.

Another failing in the manager is his failure to understand that changes can be made before the 70th minute. For example the cup final against Arsenal, many fans were calling for tactical and personnel changes after 10 minutes but, the manager failed to act. Either because he didn't see what was wrong or, he was just to full of his own ego to see he'd got it totally wrong. 

:huh: My head hurts

On reflection I will admit that being 3-2 down against Notss County going into the last phase of the game having never been in the lead probably did influence me a little.  However,  all it did was heighten my feeling of "thats a bizarre line up".  The line up was still bizarre!

• Like 1

He admitted that he knew we would be open but the boys he picked needed the game time. Thought we would have enough anyway.

We did.

I'm hoping we can bring in some defensive cover, so we can play those who need it but also have good options. Not having options on the bench was odd tbh.

To be fair, one of the subs had an assist and another scored.

This is up there as one of the worst posts in VT history.

• Like 2

It wasn't that bizarre when you saw how they lined up.

Sanchez was a dedicated CB so we had a normal back 4.

Veretout was a dedicated DM which meant Grealish and Gil played further forward.

Sinclair and Adama were wide with Ayew up front.

It's really not very bizarre at all. Yes it's weakened compared to our starting XI. But people are acting like we played 2-1-7

• Like 1

He admitted that he knew we would be open but the boys he picked needed the game time. Thought we would have enough anyway.

We did.

I'm hoping we can bring in some defensive cover, so we can play those who need it but also have good options. Not having options on the bench was odd tbh.

I was talking either Richards, Clark or Senderos.

We did.

Ah fair enough. In that case you're right.

It seems the only people who moaned about last nights performance are the ones who never watched it. Sherwood said afterwards he knew we'd be open but the players needed game time and he was confident we'd go through yet some ignore this to push their own anti Sherwood agenda. I thought so called tactics Tim and his 442 myth was dispelled last year when he out smarted Rodgers and very rarely played 442 but it seems some have short memories. Last night we achieved everything and more of what we wanted. We are through. Our players showed great character and also got some much needed game time. It also highlighted what we all know that we need strengthening at the back. We are a couple of players away from having a very strong squad now it's over to TS to get them in.

• Like 1

It wasn't that bizarre when you saw how they lined up.

Sanchez was a dedicated CB so we had a normal back 4.

Veretout was a dedicated DM which meant Grealish and Gil played further forward.

Sinclair and Adama were wide with Ayew up front.

It's really not very bizarre at all. Yes it's weakened compared to our starting XI. But people are acting like we played 2-1-7

Can some one report this post it's too sensible today is outrage only day!!

• Like 1

I didn't watch it, but we won and players that needed time, got it.

Sorted.

If you're wasting your time writing an essay about how bad the manager is after a 5-3 defeat, I'd hate to see what you'd write after we lose.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I know Westwood's good, but he's not 3 defensive midfielders!

I thought someone was going on holiday? We need to change the record already.

On topic, I'm so done with this attitude of not giving managers time. He kept us up, bought well on the whole (another forward please) and has me excited about Villa again. Long may that continue. I watch football with hope but I'm old enough to know there are a million things any manager does that could be picked apart and questioned. We're anything but world beaters but I'm down with giving Sherwood a little of my faith and in seeing what he can do long term. In my opinion, there are people who fancy themselves as armchair managers and they always seem to be the ones who moan more than is reasonable.

I don't give Sherwood too much slack either - last night was a little risky, but you can accept he wanted to give the players he chose game time. The riskiest area for me was the midfield three, but they by accounts played well.

I also couldn't stand it when we appointed him, but he's won me over as I think he's got the balls and the personality for a team like Villa. He's not smalltime like our previous two managers. I think he's proved that in the transfer market and in his attitude. Still, he's building on weak foundations - weak foundations that also lost the two best players - this season is so fresh and it's a whole new thing from last season. To jump on his back now feels sad tbh. Now, a striker please, Lescott too.

• Like 3

Had you watched the game (and that's not a dig, I'm just saying it's hard to explain without seeing it) you'd see that in a funny way it was quite comfortable.

Their goals came from nothing and it never once felt like we were going to lose the game. Just that we'd had a setback.

Again, I've been a Sherwood critic in the past so if there was any reason to have a go at him I'd probably take it. But last night was fine. 

Woody, yesterday you were moaning that we were boring. Last night we were very exciting. You basically got your wish.

Just want to agree with this comment. I don't know what was being said on the BBC ticker or radio Nottinghamshire or whatever, but people who didn't go to the game seem to have a very different opinion from those who did. We genuinely played pretty well, and there's no reason at all to have a go at Sherwood after that game. None. 

We did.

Ah fair enough. In that case you're right.

Under basically no circumstances would we have needed it. We had the players on the pitch to keep them under sustained pressure. We would have needed a first-team defender on the bench only if we were going to be defending a 1-0 lead in the last ten minutes or something, that wasn't at all likely given the game, the plan or the opposition. 

On reflection I will admit that being 3-2 down against Notss County going into the last phase of the game having never been in the lead probably did influence me a little.  However,  all it did was heighten my feeling of "thats a bizarre line up".  The line up was still bizarre!

I've seen this a lot, about the bizarre team selection, and I just don't think it was that unthinkable bearing in mind the game, the competition and personnel. Only three players played genuinely out of position - Sanchez, Gil and Bennett in his cameo - and all three played excellently. 

To be fair I'd say we are incredibly patient on a whole as a club including fans when it comes to managers. Lambert for example wouldn't have lasted that long in my opinion at most, if not all other premier league clubs. It's good as the manager always has support but equally once your time is up, it's up.

Strange team selection but from Tims postmatch comments it looks as if this is due to trying to shoe-horn a number of attacking players in need of minutes into the team rather than tactical naivety, although I'm sure this was a learning experience for him in terms of underestimating lower league opposition.

Â