The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He kept us up when we were nailed on to go down and even got us a trip to Wembley  ...... and then he got found out for the Charlatan we thought he might be  

but all in all I think we should thank him and wish him well

• Like 3

I don't have anything against Tim, in fact I desperately wanted him to succeed, because I love managers with personality who are entertaining. However, it clearly wasn't working, for whatever reason(s). Some of the comments about him are way over the top - he's failed as our manager, like so many others, he hasn't killed anyone. I have found that most of the media are sitting on the fence - "Tim hasn't been getting the results and Villa are in danger, but we don't really know whats going on behind the scenes, or who bought the players, so maybe its harsh to blame it all on Tim" - is an example of the kind of things I've heard and read from those who don't really have any ties to Villa. Its hardly mass condemnation of our board for sacking him.

I have to say though - given that everyone is criticising Sherwood and the media because so many pundits are saying he's been sacked too quickly, I'm really surprised he hasn't given an interview to anyone today so that he can give his side of story. He doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke who is going to sit quietly and allow others to quasi-defend him. He will probably want to work again, and a failed 8 month spell at Villa is not great on his CV.

I don't see how Lambert was worse, he had much tougher circumstances than Sherwood and he achieved the goals he was set by the board until he had to go.  This season has been the worst managerial performance I have ever seen, every single aspect of Sherwood's performance has been embarrassing.

• Like 4

I also heard the Paul Mortimer interview, quite by chance as I usually never have Talkshite on in the car (or anywhere).

I thought it strange he referred to Villa as "we" and "us" like he was a club legend. He was pants and BFR soon shipped him out.

Oh and his comments were rubbish too.

paul mortimer? i saw the original post and assumed it was dennis

who the **** is paul mortimer?

I also heard the Paul Mortimer interview, quite by chance as I usually never have Talkshite on in the car (or anywhere).

I thought it strange he referred to Villa as "we" and "us" like he was a club legend. He was pants and BFR soon shipped him out.

Oh and his comments were rubbish too.

paul mortimer? i saw the original post and assumed it was dennis

who the **** is paul mortimer?

maybe Dennis has been quoted...I only heard Paul though

Edited by rjw63
spelling

He's far from the worst manager we have ever had. In my time Lambert, McLeish, GT mk II were much worse.

He's worse than all of those. Easily.

The only thing that's saved him is the fact we've got rid of him so quickly.

• Like 4

He gave me the FA Cup Semi Final and kept us up when we were doomed. After Hull I was readying myself for the Championship. That alone makes him better than those two as AVFC manager.  Overall manager? Hard to say. Sherwood did well at Spurs but Lambert did well with Norwich. Sherwood is no doubt a bit of a chancer but he produced when the other two didn't.

He kept us up when we were nailed on to go down and even got us a trip to Wembley  ...... and then he got found out for the Charlatan we thought he might be  

but all in all I think we should thank him and wish him well

Nah thanks, he is probably walking away with a couple of million. **** him, the word removed.

His statement has been released through the League Managers' Association: 

"I am very disappointed that I will not be able to carry on in my role as manager of Aston Villa. I knew when I took on the role that it would be a big challenge, but it proved to be one I greatly enjoyed and I know I have learned a lot from this experience. Obviously, the initial priority was to stay in the Premier League, but beating Liverpool in the FA Cup semi at Wembley and then leading the team out for the final was an achievement and experience that I will treasure for the rest of my career. I'd like to thank my coaching staff and the staff throughout the club for their dedication, the Villa fans for their passionate support and the players, who gave everything during my time at the club. I wish the club all the best for the rest of the season and indeed for the future."

His statement has been released through the League Managers' Association: 

"I am very disappointed that I will not be able to carry on in my role as manager of Aston Villa. I knew when I took on the role that it would be a big challenge, but it proved to be one I greatly enjoyed and I know I have learned a lot from this experience. Obviously, the initial priority was to stay in the Premier League, but beating Liverpool in the FA Cup semi at Wembley and then leading the team out for the final was an achievement and experience that I will treasure for the rest of my career. I'd like to thank my coaching staff and the staff throughout the club for their dedication, the Villa fans for their passionate support and the players, who gave everything during my time at the club. I wish the club all the best for the rest of the season and indeed for the future."

To be fair, that is a very decent and dignified statement, if he says nothing else then I don't think he deserves any abuse.

• Like 4

who gave everything during my time at the club[/quote]

Really disagree and i think that been one of the most disappointing things about us this season, the games vs baggies and stoke, 2 teams every bit as poor as us but wanted the game more, vs chelsea playing well, as soon as they scored the heads dropped, we had no fight in us at all

He gave me the FA Cup Semi Final and kept us up when we were doomed.

Doomed!!!! We were in the bottom 3 on goal difference and two points off 14th place. Hardly doomed.  He's left us in a far worse position than the one he took over.

• Like 1

Doomed!!!! We were in the bottom 3 on goal difference and two points off 14th place. Hardly doomed.  He's left us in a far worse position than the one he took over.

That's true, but we hadn't won for months with Lambert, were barely scoring and the players had visibly given up. None of those things are visible simply by looking at the league table. 

Tim has left us in possibly an even worse position, but both have left the club in an absolute state. I can't wait for them to both be ancient history. 

I'd say the last few performances were not as shit and awful as the end of McLeish and Lambert. Same results though so makes little difference. 

I don't hate him, but I hated Lambert and mcleish so I can understand why others do.

That's true, but we hadn't won for months with Lambert, were barely scoring and the players had visibly given up. None of those things are visible simply by looking at the league table. 

Tim has left us in possibly an even worse position, but both have left the club in an absolute state. I can't wait for them to both be ancient history. 

I don't believe he's left us in a worse state at all. We are on a nightmare run, but in pretty much all games we played we have been in with a shout and they have generally been lost because a stupid mistake. We havbn't been outclassed our outplayed by anyone really, and while its clear confidence is low because of results, the team is still playing decent football at times. Christ we are scoring a few goals at least.

Under Lambert we couldn't even create a chance, nevermind score a goal. The game at Hull was one of our worst performances ever. Its not comparable to the Cup Final, because Hull are not Arsenal.

Also - we have loads more games between now and the end of January, so its entirely plausible that we might be out of the bottom 3 by then.

Â