The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He gave me the FA Cup Semi Final and kept us up when we were doomed.

Doomed!!!! We were in the bottom 3 on goal difference and two points off 14th place. Hardly doomed.  He's left us in a far worse position than the one he took over.

That's true, but we hadn't won for months with Lambert, were barely scoring and the players had visibly given up. None of those things are visible simply by looking at the league table. 

Tim has left us in possibly an even worse position, but both have left the club in an absolute state. I can't wait for them to both be ancient history. 

I don't believe he's left us in a worse state at all. We are on a nightmare run, but in pretty much all games we played we have been in with a shout and they have generally been lost because a stupid mistake. We havbn't been outclassed our outplayed by anyone really, and while its clear confidence is low because of results, the team is still playing decent football at times. Christ we are scoring a few goals at least.

Under Lambert we couldn't even create a chance, nevermind score a goal. The game at Hull was one of our worst performances ever. Its not comparable to the Cup Final, because Hull are not Arsenal.

Also - we have loads more games between now and the end of January, so its entirely plausible that we might be out of the bottom 3 by then.

Bottom line, more than 25% of the season gone and we're cut adrift at the bottom of the table, already two games from safety. You can take your 'being in with a shout' and 'not being outclassed by anyone really' and see how much you get for them. Points are what matters. 

• Like 1

agreed we haven't been outplayed, and we have dropped points due to stupid mistakes - but alot of those mistakes were made by Sherwood.

He messed up with substitutions again against Swansea, failing to take off Richardson who was getting completely exposed as the game went on, and bringing on Amavi, who has the pace to deal with the sub Swansea brought on. But no Sherwood was happy to do nothing and then watch as the winning goal came down Richardsons side. He then moaned about players running out of steam ignoring that he failed to use all his subs.

He wont manage in the premier league again, i expect to see him as one of the reserve soccer special pundits on sky, covering the lower league and cup games.

• Like 1

No chance. Lambert and mcLeish are managers. Sherwood isn't even that. He's a chancer. If I had to have one of those three back now Sherwood would be bottom of the list.

I can't see past the last few months of his reign when I think of Lambert. The worst football I have ever seen in my life. I hated us as a club during that time and that's why he'll always be the worst manager in my eyes.

Overall though, what 3 poor managers! Jeez, we must have run over a lot of black cats in a previous existence 

• Like 2

I also heard the Paul Mortimer interview, quite by chance as I usually never have Talkshite on in the car (or anywhere).

I thought it strange he referred to Villa as "we" and "us" like he was a club legend. He was pants and BFR soon shipped him out.

Oh and his comments were rubbish too.

paul mortimer? i saw the original post and assumed it was dennis

who the **** is paul mortimer?

Lazy left winger purchased by Big Ron. Played about 10 games, scored once and was sold. The N'zogbia of his time!

• Like 1

No chance. Lambert and mcLeish are managers. Sherwood isn't even that. He's a chancer. If I had to have one of those three back now Sherwood would be bottom of the list.

I can't see past the last few months of his reign when I think of Lambert. The worst football I have ever seen in my life. I hated us as a club during that time and that's why he'll always be the worst manager in my eyes.

Overall though, what 3 poor managers! Jeez, we must have run over a lot of black cats in a previous existence 

The football this season has been as bad as anything Lambert served up.

Lambert was a crap manager. But the mere fact he actually is a manager makes him better than Sherwood. Sherwood is like a competition winner.

I agree the football has been shit this year, but we occasionally look threatening and do score the odd goal. That spell last season we weren't even doing what. It made me want to weep!

I pray the next manager is competent

Doomed!!!! We were in the bottom 3 on goal difference and two points off 14th place. Hardly doomed.  He's left us in a far worse position than the one he took over.

That's true, but we hadn't won for months with Lambert, were barely scoring and the players had visibly given up. None of those things are visible simply by looking at the league table. 

Tim has left us in possibly an even worse position, but both have left the club in an absolute state. I can't wait for them to both be ancient history. 

I don't believe he's left us in a worse state at all. We are on a nightmare run, but in pretty much all games we played we have been in with a shout and they have generally been lost because a stupid mistake. We havbn't been outclassed our outplayed by anyone really, and while its clear confidence is low because of results, the team is still playing decent football at times. Christ we are scoring a few goals at least.

Under Lambert we couldn't even create a chance, nevermind score a goal. The game at Hull was one of our worst performances ever. Its not comparable to the Cup Final, because Hull are not Arsenal.

Also - we have loads more games between now and the end of January, so its entirely plausible that we might be out of the bottom 3 by then.

Bottom line, more than 25% of the season gone and we're cut adrift at the bottom of the table, already two games from safety. You can take your 'being in with a shout' and 'not being outclassed by anyone really' and see how much you get for them. Points are what matters. 

And when Lambert left more than 66% of the season was gone and we were 2 points adrift. -1 game from safety.

If your argument is that if Sherwood had stayed until February then we would have been in worse position now than when he took over, then yes you are possibly right. But I would much rather be where we are now and looking for a new manager, than where we were when Lambert left.

If we make a decent appointment now, we have the makings of a team that can finish 10th-15th.

And when Lambert left more than 66% of the season was gone and we were 2 points adrift. -1 game from safety.

If your argument is that if Sherwood had stayed until February then we would have been in worse position now than when he took over, then yes you are possibly right. But I would much rather be where we are now and looking for a new manager, than where we were when Lambert left.

If we make a decent appointment now, we have the makings of a team that can finish 10th-15th.

I appreciate this discussion is academic really. My point is they were roughly equally shit. I mean, yes, it is better (in some ways) that we have more time to get the points we need (although I doubt the points-per-game required are that different) but the reason Sherwood's successor has more time is because Sherwood failed so rapidly. It's not a recommendation for him.

• Like 1

I don't know why there is so much soul searching for the next manager.

pick one at random and give him a few games to get a win

failing that

sack him.....we will get it right eventually.

• Like 2

I don't know why there is so much soul searching for the next manager.

pick one at random and give him a few games to get a win

failing that

sack him.....we will get it right eventually.

So much bitterness. Wow.

• Like 1

Im only judging them on the job they did at Villa. Sherwood was better than both of them and certainly played better football

I don't know why people are praising him for his statement,. He's hardly going to come out and slate the club.

it's probably an identikit LMA statement that they change as appropriate for any manager and club.  I can assure you we will hear exactly what he thinks in due course, I just hope he's not on the football I subscribe to on TV.

• Like 3

Disagree. The football this season has been as bad as anything those two served up. Like I said, the only thing that has saved Sherwood is that we pulled the plug so soon.

It's all about opinions but I disagree. I don't think the way we've played this season is as bad as the end of Lambert's spell or with McLeish. At the start of this season we were the better team for most of the match and that Swansea performance was miles better than Lambert's last game. But both ended in losses so no difference in what we got for both of them as manager.

I'd also say city away, spurs away and Liverpool in the semi were miles better than what Lambert finished with as well. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

I don't know why people are praising him for his statement,. He's hardly going to come out and slate the club.

Didn't you say you nearly cried at Lambert's statement?

Lambert's statement was actually quite moving and you could feel his sincerity in his choice of words.

By the way my saying that I don't know why people are praising Sherwood based on his statement wasn't meant to be a slight on him. Just that it was pretty generic and what else is he going to say. 

Edited by useless

Didn't you say you nearly cried at Lambert's statement?

Lambert's statement was actually quite moving and you could feel his sincerity in his choice of words.

By the way my saying that I don't know why people are praising Sherwood based on his statement wasn't meant to be a slight on him. Just that it was pretty generic and what else is he going to say. 

I agree. Lambert's statement was completely different to Sherwood's

Edited by Arj Guy
  • Like 1

Â