The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

It just shows u how bad the existing squad was

He had to get rid of the losers

Turns out he replaced nearly the entire team...

Andi Weimann will never be a loser in my book. Nor Vlaar, for that matter. It was just time move on from them.

It just shows u how bad the existing squad was

He had to get rid of the losers

Turns out he replaced nearly the entire team...

Andi Weimann will never be a loser in my book. Nor Vlaar, for that matter. It was just time move on from them.

Didn't Weimann post 'job done' with a pic of him with a beer after we escaped relegation? Although I guess that was the mentality at the club at the time.

I'm sure Newcastle fans trusted their scouts with all the French players they brought in... apart from Cabaye, it didn't really work did it?

As I said, it's exciting, i'm just not convinced.

Debuchy :)

Think people are over hyping a bit too be honest. I know he was just kind of dreaming but somebody said 7th. Anything where were not in relegation battle with 4/5 games to go and ill be happy

Ah yeah I forgot about him!

But still, I'm hoping it all works, I'll take a boring season finishing 12th providing we have some attacking entertaining games along the way. Anything above 12th is being unrealistic imo.

I'm sure Newcastle fans trusted their scouts with all the French players they brought in... apart from Cabaye, it didn't really work did it?

As I said, it's exciting, i'm just not convinced.

Debuchy :)

Think people are over hyping a bit too be honest. I know he was just kind of dreaming but somebody said 7th. Anything where were not in relegation battle with 4/5 games to go and ill be happy

Ah yeah I forgot about him!

But still, I'm hoping it all works, I'll take a boring season finishing 12th providing we have some attacking entertaining games along the way. Anything above 12th is being unrealistic imo.

Newcastle are still in the premier league which is good enough at the moment.

Tim has played a blinder in this window but the hardest part of the job is basically ahead of him. He's got to get these guys functioning as a team very quickly.

Indeed.

What I like, though, is that he wasn't arrogant enough to believe he could do it all by himself so he brought in Wilkins. I'm confident they'll function quickly - and, from there, start performing just as quickly.

I've liked Sherwood since he arrived, and this summer very much has a feel of 1995 about it.

I was thinking this exactly yesterday, some parallels - manager took over part way through previous season helped team to just avoid the drop, and then revamps the side with transfers. Not only that a home match with Manchester United in August ;)

I was a huge sceptic at first, but it has been the backroom moves that have helped re-assure me as much as the players bought - Wilkins etc the board bods from Arsenal too, there's a definite sense, of " right, we've been down the wrong end far too long, time to change". 

Cautiously very optimstic I think for this season. Don't expect us to win a cup and finish 4th obviously, but top 10 and and surprising a few people is on the cards. 

I think the demolition/rebuild Sherwood has done under just 1 transfer window is nothing short of remarkable.

Atm we are just 2-3 player away from a "complete" team that should on paper at least be able to compete with the likes of Southampton & Everton once the players gel and Sherwood finds the right tactic.

So now comes the big test for Sherwood and his staff. Get the tactics right, (learn french?) manage the squad, and possibly the biggest question mark; organize the defence.

I've still no idea if Sherwood can do this, but I certainly understand that it might take a while to get everything clicking so I will be patient up to a point.

Obviously I don't wan't to see anymore of that suicidal high defensive line he used a few times during the end of last season. But things are looking exciting.

:flag:

Edited by sne

I was at the Forest game today and sat in with the Forest fans since I went with some friends from work who are supporters. I was sat a row back from the front almost directly behind the dugout and I had to smile at how casual he was at times.

He spent a lot of time just sat on the low wall just to the right of the dugout so he was in full view of the crowd. After the Villa fans shouted 'Sherwood, give us a wave' and he obliged, the Forest fans I was sat in with did the same chant to him. He turned round and gave a cheeky smile and shook his finger but then gave them a wave too which they all cheered at :D It was a nice moment.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Our highest scoring premiership season (from wiki) saw 71 goals. Now I don't think we'll challenge that but the optimism I have in this side and sherwood, I wouldn't be surprised if we challenge our second highest scoring season which was the inaugural yr of the prem (57)

There are turning points in walks of life where you can look back and say "damn, that was it right there"

More so than Man Citeh that decision there, whoever made it, not to bring in a proven goalscorer was what killed us off. Even if we all know MON would never have kept us there consistently we had the chance to at least taste it.

We don't know that - he got us that close with the signings he made, so he might have been able to do it.

Ah well, it's all history now and nothing to do with Sherwood I guess.

For some reason, I don't get the feeling that Sherwood will be with us for that long. I've no idea why.

I literally love Sherwood. I love everything he says, his passion, everything. You can see this job and this club means the entire world to him. I think of all the managers in my time as a Villa fan (so since John Gregory) he's my favourite. It's like having a die hard fan in charge. A lot of people thought he was an idiot when he moved here but he's gradually proving himself to be one of the better English managers.

• Like 2

TS is a winner, he has a lot to prove after what happened at spurs. He will want to show them how he can build a team and challenge at the top. His biggest attribute is the ability to read players and spot talent. He certainly read our squad well when he said they had a losing mentality. He was hurt badly after the last few games last year and the final was the last straw. I still think we have another 5 players he wants to get shot of in this window. exciting times ahead. As for him leaving at the end of the year, I do not think he will unless he wins something and feels its job done or if the club stop backing him.

• Like 1

Â